Thread: Keep engine running after driving?

Name
    Steve R

Default Keep engine running after driving?

I recently purchased my first Ferrari, an F430 F1, and have been working my way through the owners’ manual (I actually enjoy doing this - am I alone?). Apologies in advance if this has been covered on this forum but I couldn’t find anything. Anyway, the manual states that after driving in sport or race (ie just about every single time you use it) you should leave the engine running for ‘several minutes’ to ‘equalise the temperatures’. Does anyone actually do this? What happens if I don’t? I don’t really want to leave an engine idling any more than I have to...

Name
    Ian

This would apply to any car. Pulling in to a lay-by from a fast uphill road for instance, your engine would have a lot of heat in the cylinder head, manifold, pistons and block etc so best to let it idle for a short while to keep the coolant and oil circulating. Even 10 or 20 seconds would help some of the heat transfer.
    I always let my normal car idle for a few seconds if the engine has been worked hard. Reduces the risk of localised boiling pushing coolant out or heat stress in the head etc.
    It’s just a bit of extra mechanical sympathy like letting the engine warm up before you floor the throttle.

Name
    Steve R

Thanks Ian for the response. That does make sense although I have never done that before in any of my cars, and I thought I was relatively sympathetic. Sensible advice for an exotic though and up to thirty seconds would be fine I’m sure. And although I will invariably be in Sport on the road I’m not exactly tackling mountain passes every day...

Incidentally I’d intended this thread to be called ‘Keep engine running AFTER driving - damn autocorrect!

Arron is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Arron

I always leave mine running for a good 1-2 minutes after I pull into the garage, gives me chance to pop the engine cover open and listen to make sure it's not making any noises that I don't think it should be ! I generally leave the cover open for an hour thereafter to help the engine cool off as well.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I must admit I tend to drive the last mile or so nice and steady and generally open the engine cover for a while once stopped.