Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Searching for a 550...

Name
    cgt

Why would a 550 need a suspension rebuild at 50k? I've had a 48k miler and the suspension was perfect. Just like the 355 you may occasionally need a suspension actuator/sensor but that's relatively straightforward. You'll see the orange suspension warning light if this happens. I also replaced the engine mounts for 575 ones, though not particularly worn it's a good upgrade to do (I think the older type are no longer made anyway so you would have to buy 575 ones).

The early cars had steering rack issues but at 20 years old now I doubt there are any cars out there which haven't had that issue resolved long ago.

As I think I mentioned earlier, my 50k miler was more solid and reliable than my low miler, it ran like a watch, no overheating even in extreme heat in Southern Europe, no warning lights, and pin sharp to drive. A car that has been used more drives better, as with any older Ferrari.

You should speak to the dealer Justin Banks of Godin Banks about running a 550 up to high miles, his own personal 550 was up for sale with around 100k miles, which I think he did the bulk of himself. It looked in fantastic condition for the mileage.

I would say from my own experience that a 550 is a more reliable car than newer ones, you are forever dealing with electronic glitches on newer Ferraris as I have on 430 and 458, as well as other modern supercars. In more than 20,000 miles in 550's I can't recall anything bad at all in terms of reliability. They are over engineered cars.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    Why would a 550 need a suspension rebuild at 50k? I've had a 48k miler and the suspension was perfect. Just like the 355 you may occasionally need a suspension actuator/sensor but that's relatively straightforward. You'll see the orange suspension warning light if this happens. I also replaced the engine mounts for 575 ones, though not particularly worn it's a good upgrade to do (I think the older type are no longer made anyway so you would have to buy 575 ones).

The early cars had steering rack issues but at 20 years old now I doubt there are any cars out there which haven't had that issue resolved long ago.

As I think I mentioned earlier, my 50k miler was more solid and reliable than my low miler, it ran like a watch, no overheating even in extreme heat in Southern Europe, no warning lights, and pin sharp to drive. A car that has been used more drives better, as with any older Ferrari.

You should speak to the dealer Justin Banks of Godin Banks about running a 550 up to high miles, his own personal 550 was up for sale with around 100k miles, which I think he did the bulk of himself. It looked in fantastic condition for the mileage.

I would say from my own experience that a 550 is a more reliable car than newer ones, you are forever dealing with electronic glitches on newer Ferraris as I have on 430 and 458, as well as other modern supercars. In more than 20,000 miles in 550's I can't recall anything bad at all in terms of reliability. They are over engineered cars.
    Suspension bushes, go brittle and fail on low mileage cars, dampers sometimes leak and need rebuilding. These are only things I have seen myself on this Tipo. No doubt they are good for >100,000 miles and with regular use but many V12ís donít get exercised enough.

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Outrun FF View Post
    Paul, you know the sports Maserati forum 3200gt brakes fit an F550? Same entirely. Just if you want a cheap source of good components when you do get one.

Ive a pal thatís got a yellow left hand drive one if that interests you?
    Awesome tip, thanks for that!!

As for the 550, although LHD is my first choice, yellow or red isnít what I am after. Thanks for checking though.

Name
    Paul

After have a few email back and forth with the seller of the cheaper 55k miler, it turns out that the car has basically been driven 1000 miles over the past 9 years, and has been stored for the past 2 without being taxed or MOTíd and having not covered a single mile. It turns out the car belong to an older gentleman who lives abroad more than 6months a year and has no use for the car anymore.

The car was resprayed back in March to correct previous miscellaneous substandard resprays over the course of its life.

Looking at the MOT history, the car has had the same advisory for the last 7years, flagging worn front bushes, which have been replaced earlier this year as well. It doesnít look like the car has received a lot of upgrades/fixes outside the a bi-annual standard service given the ultra low mileage covered over that period. The car will receive a major / belts before the sale, and will get the upgraded engine cooling hose. It all got the sticky button and a dash retrim over the past 3 years...
    I will check the car out, as it might be an interesting option, as long as the story checks out and that itís really a matter of an older owner selling a car for lack of use, provided itís been well maintained under his ownership.

Will report back shortly

sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Had my 550 now for nearly 11yrs. Bought with 26000 miles on, it clocked up 71000 last week in France.
    Reliability has been excellent. My biggest issue was a burst hose which left me stranded on the way to the Goodwood Revival a few years ago. Told clutches last 45-50000 miles, mine did 63000 but cost £3k to replace.
    Contrary to a previous reply not all 550 dashboards suffer the leather shrinkage, mine been a late car (2002) had the improved adhesive so has not suffered this issue. What all 550s (& 456s) suffer is windows dropping. Mine has been repaired once but slowly they are going again. This is apparently a design issue and seems there is no upgrade available (Someone please advise me otherwise).
    Tried various tyres - both Pirellis and Bridgestone suffer aquaplaning. Now bitten the bullet and fitted an expensive set of Michelin Pilots 12 months ago and the car has been transformed. You get what you pay for its seems....
    I love this car and will not be selling any time soon. Rock on 100000miles.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward Ė just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    Paul

Thanks for your input sweeni.

By the way - would you guys even consider a car thatís sat around for the past 9 years and having only cover 1,000 miles over that time? (Shame isnít it?) and itís actually done no more than 100 miles over the past 4...

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post

By the way - would you guys even consider a car thatís sat around for the past 9 years and having only cover 1,000 miles over that time? (Shame isnít it?) and itís actually done no more than 100 miles over the past 4...
    I think it depends entirely on how itís been stored and whatís been done since. Properly stored then fully recommissioned and a full PPI then yes, why not? Literally thousands of these cars are stored at some point in their lives. Just sat in a damp garage then just had a regular service and put back on the road then no I personally wouldnít - any number of problems could crop up in the first year or so of regular use due to components that have degraded over that time.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post

No would be my quick answer unless you were prepared to do a full and thorough recommission which is economically self-defeating when you consider price.

If you bought a washing machine that had sat for this long you can expect all sorts of failures in the first few months. For most Folk that's exactly the honeymoon period when they will want to be using their new car all the time and make some long journeys. Cracked, hoses, brittle connectors, sensors playing up, leaking seals. All the sorts of things that can occur when the car is un-used for long periods.

I did exactly this with my first V12 and it soured my experience.

I thought the market wisdom of buying low mileage cars was correct and it was an expensive exercise in the end. I should have bought a regularly used car

Name
    cgt

I agree. Any older Ferrari is always much better when regularly used. Cars that have sat for even a year could be a can of worms.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Name
    ian

I echo sweeni.. had mine 8 years.. no leather shrinkage.. 100% reliability.. done 22000 mikes with it.. awesome car ..future classic.. juat had rear bushes done.. next week its ceramic coating 😁😁😁😁

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast