Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service history and GDPR

Name
    Steve R

Default Service history and GDPR

When I bought my first Ferrari a month and a half ago from a main dealer I asked for copies of previous service records so I could build up a proper history file. The service book is stamped with full main dealer stamps but has no details of work carried out within these or any additional work that had been carried out.

The car is clearly in excellent condition and appears to have been looked after to a very high level by previous owners - it achieved a gold at a national Ferrari concours in 2016 (one of the few bits of paperwork I do have).

However, the dealer said they were unable to provide any paperwork besides redacted copies of the two services they had carried out, due to GDPR restrictions. I called two other dealers who had stamped the service book previously and was told the same.

I find it very frustrating that redacted copies of all of these records canít be supplied. This must be common though, right? Others here must have encountered the same if itís down to GDPR. I know all the details are stored on the Ferrari database but thatís no use to me as a current owner or the next owner when that time comes if we canít actually see them for ourselves. I intend for the car to be serviced by a local independent who presumably also wonít be able to access these records.

Iím not interested in who had the car before me, just what kind of life it has had. Has anyone else found a way around this..?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Yep, I've come across exactly this. My car had a few services stamped by a main dealer from the first and second owners but no paperwork, car seems to have been looked after though. I tried to get copies from the main dealer to build up an early history (no paperwork prior to 3 years before my ownership) to be told they couldn't give me anything as I wasn't the name on any bills. Annoying. I gave up and so the paperwork history for my car only starts about 12 years ago. Kind of figured this would matter less and less as time goes by and the history I build up grows.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

From a main dealer this is bs in my view. Basically they canít be bothered as everybody is **** scared of the legislation so the easy answer is donít give any info.

If you register your car on Ferrariís MyFerrari app, it is suppose to pull up all the service history for the car. This is obviously age dependant, but the point is if their app is suppose to do it, why not the dealer with a thick black marker!!

You could always try old school and for example put out calls on foc etc for previous owners; Iíve seen that s few times.

Name
    CPD

In my experience this is entirely to prevent additional Ďsticker shockí with Ferrariís. Many new to the brand have palpitations when handed all the invoices especially when a full and comprehensive history is fully present. It is precisely one of the reasons Ferrari went to fully inclusive servicing not just for new owners but mainly for the used life of the vehicle. Some parts and processes are eye wateringly expensive mainly due to the low volume production numbers but other bills do seemingly have a ĎFerrari taxí factor. I remember my first experience of the brand was looking at late 90ís onwards cars and I was shocked at the bills many cars had amassed. So much so that I waited until my income went up before indulging.

Name
    Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    If you register your car on Ferrariís MyFerrari app, it is suppose to pull up all the service history for the car. This is obviously age dependant, but the point is if their app is suppose to do it, why not the dealer with a thick black marker!!
    Thanks all for the comments. I tried registering - several times - to MyFerrari following your suggestion but after filling it all in it said ĎSorry - details not validí. I have no idea what the parameters are to make it valid and all fields were filled in correctly. My car is a 2007 F430 - why wonít it accept my registration..?

Name
    jos

Maybe you need to register online first https://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/register/ before getting to use the app

If that does not work try going via their support as its not exactly easy for us to diagnose a problem with someone else's site on the basis of I filled it in correctly !

Name
    Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Maybe you need to register online first https://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/register/ before getting to use the app

If that does not work try going via their support as its not exactly easy for us to diagnose a problem with someone else's site on the basis of I filled it in correctly !
    Good point Jos! This is what I have been trying to do unfortunately but actually it says Ďno longer validí once I have filled it all out which suggests I may have been valid once! Pity as it looks like it might have been a good resource. I have tried with two different email accounts but to no avail. Ho hum.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I registered on the site and then tried to log in. Basically it said piss off details invalid. I tried resetting the password etc with the same result.

A few days later an email pops up saying I'm all registered and you can now use the App. I'm now in and whilst my car is there, as its a 92, none of the dealer service histroy from previous is, not suprisingly.

So, doesn't tell you this when you register, but appears it takes your info and does "something" for a few days before allowing you in. (Sounds typical Italian, SNAFU!)

Name
    Andy Chadwick

I had this very issue when I bought my 458 from a main dealer. No previous invoices were handed over and when I asked for them they said they couldn't due to GDPR.

I subsequently tried to get various dealers to supply me a copy of work they had undertaken but pretty much met with no, can't do that sorry.
    While the service book book may be stamped up to date you loose any history of additional and warranty work which may have been done.

When I sold the 360 privately the new owner got a massive folder full of invoices dating back to day one of its existence.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by achaddy View Post
    I had this very issue when I bought my 458 from a main dealer. No previous invoices were handed over and when I asked for them they said they couldn't due to GDPR.
    Disgusting. I'd pull the plug on the purchase over that. There's no way, absolutely no way that this should get in the way of them supplying paperwork with the previous owner's details removed. A crazy and extremely lazy working practice.

What about the V5? Do they not supply that due to it having the previous owner's details on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast