View Poll Results: Is the 348 a good Ferrari?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

106 70.20%
  • No

18 11.92%
  • In someways

19 12.58%
  • Undecided

8 5.30%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the 348 a good Ferrari ?

Name
    Justin Kenyon

Default Is the 348 a good Ferrari ?

With all the banter about the 348, is it really a bad ferrari ?
    I still think its a awesome ferrari

Everytime I see my 348 spider I love the look and ,lines of the car and how it drives.

I am looking to sell my 348 in Austria in the New Year and will be in the market for another Ferrari. Would have gallardo but out my price range at the moment.

I drove Pauls 355 spider last weekend and found the 348 felt better interms of steering. The 348 feels like a go-kart, you have a better feel of the road.
    The road I drove the 355 on I know very well and use all the time in the 348. I noticed no difference in cornering speed. Never had the problem with high speed cornering in the 348 like some drivers have in their 348's or that was reported in the press.

The 355 gearbox is smoother where the 348 has a more mechanical & knotchy feel when changing gears.

The noise of capristo decatted exhaust sounds better interms of high pitch noise where on the 348 with deacatted tubi has a high pitch (not as much) but also has a deeper growl.

I had trouble getting use to the large diameter airbag steering wheel due to my leg length compared to the momo corsa wheel (300mm) on my 348.

The brakes on both the 355 and 348 felt the same generally.

Interms of performance I really do not think their much in it from 0-100 complared with mine. I have kept up with other 355's in the past on conutry roads (Rick 355GTS) I know my 348 has been upgraded to 365 BHP. Most propably the 355 will do better over 100 mph then the 348.

Interms of looks the 355 looks better with the round lights from the rear. I feel the 355 does not look as aggressive from the front as the 348 does. From the side I like both equally.

Interior wise I like both. I still think the 348 looks modern, really the same as the 355 in some aspects.

The reason I drove pauls car was to decide do I get a 355 or move straight to 360 or 512TR ( I like the LHD one on Pistonheads Classified section).

sletti is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    Name
    Stig

I have to say it's a good car dont I?

As a driver the 348 seems pretty damn excellent to me, and as a frequent passenger in Andy HLS's car, I can't see that the car wants for anything....
    S t i g (as in "a Stig"; not "the Stig")
    Please sponsor me on the Palace to palace bike ride in order to raise money for the Princes Trust.

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

I like the 348 a lot but in standard tune , it's nowhere near as quick as a 355. Here's Autocar's verdict. Full story in link.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT=200080

The F355 doesn?t just remove the odd tenth from the 348s acceleration figures, it slashes away whole seconds, screaming to 60mph in 4.6sec (348 5.9sec), 100mph in 10.6sec (13.9sec) and from 30-70mph in 3.8sec, a scarcely believable 1.4sec more rapidly than its predecessor. To get a grasp of the F355?s shattering pace you need to look beyond the realms of ?ordinary? supercars like the 911 and NSX. Set it against ?untouchables? like a Diablo or a 512 and it doesn?t matter where you freeze the frame between zero and 100mph, the F355 will be in front. Around the banked circuit at Millbrook our car ran to 173mph, just 2mph less than the 512TR managed.The F355 is not simply a better-handling car, it is a different car, period: different manners, different limits, different feel. It is now possible to venture deep into the abilities of the chassis and, in the right circumstances, go safely beyond its limits, something you?d never try in a 348 unless you were certifiable. The improvement in handling has benefited the ride, too, but the most dramatic advance is in body control. Short of a McLaren F1 or a Bugatti EB110 SuperSport, there isn?t another supercar that keeps its mass so tightly in check over a fast, undulating road. For all its vices, the 348 had the most wonderful steering, devoid of assistance and brimming with feel. The F355?s speed-sensitive power-assisted helm, sadly, lacks that exquisite seam of communication which made the 348 such an intimate companion. Ferrari does not fit power steering to the Daytona and with only three turns from lock-to-lock parking manoeuvres call for a lot of muscle. There is also some very vicious kick-back on rough surfaces which is strong enough, momentarily, to snatch the wheel from the driver?s hands.the F355 as the greatest-handling contemporary Ferrari.

Name
    Clive

Tony, Tony, Tony

You should know better than that mate!

It was a complete waste of your precious time posting all that useful information, because as we all know, 348 owners will never let the facts get in the way of a decent argument!

PS I loved the article!

Name
    Jules

Justin - my 348 was a wonderful car, a truly classic Ferrari. IMHO better looking from most angles than the 355, 328 etc. Simple, not too complicated, reliable and sounded awesome. Bad press was all about that bloody 355! Note that no one commented that the 328 was a bad car compared to the 348! All the attention was focussed on the 348 versus the 355 - that's the price of progress, there's got to be a loser.

If I could buy a 348 today, I'd buy a yellow TB, stick on a Tubi decat, get some blinging wheels and I'd have an awesome car.

Name
    AL

Good and Bad but the reason I got a 348 then was because I could not afford a 355. :embarasse So when I had the 348, I just had to make the best of it and enjoy and until I traded it in, I think is not bad of a car after all. :smile:

Name
    Andy Hills

Quote Originally Posted by tonyh
    I like the 348 a lot but in standard tune , it's nowhere near as quick as a 355. Here's Autocar's verdict. Full story in link.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT=200080

The F355 doesn?t just remove the odd tenth from the 348s acceleration figures, it slashes away whole seconds, screaming to 60mph in 4.6sec (348 5.9sec), 100mph in 10.6sec (13.9sec) and from 30-70mph in 3.8sec, a scarcely believable 1.4sec more rapidly than its predecessor. To get a grasp of the F355?s shattering pace you need to look beyond the realms of ?ordinary? supercars like the 911 and NSX. Set it against ?untouchables? like a Diablo or a 512 and it doesn?t matter where you freeze the frame between zero and 100mph, the F355 will be in front. Around the banked circuit at Millbrook our car ran to 173mph, just 2mph less than the 512TR managed.The F355 is not simply a better-handling car, it is a different car, period: different manners, different limits, different feel. It is now possible to venture deep into the abilities of the chassis and, in the right circumstances, go safely beyond its limits, something you?d never try in a 348 unless you were certifiable. The improvement in handling has benefited the ride, too, but the most dramatic advance is in body control. Short of a McLaren F1 or a Bugatti EB110 SuperSport, there isn?t another supercar that keeps its mass so tightly in check over a fast, undulating road. For all its vices, the 348 had the most wonderful steering, devoid of assistance and brimming with feel. The F355?s speed-sensitive power-assisted helm, sadly, lacks that exquisite seam of communication which made the 348 such an intimate companion. Ferrari does not fit power steering to the Daytona and with only three turns from lock-to-lock parking manoeuvres call for a lot of muscle. There is also some very vicious kick-back on rough surfaces which is strong enough, momentarily, to snatch the wheel from the driver?s hands.the F355 as the greatest-handling contemporary Ferrari.
    Have never disputed the fact that a 355 is a quicker car on paper,its on the tarmac that there is nothing in it.

348 is a great car.

Andy.

Name
    X

no sign of Angelis yet

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

My 348 is wonderful and I have no intention of ever selling it - actually, in moments of complete madness, I keep pondering getting another Ferrari as well, rather than instead of. I have not for a second regretted buying it. Of course, things have moved on and the later cars are faster (though not necessarily any cheaper to run...). But personally, I don't get my fun by driving at suicidal speeds on public roads anyway, so it doesn't bother me if something else can outrun me. It is plenty fast enough for me. Besides, my 348 (with decent driver at the wheel) would probably be faster round a track than a 250 GTO. Does that make it a better car? I think not!!!

Jonathan

Name
    Justin Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by Andy HLS
    Have never disputed the fact that a 355 is a quicker car on paper,its on the tarmac that there is nothing in it.

348 is a great car.

Andy.
    Andy love your thinking, It would be great to see 355 and 348 fight it out on the track with experience drivers....

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast