Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-Car was broken into last week

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Angry F-Car was broken into last week

Some of you may be aware that I just started a new gig in Amsterdam this month. So I bought the 360 to Amsterdam three weeks ago but since I donít have an apartment or garage yet and the hotel I am in has no covered parking I have parked it in a public car park until I find a garage for rent. I did my research before bringing the car there and I picked one that was underground, well lit, away from the city center, had security guards and CCTV so thought it would be OK. Itís also used for long term parking so in theory there should be less throughput of cars and people so less chance of parking knocks or opportunist theft or vandalism. I drove the car last Wednesday evening (been away for the last 4 weekends running) and it was fine then.

Anyway, last night I get a call from my mum (car is registered at my parents address). The local police ring her to say the Dutch police have contacted them because thereís been a blue Ferrari parked in a car park in Amsterdam UNLOCKED for several weeks! Is the owner OK and can the owner contact the Dutch police to let them know whatís going on? After reassuring my mum (sheís in her 60ís and not used to calls from the police!) I call the Dutch police and explain the situation but canít understand the unlocked part. They suggest I go lock the car and let the car park security know whatís going on.

So I go check out the car Ė it seems fine at first but sure enough itís unlocked. When I parked it, I disconnected the battery using the isolator switch and locked both doors manually with the key, so canít understand this. Anyway, a bit of investigation showed that when locking the car with the key fob with the battery connected both doors lock OK but the passenger door does not lock manually with the key when the battery is disconnected Ė the key turns in the lock but does not engage the mechanism. So Iíd left it parked in a public car park with the passenger door unlocked for nearly three weeks! The driverís door was also unlocked but I put this down to the police or security messing round trying to lock the car Ė after all they would have had to try the passenger door to discover it was unlocked.

Anyway, luckily no harm done Ė I assume Ė Iíll just lock the passenger door from the inside before I disconnect the battery then lock the driverís door manually from now on. I explained my situation to security and told them the car will probably be there for at least another couple of weeks until I find a more permanent garage so they suggested I move the car to a spot nearer the security office. When I switch on the ignition to do so I notice the engine cover is open from the icon on the dash Ė the first suspicion something is amiss. So I shut the engine cover properly and move the car to the area near the security office. There was an old shape Alfa Spyder parked up with a car cover on Ė obviously there for the long term Ė so figured next to it would be a good spot to park mine and I could then put my car cover on too.

So, car all parked up next to the Alfa, I open the boot to get the car cover out Ė itís gone, along with my crash helmet and a camcorder I had in there! So some ******* has found the passenger door unlocked, discovered the emergency boot release and helped themselves to most of the contents of the boot. They obviously had a look round the engine bay (the reason it was open) but didnít see anything worth nicking. Iím surprised they didnít have the machined aluminum oil and clutch fluid caps with the Ferrari logo away. They would have made a nice trophy on a chain around some pikeyís neck. No doubt an original 360 car cover will look good stretched over a maxxed up corsa in the local council estate. They had a go at the tool kit in the boot Ė the strap was loose Ė but must have bottled it because it was all present and correct. They also left a box of about 200 quids worth of Zymol products behind.

So Iím a bit pissed off about having approx 600 quids worth of stuff nicked out of the boot but at least they didnít key the paint or stick a brick through the window. The car itself is fine as far as I can tell. I doubt itís worth reporting Ė since the car was unlocked the police probably wonít be interested. The car is now properly locked and parked next to the security office. In retrospect I should have told the car park security what I was planning to do from day one so they could have told me the best spot to park and kept an eye on the car. Iím moving into my new apartment on Monday and then I can devote more time to finding a secure garage. So hopefully thatís the last drama of that sort Iíll have whilst Iím here.

Sorry, I got carried away, that post was longer than I planned!

Name
    DCS

Sorry to hear that Gary. But when first read the thread title I had visions of smashed glass, vandal damage etc. Although you havent been lucky mate, it could of been much worse !

Name
    JW

Sucks mate, my daily driver got broken into on Monday night - the old 'skeleton brick, fits any window' technique took my sat nav etc etc.... Luckily my insurance covers all without consequence to my premiums

Name
    Ross

Thats crap news Gary, but in some ways you did get off lightly.

It's just crap to know that some scroat has been through your belongings and in your car without you knowing about it

Best of luck for the rest of your time in 'dam though

Name
    JW

Quote Originally Posted by ross456 View Post
    Best of luck for the rest of your time in 'dam though
    yeah, go bang some brass and smoke some gear

sletti is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    Name
    Stig

That's a big fat bummer, Gary.

Glad to hear there was no damage to the car. If it had been locked, it could have been a whole lot worse.
    S t i g (as in "a Stig"; not "the Stig")
    Please sponsor me on the Palace to palace bike ride in order to raise money for the Princes Trust.

Name
    Si

Quote Originally Posted by sletti View Post

Glad to hear there was no damage to the car. If it had been locked, it could have been a whole lot worse.
    Bummer G, but whats that you're saying Stig leave the doors unlocked??

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Quote Originally Posted by sletti View Post

I think if it had been locked they would have left it alone. They were probably just a couple of oppertunists.

sletti is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    Name
    Stig

Quote Originally Posted by barabus View Post
    Bummer G, but whats that you're saying Stig leave the doors unlocked??
    When my Manta was broken into I sincerely wish I had left the door open because I could not get glass to replace the side window.

Not necesarrily a suggestion, but merely an anecdote .......
    S t i g (as in "a Stig"; not "the Stig")
    Please sponsor me on the Palace to palace bike ride in order to raise money for the Princes Trust.

ii

Talking

Well every cloud has a sliver lining. Got a phone call from the Dutch police again this evening (whilst I was driving the 360 rather ironically). It turns out the stuff in the boot wasnít nicked at all. When the car park security found the car unlocked they checked the boot and when they saw the valuables inside they moved them to their office for safe keeping. The guard on duty when I came to lock up the car didnít know about it so never told me. Since I moved the car over a week ago they phoned the police to find out if I wanted my stuff back! So went round there tonight to pick it up and it was all there in good order. Result!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast