PDA

View Full Version : Torques on engine assembly Ferrari 348

Protrim
17-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Does anyone have the torque figures needed to assemble a Ferrari 348 engine? I belive the engine code is F119. We've been chaning the pistons to lower compression ratio etc for twin turbo conversion.

Ferraritech
17-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Does anyone have the torque figures needed to assemble a Ferrari 348 engine? I belive the engine code is F119. We've been chaning the pistons to lower compression ratio etc for twin turbo conversion.

When you say "torque figures" are you refering to "tightening torque figures" or engine torque ?

ferrari-spider
17-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I referd this guy to come on here malc, after i saw his question on ferrariforum.com (first post on there as well):thumbsup:You were one of the tecs i told him was on here that could answer his question:thumbsup: Any way hi Protrim and welcome to the site, why not go say hi to the guys becourse you will be learning quite alot here:wink3: We even have a Norway section;)

Protrim
17-01-2006, 02:42 PM
@Ferraritech: I'm looking for the tightening torque figures yes. The engine torque we will see from our dyno.
It would be great if you have some info about the camshafts also.

@ferrarispider: Hello and thank you!

stevew
17-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Copied this from the workshop manual,sorry it's not very clear(I'm not sure how to post pages from PDF files properly)This is the only page I can find in my copy,maybe Malcolm can come up with some more data.

Protrim
17-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Where can I find this manual? It would be great to have it in our workshop while we're building the 348.

stevew
17-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Where can I find this manual? It would be great to have it in our workshop while we're building the 348.

I have it on PDF file,it's 91 MB which I think is to big to email,but I'm sure someone will be able to tell us wether it is or not.

ferrari-spider
17-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Tell us ya story Protrim, what project are you working on? Are you a workshop that is doing a twin turbo conversion on a 348 then? Can you tell us anything else?

Ferraritech
17-01-2006, 03:21 PM
@Ferraritech: I'm looking for the tightening torque figures yes. The engine torque we will see from our dyno.
It would be great if you have some info about the camshafts also.

@ferrarispider: Hello and thank you!

This is from my workshop manual, some of the contents have already been covered in Steve's post.

Don't have info to hand on cams - will do some research :thumbsup:

Ferraritech
17-01-2006, 03:24 PM

The "hard copy" comes in three large manuals and then in lots of sub-sections, I will see if we still have the engine section of the manual and if you want it I could post it to you :thumbsup:

Protrim
17-01-2006, 03:26 PM
@stevew: It might be too big. I've located a site with a complete workshop manual on 290mb. If I can't download it I'll contact you.

@ferrarisdier: Yes, we are a workshop doing this. It's a 1991 348 that has a 355 body kit. Has just started disassembling it. Will put in forged low compression pistons, forged rods, new bearings and gaskets, hone the cylinders, freshen up the cylinder heads like new and do a mild porting job. The intake will remain standard. Electromotive Tec3r engine managment system will be mounted. We will weld turbo manifolds and put on two MHI turbos. Of course we put on a intercooler as well.

Only thing I'm worried about is what the original transmission is capable of. The engine torque will increase dramatically and the transmission doesn't look very solid.

By the way, many thanks for great help from all of you. It really helps!

stevew
17-01-2006, 03:27 PM
This is from my workshop manual, some of the contents have already been covered in Steve's post.

Don't have info to hand on cams - will do some research :thumbsup:

Ferrari don't seem to be very thorough in the workshop manual department do they:grin:

ric355
17-01-2006, 03:29 PM
@stevew: It might be too big. I've located a site with a complete workshop manual on 290mb. If I can't download it I'll contact you.

@ferrarisdier: Yes, we are a workshop doing this. It's a 1991 348 that has a 355 body kit. Has just started disassembling it. Will put in forged low compression pistons, forged rods, new bearings and gaskets, hone the cylinders, freshen up the cylinder heads like new and do a mild porting job. The intake will remain standard. Electromotive Tec3r engine managment system will be mounted. We will weld turbo manifolds and put on two MHI turbos. Of course we put on a intercooler as well.

Only thing I'm worried about is what the original transmission is capable of. The engine torque will increase dramatically and the transmission doesn't look very solid.

You've probably heard of the twin turbo 355 down under. That runs pretty big horsepower on the standard 355 transmission. I'm not sure what differences there are between the 348 and the 355 transmissions, but a 348 owner on here - Andy HLS - has put a 355 gearbox and clutch on his car. Quite a large job but it can be done.

ferrari-spider
17-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Sounds like a great project protrim:thumbsup: Here are a few pics of another 348 with a 355 bodykit on:thumbsup:

Protrim
17-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes, it looks like this except the rear bumper is different with a mid monuted exhaust pipe. The side markers on the front bumpers are also white glass, not orange.

The interior is also uprated with new seats, 4-point harness etc.

The wheels are also wide with 325 in rear.

ferrari-spider
17-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Wow! 325 at the rear:grin: What size wheels? And a center exhaust!!? Have you any pictures of the car?

Protrim
17-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I will make a presentation of the car under our own webpages soon where you'll find pictures and info about the car.

Ferraritech
17-01-2006, 04:48 PM

We donot have just the engine section, but do have a factory reprint covering the complete car - engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, wiring diagrams, electrics, ignition, fuel etc.

Any good let me know

Gimme Fuel
17-01-2006, 05:45 PM
You have a PM dude! :D:thumbsup:

Gimme Fuel
17-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Protrim.

Where are you located??? I live in Sarpsborg!

Kenyon
17-01-2006, 06:34 PM
We donot have just the engine section, but do have a factory reprint covering the complete car - engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, wiring diagrams, electrics, ignition, fuel etc.

Any good let me know

How much is the complete volume set of manuals for the 348 spider then ?
Interested in buying ?