PDA

View Full Version : Easy fix for bypass valve rattle

wlracing
06-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Not a total fix but by fitting an external spring to the operating rod I have reduced the rattle by about 50 % . It took a while experimenting till I got the correct length and strength but it works without affecting the operation of the valve .

Hazy
07-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Hi Wally, welcome to the site dude.

my car has a slight rattle on tickover, I wonder if this could be it?? Any easy way to find out?:thumbsup:

RIOT OK
07-02-2006, 01:19 AM

my car has a slight rattle on tickover, I wonder if this could be it?? Any easy way to find out?:thumbsup:

me two, does this mean i have to pick up a spanner?:huh:

ferrari-spider
07-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi Wally and welcome to the forum:grin:

wlracing
07-02-2006, 06:15 PM

It is easy on a 355 just press on the operating rod whilst the engine is tickingover and the rattle will stop . Might need to wear a glove as it gets hot .

wlracing
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
me two, does this mean i have to pick up a spanner?:huh:

Do not need a spanner only pliers or I will do it for you it is that simple .

wlracing
07-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi Wally and welcome to the forum:grin:

Hi, thank you I wondered for a long time where you had all gone .

ew_topcat
13-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Hello i am due to pick up my 355 berlinetta F1 at the end of next week. it does have a fluffy rattle on tick over. where does one find a spring to attach to the bypass valve?
Thank you for your help.

Very excited about getting a Ferrari, cant stop smiling!!:grin:

GrahamS
13-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Hello i am due to pick up my 355 berlinetta F1 at the end of next week. it does have a fluffy rattle on tick over. where does one find a spring to attach to the bypass valve?
Thank you for your help.

Very excited about getting a Ferrari, cant stop smiling!!:grin:
An alternative is to keep the valve permanently open using a bit of strong wire. I'ts not to everybody's taste but it's great for extra bass at low revs :dude:

no rattles this way either :thumbsup:

ew_topcat
13-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Thank you. are there any issues with keeping it wired open. i thought i read something about fire???

GrahamS
13-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Thank you. are there any issues with keeping it wired open. i thought i read something about fire???
Quite the opposite. I'm sure I read somewhere that it helps to keep the cats cooler. I may have been dreaming when I read that though, can't remember :hmmm:

Of course if it's permanently wired open then you won't be able to enjoy the experience of the valve opening at high revs.

It's only a 5 minute job to wire it open. if you don't like it then take it off :thumbsup:

ew_topcat
13-04-2006, 01:42 PM
ok buddy that sounds like an experiment i will try on the first weekend of ownership.:thumbsup:

GrahamS
13-04-2006, 01:45 PM
ok buddy that sounds like an experiment i will try on the first weekend of ownership.:thumbsup:
I'll see if there's enough room in the engine bay to take some pics tomorrow so you can see how it's done. Not 100% I'll be able to get the camera in there though...

ew_topcat
13-04-2006, 02:04 PM
superb if you can, dont hurt your self though.:smile:

ric355
13-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Quite the opposite. I'm sure I read somewhere that it helps to keep the cats cooler. I may have been dreaming when I read that though, can't remember :hmmm:
:thumbsup:

That's bollox m8 :thumbsup: The valve opens anyway after a 3.5 to 4 thousand RPM (depending upon gear) and the cats only get hot when the engine is running at high RPM. So wiring the valve open makes no difference to the cat temperature whatsoever.

GrahamS
13-04-2006, 02:34 PM
That's bollox m8 :thumbsup: The valve opens anyway after a 3.5 to 4 thousand RPM (depending upon gear) and the cats only get hot when the engine is running at high RPM. So wiring the valve open makes no difference to the cat temperature whatsoever.
Makes sense :thumbsup:

I'm sure I read it on FChat. :shocked:
But 99% of what's posted on the internet is pure bollocks so that figures I suppose :laugh:

GrahamS
14-04-2006, 12:41 PM
superb if you can, dont hurt your self though.:smile:
Here's a picture of how to wire open the valve. Thread doubled up wire through hole A. Open the valve fully then thread wire through hole B and secure :thumbsup:

ew_topcat
14-04-2006, 04:44 PM
That looks pretty straight forward, thank you. I went to have another look at the car today in the dealers. does one get to it from underneath or the top?

GrahamS
14-04-2006, 04:50 PM
That looks pretty straight forward, thank you. I went to have another look at the car today in the dealers. does one get to it from underneath or the top?
From the top but you'll have to lean right over the heat shield that's in the way..

ew_topcat
14-04-2006, 05:11 PM
:thumbsup: great thanks. cant wait to get my howling italian home now.:grin:

panterasteve
14-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Here's a picture of how to wire open the valve. Thread doubled up wire through hole A. Open the valve fully then thread wire through hole B and secure :thumbsup:

you did bl00dy well there to get such a clear shot of the valve there graham:thumbsup:

GrahamS
15-04-2006, 12:41 AM
you did bl00dy well there to get such a clear shot of the valve there graham:thumbsup:
I couldn't see what I was doing. I just shoved the camera under the heat shield and hoped for the best. i got lucky :thumbsup:

ew_topcat
26-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Oh dear. 24 hrs into ownership and the slow down light has come on. This is however after i wired the bypass valve open. it runs fine but the light flashes about 10 mins into the journey. I took it straight back to Ferrari after i disconnected my mod and the light has gone out and all is well.
I really dont know if i can put up with this rattle. Ferrari are going to take one off another quieter 355 for me and fit it on friday. Just seems a shame to turn up in a lovely flash car with it buzzing like crazy.
Will keep you posted as im sure you are all on the edge of your seats. he he he.:grin:

ferrari-spider
26-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Ferrari are going to take one off another quieter 355 for me and fit it on friday.Oh dear:thumbsdow i wonder whos quieter 355 they are going to take/swap it from:thumbsdow :thumbsdow Cant trust alot of the b*****!!!:thumbsdow And by them telling ya that, how else can one think.

ew_topcat
27-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Oh dear, that didnt come out right. i meant they will take it off another stock car they have in and see if it helps. i said i may back out of the sale as after 24 hrs with it i couldnt put up with the rattle. I didnt notice it on the road test but i think i was too excited that day.
Hope all can be sorted out soon.:)

ew_topcat
27-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Well i have cleared out the garage now. she can fit in now.
I heard a Capristo on a 355 yesterday in the flesh. it was only being moved around the dealers but he did clear its throat a little. sounded absolutlel fantastic. like Mr Schumacher was there in his car!! will be ordering one of those, it will help drown out the rattle....:grin:

ew_topcat
28-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Ah thats better, rattle has now gone. can hear the engine now. what an improvement. :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumbsup: