PDA

View Full Version : Please vote on website name

Angelis
08-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Below are the list of names submitted.

However we recommend the following as the domain name.

www.fcars.net (http://www.fcars.net)

It's short, easy to remember, good branding opportunity and sums up the site nicely. (I have also registered fcars.co.uk)

Remember, the site will be more than a chat site. We are hoping to create it into the UK's foremost resource for ferrari owners and enthusiasts.

I've set up a mini poll to decide if we will use fcars.net or another name from below. Thsi will hopefully save time. If we decide to use another name, then perhaps up to 10 from below should be selected.

Other names received:

NOTE
We recommend that the words "Ferrari" (copyright infringement) and "Chat", "Cafe" or "Forum" (not work safe) be avoided.

fgear
extreme-italian
ItalianStallion
CavallinoCafe/club
PrancingHorseCafe/Club
ScuderiaDriversClub
ferrarizone
StradaleStuff
ScuderiaStuff
ScuderiaStradale
ferraritimes
ferrarithoughts
ferrariclass.com
rarri.com
fezzaworld.com
ferrarienthusiast
ferraridot.com
roadtomaranello
Ultimate-Ferrari
Ferrari-Speed
just Ferrari-UK
PrancingPony
ForzaForum
ModenaMutterings
ItalianStallions
road2maranello
Fcarchat
ferrariforumUK.com
ferraricommunityuk
ukferraricommunity
poseurs
thedancingdonkey
theferrarifactor
talkferrari
parla-ferrari
rarrihome
ferrari-house
prancing-house
QV100
FStyle
FClass
FVogue
fezza
fcars
CavellinoGate
ferraricafe
Poleposition
redferrari.net
enzoni
forzachat
forzatalk

Apologies if i have left anyones submissioin out. Please PM and i'll insert it.

steve f
08-11-2005, 11:33 PM
i vote for
www.fcars.net abbrevation of

fitzyscars.net thanks guys :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

400SPYDER
08-11-2005, 11:35 PM
NOTE
We can't have anything with "Ferrari", "Chat", "Cafe" or "Forum" in it in order to avoid breaking copyrights and to be work safe.

Not sure I understand your reasoning here Sy.

ferrari-spider
08-11-2005, 11:35 PM
F.cars sound sgood to me, and i have voted for that. Ferrarizone would be my equil vote though.

400SPYDER
08-11-2005, 11:38 PM

And honestly its not just that my submission was Fcarchat

Nicola
08-11-2005, 11:38 PM
I voted no because fcars can easily be pronunced in a not very nice way.

Angelis
08-11-2005, 11:39 PM
We can't have anything with "Ferrari", in it in order to avoid breaking copyrights and to be work safe.

"Ferrari"
Copyright of that name is owned by Ferrari Spa. We could end up with problems later on.

"Chat", "Cafe" or "Forum"
Something to do with work pc's accessing. I think Graham can explain it better.

At the end of the day, it's just a recommendation, but we felt it was our duty to point it out. I've edited the sentence so that it is a recomendation.

tom
08-11-2005, 11:44 PM
"Chat", "Cafe" or "Forum"
Something to do with work pc's accessing. I think Graham can explain it better.

A lot of corporate IT departments will block access to websites with certain words in the addresses, if they feel they will be detrimental to employees' output. Favourites for this are words such as 'chat'.

Angelis
08-11-2005, 11:46 PM
A lot of corporate IT departments will block access to websites with certain words in the addresses, if they feel they will be detrimental to employees' output. Favourites for this are words such as 'chat'.

Thank you Tom.

400SPYDER
08-11-2005, 11:48 PM

Didn't seem to effect anyone in the UK on the Texas ***** site :D

Hazy
08-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Only you thought of that nicola!!!! Wash your mouth out with soap.:oops:

The name is great, voted for Fcar, but would prefer .co.uk rather than .net.
i also think that a more iconic Ferrari ought to be on the logo, say, ummm, a 355 perhaps.

Another vote methinks????? :D:D:D

tom
08-11-2005, 11:51 PM
A certain Texan also had a 'work safe' redirection domain name set up, I think. It was never an issue for me, but I believe a few of the guys used it.

This is also an option here, I'd assume...

ferrari-spider
08-11-2005, 11:56 PM
A lot of corporate IT departments will block access to websites with certain words in the addresses, if they feel they will be detrimental to employees' output. Favourites for this are words such as 'chat'.Dint know that Obi One:grin:

A308 MAN
08-11-2005, 11:58 PM
I personally do not feel "we" are progressing the site in the most correct, proffessional manner.
Have "we" sought legal advice of any form ?
As rick, neil, mike and viv would say, "Time for a house meeting"
Just my own thoughts.
cheers, d

ps .... should'nt persons at work actually be working or have i got it wrong again ?

ric355

If we did want to have one with one of these words in, we can still have a work safe URL. Heck, the current Zindagi thing would do for that.

400SPYDER
Surprised there were no Tifosi names.

355fiorano
09-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I am not sure if we are being overly cautious on the use of Ferrari. I doubt that other ferrari chat forums have asked permissions. Similarly, if one writes a book on Ferrari, they do not need permission from ferrari. The only issue that a company would have in such issues is someone is trying to pass off thier product as a product of that manufacturer i.e if we made cars and mnamed them ferrari, then they would have a porblem.

Similarly on the work firewall issues,"chat" is certainly one of the words that may be blocked but cafe is nearly cetainly not an issue. This would prohibit someone from finding a local cafe on the net !

As for fcars I voted no as we may just start getting all the Ford or even the Fiero lots over here :laugh:

Angelis
09-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I personally do not feel "we" are progressing the site in the most correct, proffessional manner.
Have "we" sought legal advice of any form ?
As rick, neil, mike and viv would say, "Time for a house meeting"

If anyone thinks they can do a better job, I''ll step down.

I've got plenty of other thing to do.

I also think that Graham, Lee and Tony are doing a fantastic job and what they need is encouragement and support and not criticism!!!!

ferrari-spider
09-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Na lets not go there Angelis, you got ya finger out and did somthing. Why? So we all (including the baned 8) could be in a place were we understood were each other were coming from. Ya doing a good job. Keep on keeping on.

a7see
09-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Only you thought of that nicola!!!! Wash your mouth out with soap.:oops:

The name is great, voted for Fcar, but would prefer .co.uk rather than .net.
i also think that a more iconic Ferrari ought to be on the logo, say, ummm, a 355 perhaps.

Another vote methinks????? :D:D:D

Agree with Adam with .co.uk rather than .net so as to emphasise its a UK chat forum......

steve f
09-11-2005, 08:20 AM

I also think that Graham, Lee and Tony are doing a fantastic job and what they need is encouragement and support and not criticism!!!!
are you taking your ball home :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

jtremlett
09-11-2005, 09:22 AM
A few thoughts that I pm'ed earlier:

Personally, I think CavallinoCafe easily the best. A nice bit of alliteration, memorable and indicates somewhere friendly for a bit of a chat and get-together - which is what it's all about, I think.

Anything with Club implies membership which may put people off initially. QV100 is too close to the existing QV500 site (and I have no idea what it would be supposed to mean in relation to this site). FStyle, FClass, FVogue and FGear all sound like something to do with fashion to me. For reasons I mentioned before, I think anything with Ferrari in the title may cause problems down the line (as others have mentioned). Scuderia implies related the racing team rather than general.

I don't know of anywhere that blocks site names with cafe in them or whatever.

Jonathan

tonyh
09-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Jonathan,
does that mean you like Fcars??

jtremlett
09-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Jonathan,
does that mean you like Fcars??Not my personal favourite, but better than some of the others.

tonyh
09-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Although far from perfect,IMHO, it's as good as we're going to get given the constraints on titles.

mal
09-11-2005, 09:46 AM
I cant see how using the word ferrari is a problem as long as you dont use the logo or script. The Ferrari name is a common italian surname and in London there are Estate agents, restaurants etc all using the word ferrari.

to me using the name 'ferraricafe' is much more descriptive and give a clearer indication as to what the site is about and by putting it all as one word technically you are not using the word ferrari at all.

steve f
09-11-2005, 09:46 AM
ferrari-site.com

tonyh
09-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Ferrari SPA have already made known that they intend cracking down on sites with "FeRRari" in the title.It's therefore NOT an option for us .

burriana
09-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Like what I said on the other thread - it really needs the word Ferrari in it.

we are not using it as a brand name but as a noun or descriptive, so they cannot do anything legally, especially when most of us own one!

Ferraricafe.com is a belter.

Cavallino may sound ok in the text books, but in reality it just means horse in Italian. It only becomes part of Ferrari when preceded with Rampante.

Also, first choice is .com, then co.uk, but net is a very poor third and a lot of people have no idea that .net even exists.

Ferraritech
09-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Ferrari SPA have already made known that they intend cracking down on sites with "FeRRari" in the title.It's therefore NOT an option for us .

Correct Tony, it's already happening in the States :huh: :huh:

Ferraritech
09-11-2005, 10:25 AM
BTW I voted yes - like the sound, short and to the point :thumbsup:

LazyLobster
09-11-2005, 10:26 AM
There is an easy way to get around the work safe problem. I used to get blocked using the dark side's web url:

However, Most corporate systems work on filtering strings of characters (names) so easy way around is to simply resolve the host name to it's IP address:

so, www.ferrarichat.com (which does not work at my work) is resolved to :

http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/forum/

If you need a web based DNS lookup tool, then use this site:

http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html?host=mail.uk2.net&type=A&server=&forward=Look+it+up

This works on most sites, unless the company has blocked the IP address at the proxy server as well.

Rob :thumbsup:

tonyh
09-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, Malcolm.
I think we can use .co.uk as well/instead. Would everyone prefer that??

Angelis
09-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Are there any lawyers here who can give advice regarding the name?

Hazy
09-11-2005, 11:27 AM
There is an easy way to get around the work safe problem. I used to get blocked using the dark side's web url:

However, Most corporate systems work on filtering strings of characters (names) so easy way around is to simply resolve the host name to it's IP address:

so, www.ferrarichat.com (which does not work at my work) is resolved to :

http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html?host=mail.uk2.net&type=A&server=&forward=Look+it+up

This works on most sites, unless the company has blocked the IP address at the proxy server as well.

WHAT?

I've got a workshop based tool?????????
And a poxy server........

Are ALL of you bar me IT geniuses on here????? :D:D:D
Feeling a bit inadequate now :(:(:(

Bugattiart
09-11-2005, 11:35 AM
www.maranellotalks.com or marranellotalks.net .....I really like the sound of this name, and it would not give any problems with Ferrari spa. i guess!!!

LazyLobster
09-11-2005, 11:36 AM
WHAT?

I've got a workshop based tool?????????
And a poxy server........

Are ALL of you bar me IT geniuses on here????? :D:D:D
Feeling a bit inadequate now :(:(:(

It's amazing what rubbish I can come up with after the first 5 lines of coke in the morning :shocked:

R

Ravi 355
09-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Fcars is good. Fcarforum might be a good one, everyone knows what a forum is and it gets round the firewall issue.

angelboy
09-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Fcars.co.uk gets my vote :thumbsup:

Let's remind all users that it's British! Stimo can even lend us his Union Jack now he's been ordered to remove it!

jtremlett
09-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Fcars.co.uk gets my vote :thumbsup:

Let's remind all users that it's British! Stimo can even lend us his Union Jack now he's been ordered to remove it!Best to register the .com and oc.uk versions of any name chosen if possible and have both to direct to the same place. Stops problems later on.

Jonathan

spidermanUK
09-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Best to register the .com and oc.uk versions of any name chosen if possible and have both to direct to the same place. Stops problems later on.

Jonathan
That's the MAJOR problem with "fcars", the .com has been taken!:thumbsdow

Hazy
09-11-2005, 01:23 PM
It's amazing what rubbish I can come up with after the first 5 lines of coke in the morning :shocked:

R

LOL :D:D:D

Jas
09-11-2005, 01:45 PM
IMHO, the vote should be on all, or many, of thenames submitted. We have a knockout round to choose (say) the most popular 5. Then a final vote to select the winner.

Do we really believe Ferrari would go after us for using the word Ferrari? We are after all a non-profit making bunch of enthusiasts and owners. I personally doubt it.

LeeP
09-11-2005, 01:49 PM
IMHO, the vote should be on all, or many, of thenames submitted. We have a knockout round to choose (say) the most popular 5. Then a final vote to select the winner.

Do we really believe Ferrari would go after us for using the word Ferrari? We are after all a non-profit making bunch of enthusiasts and owners. I personally doubt it.

Jas,

Without a doubt - anyone using the word Ferrari in their name (especially as we are setting up a company and the site name will inevitibly be the company name also).

Lee

Jonny5
09-11-2005, 01:59 PM

R

rob rob rob

would be interested to exactly how you resolved www.ferrarichat.com to http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/forum/

more specificially how a DNS A record is URL formed

:laugh:

jtremlett
09-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Do we really believe Ferrari would go after us for using the word Ferrari? We are after all a non-profit making bunch of enthusiasts and owners. I personally doubt it.They have form!

A308 MAN
09-11-2005, 02:06 PM

Certainly not a "dig" at you sy, or the others, you are all working very hard ... if anything, you guys need to share around the workload.
The trouble is, i have a big gob, and tend to voice not only my own opinion, but that of others.
I re-itterate, the forum was to be "owned and run by the members, for the members".
Many decisions are being made without the knowledge or consent of the majority of the members.
Just my thoughts, that's all... constructive criticism, i think is the terminoligy.
cheers, d

LeeP
09-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Certainly not a "dig" at you sy, or the others, you are all working very hard ... if anything, you guys need to share around the workload.
The trouble is, i have a big gob, and tend to voice not only my own opinion, but that of others.
I re-itterate, the forum was to be "owned and run by the members, for the members".
Many decisions are being made without the knowledge or consent of the majority of the members.
Just my thoughts, that's all... constructive criticism, i think is the terminoligy.
cheers, d

D,

If everyone were to have Moderator rights - think of the disaster! SteveF would be the only one not banned. There has to be some law and order. Things that have been happening in the background have mainly been technical anyway - site design, forum design - which we have taken on board comments from the "Suggestions" thread. What more can we do?

The members will own and run the committee and club - but the forum will still be maintained by a few. This forum doesnt represent the club - just its backdoor banter!

My 2p worth

Lee

hedge
09-11-2005, 02:14 PM
ferrarizone is good

GrahamS
09-11-2005, 02:21 PM
The members will own and run the committee and club - but the forum will still be maintained by a few. This forum doesnt represent the club - just its backdoor banter!

Think you should also add that although there will be two or more admins/mods actually pressing the buttons, the committee will make all the major decisions concerning the running of the forum.

LazyLobster
09-11-2005, 02:22 PM
rob rob rob

would be interested to exactly how you resolved www.ferrarichat.com to http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/forum/

more specificially how a DNS A record is URL formed

:laugh:

dude ! must have been 6 lines instead of 5 this morning then :laugh:

Hazy
09-11-2005, 02:33 PM
dude ! must have been 6 lines instead of 5 this morning then :laugh:

Rob, I put it to you that you dont actually know ***** all about all this computer stuff and you were just blagging us dude!! :D:D:D

LazyLobster
09-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Rob, I put it to you that you dont actually know ***** all about all this computer stuff and you were just blagging us dude!! :D:D:D

Burger ! I've been found out ! all these years of working in I.T. and I finally get found out by this forum ! :cry3: :cry3:

I'm handing in my notice as we speak.

Can't get anything pass your guys ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

steve f
09-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Are there any lawyers here who can give advice regarding the name?
you dont need a lawyer we are behind you all the way dont matter if you get banged up in jail as there is fchatters all over the uk so you will get visitors power to the people

power to the people:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tabletcounter
09-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Voted Fcars.net, but would have preferred .com

Its short and to the point and could be easily incorporated in to a nice logo

Dem
09-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm a big fan of the letter 'z' so how's about "Fezzazone"?

It even sounds like an illegal drug!

:wink3:

Ravi 355
09-11-2005, 03:23 PM
you dont need a lawyer we are behind you all the way dont matter if you get banged up in jail as there is fchatters all over the uk so you will get visitors power to the people

power to the people:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LMAO :laugh: :laugh:

F1 JOE
09-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Listen guys had a chat with my Lawyer worse case is that we get told to stop thats it!!!!

burriana
09-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Anyone seen the piece of pure genius from the man on the island?

Ferraridot.com

"Ferrari dot com"

Bloody brilliant - you should have been a copy writer dave :D

Mrs_Bugattiart
09-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Listen guys had a chat with my Lawyer worse case is that we get told to stop thats it!!!!
Exactly!!!
My site: www.sognidiferrari.com haven't Pi***d them off yet... BUT I received a mail from GB that I could not use a picture of F1 and that I had to remove it immediately, or else!!! :D I wrote back and asked why and was told that I couldn't use pictures showing: F1, Formula1, Formula One etc etc... and I removed it and haven't heard a word since that! :)

So I guess it's not that dangerous after all! :);)

MalcH
09-11-2005, 07:58 PM

My previous company blocked it. There was another domain name, which I found out about when I had left.

F1 JOE
09-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Exactly!!!
My site: www.sognidiferrari.com haven't Pi***d them off yet... BUT I received a mail from GB that I could not use a picture of F1 and that I had to remove it immediately, or else!!! :D I wrote back and asked why and was told that I couldn't use pictures showing: F1, Formula1, Formula One etc etc... and I removed it and haven't heard a word since that! :)

So I guess it's not that dangerous after all! :);)

My woman is a Patent Attourney and is very usefull in this area she has a lot of experience with the Ferrari Logos wording etc and confirmed that if yr business is making capital using Ferraris name logo etc they can take proceedings to recover but it would have to be worth it hence my last quote.

MalcH
09-11-2005, 08:05 PM

so, www.ferrarichat.com (http://www.ferrarichat.com) (which does not work at my work) is resolved to :

company I now work for blocks any url with an IP address in it :angry:

rmdferrari
09-11-2005, 08:07 PM
My only concern is the "F" bit. OK, Ferrari owners know what an F-car is, but to Ken Livingstone and the Guardian reading, hemp buying lefties it's the "*****ing car"...... do we want to be associated with the "F word?"

LazyLobster
09-11-2005, 08:08 PM
company I now work for blocks any url with an IP address in it :angry:

Major P-i-s-s-e-r matey. That's the prob with this I.T. game, you find a way around and then that gets stomped upon.

Much like life huh ? :confused:

Angelis
09-11-2005, 08:22 PM
do we want to be associated with the "F word?"

errrr.... FOC off!

rmdferrari
09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
errrr.... FOC off!

Exactly.... er, I get it. Doh! Whats "F"ree "O"f "C"harge got to do with it..

Alx355gt
10-11-2005, 01:54 AM
www.maranellotalks.com or marranellotalks.net .....I really like the sound of this name, and it would not give any problems with Ferrari spa. i guess!!!
Very good suggestion that has been overlooked here IMO!

And what about "ScuderiaMaranello.com" or "ScuderiaMaranelloboard.com" or something?

Also "Ferraritalk" is better then "Fcars.net" if you ask me... like has been mentioned before, not everyone will recognize the "F" in it as Ferrari!
With something like Maranello in the name, the link with Ferrari would be more obvious. Just my opinion of course...

Mrs_Bugattiart
10-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Very good suggestion that has been overlooked here IMO!

And what about "ScuderiaMaranello.com" or "ScuderiaMaranelloboard.com" or something?

Also "Ferraritalk" is better then "Fcars.net" if you ask me... like has been mentioned before, not everyone will recognize the "F" in it as Ferrari!
With something like Maranello in the name, the link with Ferrari would be more obvious. Just my opinion of course...
And if you called it something like Ferraritalk.com , you don't use the word FERRARI in a way that's wrong I guess :) Just like my own site... It has the Ferrari name in it too... but does not claim to be an official Ferrari site :)

Bugattiart
10-11-2005, 02:40 AM
In addition to my proposal for the name www.maranellotalks.com I made this proposal for a banner or logo, based on one of my Ferrari drawings!!!
Your opinions are most welcome!!! :)

MalcH
10-11-2005, 07:36 PM
In addition to my proposal for the name www.maranellotalks.com (http://www.maranellotalks.com) I made this proposal for a banner or logo, based on one of my Ferrari drawings!!!
Your opinions are most welcome!!! :)

Well I like it very much.

Mrs_Bugattiart
10-11-2005, 11:28 PM
What about TifosiTalk.com or TifosiTalk.co.uk ??
:)

Angelis
14-11-2005, 01:29 PM
I'll have to close the poll now if that's ok with everyone as we have to start on site development and marketing and so need a name confirmed.

Looks like fcars.net has won.

35 votes for fcars.net

29 votes for all other names

Name was submitted by Tonyh.
The sponsors like it as well as it's short and catchy.

F328GTS
14-11-2005, 09:01 PM
I'll have to close the poll now if that's ok with everyone as we have to start on site development and marketing and so need a name confirmed.

Looks like fcars.net has won.

35 votes for fcars.net

29 votes for all other names

Name was submitted by Tonyh.
The sponsors like it as well as it's short and catchy.

Has anybody been to www.fcars.net

sletti
14-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Has anybody been to www.fcars.net

What's that site?

F328GTS
14-11-2005, 11:04 PM
What's that site?
Oops, my mistake, that is www.fcar.net without the s. I'll get my coat.

Angelis
14-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Oops, my mistake, that is www.fcar.net without the s. I'll get my coat.

Good thing you did it.

I've now registered www.fcar.co.uk as well just in case.

:thumbsup:

F328GTS
14-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Good thing you did it.

I've now registered www.fcar.co.uk as well just in case.

:thumbsup:
Cool. Glad to be of service. :smile:

noony
14-11-2005, 11:15 PM
now tonyh can live off the royalties!