PDA

View Full Version : Remember the fallen

jimmy b
11-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey all,

I'm going to take a short walk down to the Cenotaph at Whitehall for eleven o'clock this morning, just to remember those who gave so much to secure the freedoms that we largely take for granted today. I'm also going to take a minute to think of so many people, from all countries and from all backgrounds, who do have not been able to live in peace and security, even now into the 21st century.

I hope as many of you as possible are able to join with me today in observing the two-minutes silence at eleven, in memory of the past and in the hope for a better future for all of our children.

Thanks.
James.

jeffqv
11-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Hear hear, we must not forget those who enabled us to live as we do today

tonyh
11-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Agreed. All trading stops for 2 mins silence . Will be observing .

Pauli
11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Sounds a plan, no IT fixing for 2 mins at 11am.

Nicola
11-11-2005, 10:51 AM
No posts here at 11 then.

Might be lucky and get a quiet office for the silence this year.

Nicola
11-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I was the only person to stop and think in my office.

When asking a few people about the ignorance, the common comment was 'I forgot'.

tonyh
11-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Shocking :embarasse

steve f
11-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I was the only person to stop and think in my office.

When asking a few people about the ignorance, the common comment was 'I forgot'.
typical female any excuse for a rest

Albert V8
11-11-2005, 12:16 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~Glosters/rem.html

I remembered.

400SPYDER
11-11-2005, 12:44 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~Glosters/rem.html

I remembered.

Gone but never forgotten.

Thanks for the link Albert - very moving to read that today of all days.

jimmy b
11-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Indeed a moving page of poetry. I noticed that, along with the famous WW1 poets Wilfred Owen and Rupert Brooke, one of the writers there was a young officer in the Seaforth Highlanders. This was the regiment that, having lied about his age to join up at 17, my grandfather served in. In the battle of the Somme of July 1916, over half of his battalion were killed by midday on the first day, as the Scots were usually sent in to battle first. Luckily he lived - and fought through both world wars - although I cannot begin to imagine what he went through. At the age of ninety he had scars on the back of his legs from where the mud and ice would freeze on the back of his kilt in winter and cut his legs, when he was just 18 years old.

He didn't know it at the time, but he did this for me. For this reason, I was quite upset this morning, when I travelled into work on the tube to Westminster, that not a single other person on the tube was wearing a poppy, and many people around me outside in the street did not observe the two-minutes silence at eleven. Therefore I want to thank you all especially for your support on this thread as it means so much to me.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for another."

I will always remember.

J.