PDA

View Full Version : 355 Driveshaft Centre Nut removal

Terry
06-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Trying to remove the nearside driveshaft centre nut and it is of course v tight.
Can anyone confirm that this is a reverse/left hand thread nut?
Loosening the nut in the correct direction would of course help, already broken one breaker bar.
Just looking at the parts catalogue it shows the same part number for both sides so maybe it is a regular thread after all?

Nick355
06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
No I'm sure mine were both right hand threads :thumbsup:

ferrari-spider
06-05-2006, 09:10 PM
A couple of bits of advice. Have you sprayed it with penetrating oil and leaving it to sock in over night?
Also it may be worth putting on some heat with a flame.
Finaly when i have ever had a seized drive shaft bolt that just would not move, i have had to use a metal drift an metal hammer. Putting the drift onto each corner of the nut and belting the drift, this usually moves the nut little by little. Couple this technique with the nut being soaked with penetrating oil.
BUT new nuts will have to be bought after due to nut deformities. Hope this advice helps dude:thumbsup:

Terry
06-05-2006, 09:11 PM
No I'm sure mine were both right hand threads :thumbsup:

Thanks Nick for the reply. Just needed the confidence for me to try a little harder.
Will have to get a stronger breaker bar on Monday. Have now broken a torque wrench, I just knew I shouldn't have tried using that.:cry3:

Dale
06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Nick for the reply. Just needed the confidence for me to try a little harder.
Will have to get a stronger breaker bar on Monday. Have now broken a torque wrench, I just knew I shouldn't have tried using that.:cry3:

air gun will shock it off no problem terry:grin:oh and yes they are both right hand threads m8

Dale.

Terry
06-05-2006, 09:17 PM
A couple of bits of advice. Have you sprayed it with penetrating oil and leaving it to sock in over night?
Also it may be worth putting on some heat with a flame.
Finaly when i have ever had a seized drive shaft bolt that just would not move, i have had to use a metal drift an metal hammer. Putting the drift onto each corner of the nut and belting the drift, this usually moves the nut little by little. Couple this technique with the nut being soaked with penetrating oil.
BUT new nuts will have to be bought after due to nut deformities. Hope this advice helps dude:thumbsup:

Thanks Chaz for the tips.:thumbsup: It is the large (35mm) nut on the outer end that I am trying to remove in order to get the hub off. I did soak it with penetrating oil but only since mid-day, I will add more before going to bed.
I have tried the chisel method a little but no heat as yet.
More effort needed no doubt.

Terry
06-05-2006, 09:21 PM
air gun will shock it off no problem terry:grin:oh and yes they are both right hand threads m8

Dale.

Thanks Dale. :thumbsup: I have a compressor but no air gun. Will have to get one of those on Monday also.

Also will any harm come to the diff with applying such torque or shock? The diff is slipping just slightly even after reinstalling the disc/handbrake when trying to remove the nut.

Brian (Rifledriver)
06-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I doubt you will harm the diff doing that. When I am taking off any axle fastener whether inner or outer I leave the disc and caliper on until all is loose and I put a screwdriver or other similar device in the vent holes and brace it against the caliper to keep the axle from turning.

As far as rust goes, I am afraid I am unfamiliar with it as I am in California and we do not allow it here.:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Dale
06-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I doubt you will harm the diff doing that. When I am taking off any axle fastener whether inner or outer I leave the disc and caliper on until all is loose and I put a screwdriver or other similar device in the vent holes and brace it against the caliper to keep the axle from turning.

As far as rust goes, I am afraid I am unfamiliar with it as I am in California and we do not allow it here.:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

brian hi m8 i do the same with the vents in the discs to remove the ring of inner c/v bolts on 355's,

Dale.

Dale
06-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks Dale. :thumbsup: I have a compressor but no air gun. Will have to get one of those on Monday also.

Also will any harm come to the diff with applying such torque or shock? The diff is slipping just slightly even after reinstalling the disc/handbrake when trying to remove the nut.

leave the disc bolted on,just hold it with your hand the air gun wll do the work,air guns 1/2 drive do differ in power depending on there quality terry m8,

Dale.

ferrari-spider
06-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Dale remember the dude is probably doing the job at home, with out the use of an industrial air compreser:wink3: but maybe a small one from the local mart:wink3:

Dale
06-05-2006, 10:02 PM
terry this is a 308 shaft i rebuilt its a good idea m8 to use good c/v boot clip criping tools i use a snap on one and id be glad to lend it to you if you want it terry,before and after shot's

Dale
06-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Dale remember the dude is probably doing the job at home, with out the use of an industrial air compreser:wink3: but maybe a small one from the local mart:wink3:

chaa i see what you mean m8,you realy need a good pressure behind the gun,

Dale.

Fraccie
07-05-2006, 01:12 AM
chaa i see what you mean m8,you realy need a good pressure behind the gun,

Dale.

No......you need a decent gun!..................thought windy guns were`nt allowed near Ferraris?.....Dale.

IR 235 QTI......................THE best..........will move anything.

Terry
07-05-2006, 08:19 AM

Brian,
A good tip that one. :thumbsup:
I realised I should have done it differently and re-installed the handbrake pads and disc but the screwdriver and caliper locking would be much better.:thumbsup:

Terry
07-05-2006, 08:29 AM
No......you need a decent gun!..................thought windy guns were`nt allowed near Ferraris?.....Dale.

IR 235 QTI......................THE best..........will move anything.

Thanks Adrian.

Sounds like I need to get one of these.

Who is the manufacturer of these and where can I get one?

Terry
07-05-2006, 08:31 AM
terry this is a 308 shaft i rebuilt its a good idea m8 to use good c/v boot clip criping tools i use a snap on one and id be glad to lend it to you if you want it terry,before and after shot's

Thanks for the offer Dale. :thumbsup: The driveshaft and boots may be OK but will see better when the hub is off.

Fraccie
07-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks Adrian.

Sounds like I need to get one of these.

Who is the manufacturer of these and where can I get one?

Ingersoll Rand.............235.......Quiet Titanium.............i get good discount on them,do you want me to get you a price?............They are not cheap though..............:thumbsdow

Terry
07-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Ingersoll Rand.............235.......Quiet Titanium.............i get good discount on them,do you want me to get you a price?............They are not cheap though..............:thumbsdow

Thanks for the info.
Wouldn,t mind a price if it isn't too much trouble.
Looking on ebay there is a 2130XP on buy it now for 117. is that reasonable?

Just checked my compressor and it is a 2hp 114psi model with I think a 50 or 100 ltr tank. Is that good enough?

Fraccie
07-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info.
Wouldn,t mind a price if it isn't too much trouble.
Looking on ebay there is a 2130XP on buy it now for 117. is that reasonable?

Just checked my compressor and it is a 2hp 114psi model with I think a 50 or 100 ltr tank. Is that good enough?

Most air tools only need 90 PSI......any more damages them,the capacity of the receiver(50 or 100 or whatever litres) produces the CFM.You don`t need to concern your self with CFM really unless your spraying or using high output tools.

2130 XP`s are an old design,good general purpose gun,just old............wait till Monday and i`ll get you a price on the 2135.................:thumbsup:

These are the ones..............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-INGERSOLL-RAND-TITANIUM-2135QTI-1-2-IMPACT-WRENCH_W0QQitemZ8061116967QQcategoryZ30906QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

PAUL V
07-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Terry i have a Very good 1/2 drive Air gun that will do the job, You can pop in and borrow it if you like.

Terry
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Terry i have a Very good 1/2 drive Air gun that will do the job, You can pop in and borrow it if you like.

Thanks for the offer Paul. :thumbsup:
Will give you a ring if I get your way in the next few days.

ferrarifixer
09-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Ok, the Nut is 36mm not 35mm, and yes, both sides are normal RH threads, just to get that bit cleared up.

Then, If it really is as stuck as you say, I'd be wary of bracing the disc with a screwdriver against the calliper... as you could actually damage the disc in extreme cases... I've seen vents broken out like this.

I'd put the wheel back on, put the car on the ground (and put your foot on the brake), and use a huge breaker bar..... just go to your local truck workshop to borrow one... probably a 1" Drive bar about 1.5M or more long with adaptors to suit whatever socket you've got.

I use a 1.8M long alloy bar (100mm x 75mm), with a 1" drive built onto it. I have a 3/4 drive socket for 36mm hub nuts.

Use something like this to crack it off.

Just a few weeks ago, I had someone bring in bits of a 360C they were fixing, that broke the end clean off the drive shaft... so brace yourself for that possibility!

tiganut
09-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Try the hitatchi 18 volt cordless hammer gun,made the air one redundent,even on centrelok wheels.

Fraccie
09-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Try the hitatchi 18 volt cordless hammer gun,made the air one redundent,even on centrelok wheels.

I find that very difficult to belive Neil.

ferrarifixer
10-05-2006, 09:32 AM
I find that very difficult to belive Neil.

I've got a Snap On 18v cordless hammer gun that seems really powerful.

Haven't tried it on centre locks or hub nuts yet, but it does clutch nuts and crank pulleys fine.

Fraccie
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I've got a Snap On 18v cordless hammer gun that seems really powerful.

Haven't tried it on centre locks or hub nuts yet, but it does clutch nuts and crank pulleys fine.

I did`nt mean i thought it was impossible,just that i would be surprised.I have never used one but ,if they are that powerful as to make impact guns redundant,i`d better be trying one....:thumbsup: ....................watch out for a flood of compressers and air tools for sale on ebay....................:smile:

Terry
10-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Well I took the advice of fractiousgit and others and acquired an Ingersoll Rand 2135QTI impact gun.
I had a go at it earlier tonight and eventually got the nut off.
I used the air impact gun for about 30 mins and it didn't come off right away. I ended up drilling the size of the nut and chiselling a slot to try and allow the nut to "grow" a little. This together with penetrant oil for three days, an impact gun and a 4 foot bar eventually got it off.
There always seems to be just one bolt or nut somewhere that causes trouble and slows things down.

Brian (Rifledriver)
10-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Well I took the advice of fractiousgit and others and acquired an Ingersoll Rand 2135QTI impact gun.
I used the air impact gun for about 30 mins and it didn't come off right away. I ended up drilling the size of the nut and chiselling a slot to try and allow the nut to "grow" a little. This together with penetrant oil for three days, an impact gun and a 4 foot bar eventually got it off.
There always seems to be just one bolt or nut somewhere that causes trouble and slows things down.

Yikes.

Glad rust is an illegal occurrence here.

Fraccie
10-05-2006, 11:44 PM

How glued on was that baby?............................well done Terry!

ferrarifixer
12-05-2006, 11:28 AM

I didn't think Lord Brocket sank any 355's in his lake.......