PDA

View Full Version : 575M Running Report Update

Chriss
24-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Since picking my 575M up from the dealer in Italy in June 2014 we've done a surprising 7,856 miles.

This consisted of a European tour on the way back to the UK ( 2,120 miles ), a trip to France ( 1,780 miles ) and another to the North of Scotland this month ( 1,979 miles ). the remaining 1,977 miles have been shorter trips within the UK.

The trip Home From Italy : The summit of the St Gotthard Pass

The first 12 months was actually 5,877 miles as the Scottish trip was in year 2 of my ownership. I had the cambelt service brought forward by 12 months so it was part of the purchasing deal and done before I picked up the car and it's now about 8 weeks overdue for it's annual oil change service although well within the 10,00 mile limit.

I live about 3 miles from the excellent Emblem Sports Cars but when I called them this morning they are booking for the middle of October !
Meridien, my closed official dealer want three weeks notice and Carrs of Exeter, by contrast need only three days warning.

On pricing, I didn't ask Emblem but Carrs quoted an all inclusive 850 including a brake fluid change ( unnecessary as it was done last year ) and Meridien 995 without the fluid change.
Not sure how this compares with other official Ferrari dealers but Carrs suggested labour would be 5 hours at 85 per hour + VAT so that leaves 340 for parts and fluids inc VAT.

Total mileage currently stands at 47,671km or 29,556 miles. Still very low for an eleven year old car intended to be used for trans-continental grand touring but probably at the high end of what a prospective buyer would like to see.
Nevertheless, I intend to do another 5-6,000 miles in the second year of ownership but now the novelty of being a Ferrari owner has been got over, I will use it less in the UK.

In the 14 months the Ferrari hasn't missed a beat and my only expense has been a set of Michelin SuperSport tyres ( expected ), a pair of wipers and genuine Ferrari rear pads changed by Emblem, (300).
Oil consumption has been very low for almost 8,000 mainly high speed miles. I've only had to top-up twice, and then by only half a litre a time. The oil remains remarkably clean, as if it has just been changed.

The MGC Roadster is now up for sale and I'm looking for a 10-20 year old classic saloon to waft down to France and back two or three times a year.
That will keep the mileage on the Ferrari within bounds and allow me to use it mainly for those longer distance European tours through Germany and Italy when the car really comes into it's own.

jos
24-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Carrs looked after my 575 very well & very competitively :thumbsup:

Chriss
24-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Carrs looked after my 575 very well & very competitively :thumbsup:

I know and like the guys down there but it's another 190 miles on the car plus the fuel when the trip to Emblem and back is less than 6 miles !

jos
24-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Their rates were competitive enough that even the 99 for collection & delivery was worthwhile (for you it'd still be cheaper than the petrol !)

CLIVE77
24-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Chris

Great to hear about your car over the last 14 months. Carrs have a great reputation, but I would book it into Emblem and wait a short time more - especially as your oil is still good as new.

Chriss
24-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Chris

Great to hear about your car over the last 14 months. Carrs have a great reputation, but I would book it into Emblem and wait a short time more - especially as your oil is still good as new.

That's what I intend to do. We are going to France next month and I've already decided to go in the Audi. It will be a 1,000 mile trip and we've done it twice before in the Ferrari.

geoffpfc
25-08-2015, 09:21 AM
I've heard that Autoficcina are very good and they're a sponsor:thumbsup:

Chriss
25-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Just had a price for the annual service from Emblem.

755 plus VAT so that's 906 - a little dearer than Carrs who quoted 850 inclusive. Meridien, who I won't use, quoted 995

If I lived closer to Exeter I would take it to Carrs for the official stamp but I have a lot of faith in the boys at Emblem and they deserve the business :
They spend two hours inspecting my car when it arrived in the UK at no charge.

I'm sure Autoficcina are very good if you live close by but they are a fair way away from me and still not an official Ferrari dealer.

mon the fish
25-08-2015, 04:12 PM
My annual is booked for 3 weeks time (similar car), see what mine works out at as it was 4k last year at my indy...

And a 260 mile round trip to my nearest, so slightly jealous of you!

Need an indy in Aberdeen - how easy is it to set one up I wonder...

Carlo348
25-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Chris
Youve done what i did last year thinking i could just book in at a couple of weeks notice. They're even busier this year. I booked mine for this week back in May knowing how far ahead they get booked up (theyre very good at what they do). In for a full service and gearbox oil change. We've had to delay the suspension overhaul until winter, when space will be available. Think if their business carries on at this rate they made need a bigger premises. As Clive says book in. Another 6-8weeks will have no factor on your car

matkat
25-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Gordon, have you used Carlo before? I know last time we were in contact that you had not but maybe worth giving him a bell.

mon the fish
25-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Gordon, have you used Carlo before? I know last time we were in contact that you had not but maybe worth giving him a bell.
I've not, no. I'm a bit of a creature of habit, and Roden in Winchburgh is as far from me as Bathgate is sadly

matkat
25-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Gordon, obviously I know Stewart but certainly worth giving Carlo a call he has been doing my car's since I bought My first Ferrari from Him 15 years ago (a 328 GTS) only break was when I bought my 355GTS F1 which was under warranty so went to Graypaul during that period then when warranty was finished then went back to Carlo and obviously the 360 will be going back to Him.
Dave

Chriss
26-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Chris
Youve done what i did last year thinking i could just book in at a couple of weeks notice. They're even busier this year. I booked mine for this week back in May knowing how far ahead they get booked up (theyre very good at what they do). In for a full service and gearbox oil change. We've had to delay the suspension overhaul until winter, when space will be available. Think if their business carries on at this rate they made need a bigger premises. As Clive says book in. Another 6-8weeks will have no factor on your car

I've been in contact with Martin again and I've booked the car in for the last week of October.

Here's hoping they find nothing wrong !

Carlo348
26-08-2015, 10:57 AM
I've been in contact with Martin again and I've booked the car in for the last week of October.

Here's hoping they find nothing wrong !

👍👍👍
If there's anything wrong...theyll find it😃
On the plus side they are very thorough. Dont be concerned by their list of things that you may like or need to address.....it covers absolutely everything. Cosmetically/mechanically.

Chriss
07-11-2015, 04:56 PM
I've just had the 575M's annual service done at Emblem and the whole experience was as good as anyone has a right to expect.
They know what they are talking about and really care about the cars. I'm not sure how far official UK Ferrari dealers go but Emblem do seem to go that extra mile.
For example, rather than just check pad wear, they remove and reface brake pads and while they are out they clean and lubricate the calipers.
I'm so lucky that they are only three miles away from home !

The cost was a very reasonable 853.42 which was just less than their original quote, considerably cheaper than Meridien and about the same as Carrs quoted ( but Carrs figure did not include a brake fluid change).

The bill consisted of :

397.38 Labour
165.17 Parts inc brake fluid.
125.40 Lubricants
18.95 Miscellaneous Costs
142.24 VAT

At just under 30,000 miles the clutch wear is 54% which I reckon is good considering the horse power it's transmitting.
No major items were identified as requiring attention - all the items are ones which I was intending to deal with myself over the winter :
Driver's seat up/down - Motor runs but seat movement inoperative
Glovebox light ( probably bulb ).
Driver's door does not activate Central Locking from inside the car. ( not sure of the cause at the moment )
Petrol cap seal separated from the alloy cap ( Epoxy needed )

I bought the car from a official Ferrari service dealer in Italy in February 2014 and before I collected it in June last year I had the cambelts changed as a precaution. This was done a year early.
The gearbox oil and coolant were changed at the same time although this was not a requirement for that year's annual service which was then due.

Mileage was then 35,000km and now it's 48,500km so I've completed 8,370 miles in 16 months, just 1,100 miles more than my self-imposed annual allowance of 5,000 miles. Understandable with a new toy !
Most of the mileage consisted of a European tour to bring the car home, ( 2,900miles ) a trip to the Central Massif region of France ( 1,800 miles ) in September 2014 and another to Scotland ( 1,900 miles ) in August 2015.

At 50,000km the plugs, gearbox oil and coolant are supposed to be changed but I can't see the need to do this again just at the moment. I guess I'll just change the plugs in the spring before the first 2016 trip into Europe.
The gearbox oil and coolant will need changing after another 22,700 miles but I certainly won't let it go that long. Maybe at next year's annual service ?

Running costs, excluding insurance and road tax, over the 16 months and 8,370 miles have been just under 2,000.
That's a new set of Michelin Super Sport tyres ( 850 ), a set of wiper blades and rear pads ( 300 inc labour ) and the annual service.

Altogether I'm very pleased with the way it's gone so far.

These cars run so much better if they are used so I won't be locking mine away for the winter - I certainly intend to take it out occasionally on dry sunny days.
At least one trip to France plus a major 3,000 mile European tour are penciled in for next summer after which the front bumper and mirrors will be painted to do away with the inevitable stone chip damage.

Mike01606
07-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Great info Chris.
Emblem looked after my car when it lived in Poole for a few years before it came oop norf.
They provided a photo record of the services showing the work was done properly.

On the 360 the transaxle oil is two yearly but Adam tells me it can come out black so recommends an annual change.
It is cheap maintenance so I'd ask the question before deferring it.

Again another demonstration that good cars are relatively easy to look after [emoji106]

geoffpfc
07-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Great info Chris.
Emblem looked after my car when it lived in Poole for a few years before it came oop norf.
They provided a photo record of the services showing the work was done properly.

On the 360 the transaxle oil is two yearly but Adam tells me it can come out black so recommends an annual change.
It is cheap maintenance so I'd ask the question before deferring it.

Again another demonstration that good cars are relatively easy to look after [emoji106]

Sadly it seems that they're not taking photos anymore:thumbsdow

I'm using the main dealer this year, next week, as they're much closer and their winter rates are very competitive, I'll report back on the "experience":grin:

Chriss
07-11-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm using the main dealer this year, next week, as they're much closer and their winter rates are very competitive, I'll report back on the "experience":grin:

Lyndhurst is also my closest dealer but my car won't ever be going anywhere near their premises.............

Will be interested in hearing how you get on there.

geoffpfc
07-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Lyndhurst is also my closest dealer but my car won't ever be going anywhere near their premises.............

Will be interested in hearing how you get on there.

The service department is now in Marchwood, I was uncertain, but Phil uses them and their service manager seems helpful, fingers crossed:thumbsup: