PDA

View Full Version : Want to quit smoking?

Friend of Cheeky
17-11-2005, 03:56 PM
DON'T BOTHER READING THIS IF YOU'RE NOT A SMOKER and I'm not trying to be some kind of evangelist or sell anything but I quit last week by going to an Alan Carr clinic. An amazing experience and I feel GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT. I thought if anyone else wanted to do the same I could pass on the details. PM me if so. Haven't felt so good for years

I'm just rather happy with myself:smiley:

Hazy
17-11-2005, 04:08 PM
DON'T BOTHER READING THIS IF YOU'RE NOT A SMOKER and I'm not trying to be some kind of evangelist or sell anything but I quit last week by going to an Alan Carr clinic. An amazing experience and I feel GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT. I thought if anyone else wanted to do the same I could pass on the details. PM me if so. Haven't felt so good for years

Hi John, I've missed The Friend of Cheeky dude. Can the clinic do anything to rid me of a beer belly.

Oh an I have a major irritation I need to get rid of.

I call it Angelis :D:D:D

Friend of Cheeky
17-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi John, I've missed The Friend of Cheeky dude. Can the clinic do anything to rid me of a beer belly.

Oh an I have a major irritation I need to get rid of.

I call it Angelis :D:D:D

Yes, Hazy, the trick is to not rely on willpower to stop you from drinking beer but to rid yourself of the belief that beer gives you any benefit whatsoever. That's not so easy with beer I'll grant you but I'm sure you could apply the theory to your Angelis problem and then he would be out of your life forever!

MR 51 AMB
17-11-2005, 04:24 PM

Well done mate, I'm going to try & stop tomorrow!
Wish me luck

Hud
17-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes, Hazy, the trick is to not rely on willpower to stop you from drinking beer but to rid yourself of the belief that beer gives you any benefit whatsoever. That's not so easy with beer I'll grant you but I'm sure you could apply the theory to your Angelis problem and then he would be out of your life forever!

I'd struggle with this concept. Unfortunately when i was 19 i had some fairly intensive sales training that taught me to spot and sell features and benefits - for a tobacco company!!

Ie:

Camel has an attractive packaging - which means you will stand out from the crowd.

Camel is a blend of American and Turkish tobaccos - which means its more moist than a standard blend and is perfectly suited to skinning up .

mmm

why did you first start smoking?

Friend of Cheeky
17-11-2005, 04:42 PM
I'd struggle with this concept. Unfortunately when i was 19 i had some fairly intensive sales training that taught me to spot and sell features and benefits - for a tobacco company!!

Ie:

Camel has an attractive packaging - which means you will stand out from the crowd.

Camel is a blend of American and Turkish tobaccos - which means its more moist than a standard blend and is perfectly suited to skinning up .

mmm

I was skinning up well before I started smoking fags so I guess I accidentally started because of that. Whatever the reasons, I haven't even vaguely wanted one for over a week. I'm out on the p!ss tonight though with a bunch of my disgusting smoker friends so we'll see what happens there.

I'm guessing they'll have kicked my head on by the end of the evening:grin:

Angelis
17-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Ie:

mmm

Friend of Cheeky
17-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Well done mate, I'm going to try & stop tomorrow!
Wish me luck
Good luck, mate! I'll PM you the number of this place if you feel you can't do it alone!

MR 51 AMB
17-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Good luck, mate! I'll PM you the number of this place if you feel you can't do it alone!
Cheers mate.
I'm just going outside now to smoke what hopefully will be my last one!

angelboy
17-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Cheers mate.
I'm just going outside now to smoke what hopefully will be my last one!

Good luck Bex!

Remember, it's easy to stop smoking!!! :thumbsup:

Nice one John by the way!

Ravi 355
17-11-2005, 05:14 PM
I have smoked for 15 years, apparently is supposed to be harder to give up then heroine :cry3:

Steve
17-11-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm going outside for a smoke now.

spidermanUK
17-11-2005, 05:48 PM
If you give up smoking, drinking and sex, you won't necessarily live any longer, but it'll bloody feel like it!:cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

rmdferrari
17-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Well done John. I gave up over 4 years ago after the wife suggested she wanted to, so I thought I would too. Got prescription patches from the "Ceaseation Nurse" (real title) at the surgery.

One of the easiest things I've ever done. Having told everyone I'd given up, pride then kicks in so you don't want to "fail". ...I may have put on a pound or two? BTW, we worked out was costing £4,500 net per year! :(

barabus
17-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Ive been thinking of starting again:laugh:

MR 51 AMB
17-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Good luck Bex!

Remember, it's easy to stop smoking!!! :thumbsup:

Nice one John by the way!
Cheers Paul.
It's been 5 hours now & all is well. However my fella would tell you different as I daren't go in the kitchen (I normally smoke my ciggies in there out the back door) So he's done all the cooking & washing up. I'll have him in there later doing the ironing!!!!!
Have you stopped then Paul?

angelboy
18-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Cheers Paul.
It's been 5 hours now & all is well. However my fella would tell you different as I daren't go in the kitchen (I normally smoke my ciggies in there out the back door) So he's done all the cooking & washing up. I'll have him in there later doing the ironing!!!!!
Have you stopped then Paul?

I've stopped loads of times....it's easy:laugh:

MR 51 AMB
18-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I've stopped loads of times....it's easy:laugh:
And even easier to start again?

Friend of Cheeky
03-02-2006, 05:00 PM

For those smokers who are interested a little follow up on this post...
Having been to the Allen Carr clinic I stopped for 8 weeks, no problem. Carried on drinking, going out etc. Then I went to a certain Christmas party and had a puff on something which I THINK contained some tobacco:wink3: One golden rule is DO NOT have anything with tobacco in it at all otherwise you get hooked again immediately.

It's true.Two days later I was on the fags again:cry:

However, the clinic offer a free session if you fail within 6 months. Went back 2 weeks ago. Haven't had a ciggie since or even a craving. Feel great again.:)

A308 MAN
03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Ive been thinking of starting again:laugh:
well at least you have the ashtray :wink3: :wink3:

If you give up smoking, drinking and sex, you won't necessarily live any longer, but it'll bloody feel like it!:cry3: :cry3: :cry3:
i once went without sex for thirteen years.

on my fourteenth birthday i was rampant.

Ade
03-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Ive started smoking only when drunk and there are fags around.... is this going to be a slippery slope? And when I say fags, I dont mean gay men :shocked: :grin: that would be slightly more worrying

Flossyrockstar
03-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Stopped 2 weeks before christmas, Have had a couple when out on the Pi55
But have managed to stay off for 3 weeks.

F328GTS
03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm thinking of starting smoking. Should I start with the Nicotine patches and gradually work my way up? :laugh:

Friend of Cheeky
03-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Ive started smoking only when drunk and there are fags around.... is this going to be a slippery slope? And when I say fags, I dont mean gay men :shocked: :grin: that would be slightly more worrying
Without question a slippery slope. Stop now Ade before it's too late:thumbsup:

Pauli
03-02-2006, 06:36 PM
mmm355 did the smoking ban have anythign to do with this quitting?

I personally don't smoke, but would love to get rid of my gut and exercise is difficult with a slipped disc but might buy a dog and do more walking!!

Pauli
03-02-2006, 06:36 PM
mmm355 did the smoking ban have anythign to do with this quitting?

I personally don't smoke, but would love to get rid of my gut and exercise is difficult with a slipped disc but might buy a dog and do more walking!!

rmdferrari
03-02-2006, 07:35 PM

Very worring Ade.... don't be a chump! It may even turn your hair ginger...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hud
22-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Update please.:)

Friend of Cheeky
22-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Update please.:)
Having got back on the fags at Christmas after 8 weeks of abstinence, due to a evil friend offering me a spliff, I went back to the clinic for a top up. Stopped again for 8 weeks.

But in March, something happened that made me light up again - can't remember what it was - and I've gradually started smoking again.

So I'm off to the clinic for another session. I'll crack it soon. The key is to not smoke any tobacco in any format, coz as soon as you do you're back on fags.

Still, since November I have only smoked for 2 months out of 6. That's got to be better than smoking full time.

Hud
22-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Having got back on the fags at Christmas after 8 weeks of abstinence, due to a evil friend offering me a spliff, I went back to the clinic for a top up. Stopped again for 8 weeks.

But in March, something happened that made me light up again - can't remember what it was - and I've gradually started smoking again.

So I'm off to the clinic for another session. I'll crack it soon. The key is to not smoke any tobacco in any format, coz as soon as you do you're back on fags.

Still, since November I have only smoked for 2 months out of 6. That's got to be better than smoking full time.

Im still on them - only at the wekends tho.

Friend of Cheeky
22-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Im still on them - only at the wekends tho.
How do you manage that? I bet you can't wait for Friday evening

Hud
22-05-2006, 11:00 AM
How do you manage that? I bet you can't wait for Friday evening

dont smoke at home or work, only time i go out in the week is to the gym.
Soon as i smell alchohol then the marlboro lights are out. An outer of 200 will last me a couple of months.

angelboy
23-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I stopped yesterday! :thumbsup: I'm finding it extremely easy and I know I won't have any problems at all.

The secret......I've sacrificed smoking for something else that I want much much more.

Think about the sacrifices you make for your Ferrari and see if you can think of something that you want a little more than smoking and then make the sacrifice! There aint many reason you'll want to stop, Health, Money, Social constrains or working environments are about it really so pick one and do it.

It's all psychological so as soon as realise it's completely in your head then you'll stop no problems at all!

Hud
23-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I stopped yesterday! :thumbsup: I'm finding it extremely easy and I know I won't have any problems at all.

The secret......I've sacrificed smoking for something else that I want much much more.

Think about the sacrifices you make for your Ferrari and see if you can think of something that you want a little more than smoking and then make the sacrifice! There aint many reason you'll want to stop, Health, Money, Social constrains or working environments are about it really so pick one and do it.

It's all psychological so as soon as realise it's completely in your head then you'll stop no problems at all!

To be honest i did look in the mirror last night and question why i still smoked - 2 young kids, who i would love to see grow up and get married,etc. Probably time to quit altogether.