PDA

View Full Version : Home Cinema

jeffqv
17-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Thinking of upgrading my system and spending up to a grand. Anyone bought recently? Thoughts etc? I use a 32 inch Philips LCD TV which is great, it just makes my old cinema stuff a bit ancient!

ferrari-spider
17-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I tell ya what i bought two 42in plasma (flat jobby)TVs last month for £1900 from Power House. You can get good 42s for less that a grand these days:thumbsup: If its good suround sound speakers ya want for under a grand try Argos, good selection there for the money.

stevew
17-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Try here for some info on different systems
http://www.avforums.com/

Sledge
17-11-2005, 08:21 PM
A set of kef 2005.2's surround speakers (600) and a denon avr 2106 amp (400).

If you want HDMI inputs/outputs,add 200 to the amp and go for a Pioneer VSX-AX2AVi.

This is an excellent setup for starters. A basic rule is to go for speaker system which is 2 or 3 times the cost of your amp.

A progessive scan DVD is also a must if your screen will take the input. Once again if you aim for a DVD player around 200 plus mark, it will make the most out of your system.

If you ask at Sevenoaks or AVland they will tailor a system to your budget.

steve f
17-11-2005, 08:28 PM
please remember to buy a colour TV licience :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hud
17-11-2005, 08:28 PM
have a 5ft projector screen and sanyo projector tv in my games room. have an excellent surround sound system with 5 speakers and a sub powered by a sony amp. The system works well and has that proper cinema feel to it, particularly with the whirring of the fans in the projector. Probably not suitable if you wanted it as an everyday set for a lounge tho.cost about 2500 a yr ago, but i think they are quite a bit cheaper now.

spidermanUK
17-11-2005, 08:37 PM
have a 5ft projector screen and sanyo projector tv in my games room. have an excellent surround sound system with 5 speakers and a sub powered by a sony amp. The system works well and has that proper cinema feel to it, particularly with the whirring of the fans in the projector. Probably not suitable if you wanted it as an everyday set for a lounge tho.cost about 2500 a yr ago, but i think they are quite a bit cheaper now.
That's a perfect set-up if you are a cave-dweller!
You can't use the stupid thing in daylight!
I've got a Sony projector which projects straight onto the wall giving a 112 inch picture,which is much higher quality than any LCD or Plasma, with a Bose Lifestyle 28 sound system. The projector is a waste of time unless you blackout the room, or it's dark, the projector is infuriating with the bloody row the fans make, and the Bose system delivers so much "surround sound" that I have to switch the 2 rear speakers off if there's dialogue otherwise you can't make out what's being said!

All in all a great system for action movies but crap for her indoors to watch Eastenders!

Hud
17-11-2005, 09:01 PM
That's a perfect set-up if you are a cave-dweller!
You can't use the stupid thing in daylight!
I've got a Sony projector which projects straight onto the wall giving a 112 inch picture,which is much higher quality than any LCD or Plasma, with a Bose Lifestyle 28 sound system. The projector is a waste of time unless you blackout the room, or it's dark, the projector is infuriating with the bloody row the fans make, and the Bose system delivers so much "surround sound" that I have to switch the 2 rear speakers off if there's dialogue otherwise you can't make out what's being said!

All in all a great system for action movies but crap for her indoors to watch Eastenders!

I am so rich that i have curtains:thumbsup:

spidermanUK
17-11-2005, 09:03 PM
I am so rich that i have curtains:thumbsup:
According to this, they're beef:grin: :grin: :grin:

http://www.zindagi.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=11930&postcount=8

Hud
17-11-2005, 09:05 PM
According to this, they're beef:grin: :grin: :grin:

http://www.zindagi.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=11930&postcount=8

pull yerself together:laugh:

Angelis
17-11-2005, 09:33 PM
You can get good 42s for less that a grand these days:thumbsup: If its good suround sound speakers ya want for under a grand try Argos, good selection there for the money.

IMO anything around a grand is'nt going to be that good and I'd avoid Argos.

A good one is around 2.5K, but the new Sony & Toshiba LCD's are really good.

Best place to buy is John lewis as they pricematch and more importantly, give you a 5 years warranty with it. I saved 500 by getting John Lewis in Watford to price match against Crampton & Moore in Sheffield.

One of the best ones around is the Panasonic PV500. Lovely plasma it is, especially with a HDMI connection to the DVD player.

tonyh
17-11-2005, 09:34 PM
For the money, i think this system's pretty unbeatable;If you want anything ,PM as i have a friend who owns Digital Direct ;)

http://www.kefinstanttheatre.com/kefinstant.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00083D7GI/202-0554296-1991815

stevew
17-11-2005, 09:58 PM

Best place to buy is John lewis as they pricematch and more importantly, give you a 5 years warranty with it. I saved 500 by getting John Lewis in Watford to price match against Crampton & Moore in Sheffield.

One of the best ones around is the Panasonic PV500. Lovely plasma it is, especially with a HDMI connection to the DVD player.

Good point,I got my Panasonic Viera from JL,saved about a grand at the time by getting them to price match,and as Sy says you get the 5 year warranty thrown in.

If you want anything ,PM as i have a friend who owns Digital Direct

As Tony says,good company well worth a call.

steve f
17-11-2005, 10:03 PM

i cant believe that you buy the top of a range TV and the bottom of the range FERRARI :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jas
17-11-2005, 10:30 PM
I created a dedicated darkened room in my new place. Installed an 8' screen, soundproofing, high def (HD2 chipset) projector etc etc. Cost 5 figures though :(

Well worth doing it right, as I now prefer viewing movies there than in a cinema :thumbsup:

Angelis
17-11-2005, 10:40 PM
i cant believe that you buy the top of a range TV and the bottom of the range FERRARI :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ferrari-spider
17-11-2005, 10:55 PM
IMO anything around a grand is'nt going to be that good Well ya got that wrong mate, the two 42s i bought are sharp plasmas, and are great tvs. I have a 50 inch plasma in my living room and the two sharp 42s are in my bed room and my boys chill out room. And thats just at one house:wink3:
The dude who started the thread stated that he had a grand to spend so i advised him on what he said. Had he said that he had 5 grand to spend then the responce would have been different. And how much are the PV500s? are they a grand like the dude asked?

barabus
17-11-2005, 11:02 PM

Got you there Sy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Angelis
17-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Got you there Sy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I shall be doing a bit of research over the weekend ...... and then counter strike!

angelboy
17-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Check out the new bose gear - their top of the line stuff. Go to one of their listening rooms if you can.
I'm about two weeks away from finishing my own cinema room, just sorting out the screen at the minute. Got the new Pioneer THX 7.1 av amp with 7 speakers + sub...........should be good, I'll post some pics when I've done...............if your bothered.
Like Steve said, www.avforums.co.uk is pretty good for a bit of info but whatever you think you need now will be chucked in the bin when you start doing a bit of research.

spidermanUK
18-11-2005, 12:11 AM
We all seem to have missed the point!
Jeff's got the screen, a 32" plasma, what he wants is the "home cinema" bit!
:cry:

Jas
18-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Get a bigger screen :D

Jas
18-11-2005, 09:12 AM
More seriously though, what he needs is a sound system to go with his current screen then. Not sure that a 1k is near enough though, if he wants a decent speaker set, subwoofer, and a sound processor/amp.

I'd have thought at a minimum to budget 2k for these things.

Best advice is to visit Sevenoaks Sound and Vision. They are real pros and did my kit.

tonyh
18-11-2005, 09:40 AM
We all seem to have missed the point!
Jeff's got the screen, a 32" plasma, what he wants is the "home cinema" bit!
:cry:

This is the nuts , repeat , this is the nuts. And it's what Jeff asked about.

Sledge
18-11-2005, 10:26 AM
This is the nuts , repeat , this is the nuts. And it's what Jeff asked about.

But this isn't true surround sound. It uses virtual dolby to throw the surround around the room. Depending on your room setup you might not get the best performance.

IMHO you are better off with a dedicated amp and a good set of speakers.

For instance I have my set up in a small room which is odd shaped. I have a Pioneer 42" Plasma (2.5k), B&W MT 20 Speakers (900), PioneerVSX-AX4AVi Amp (900), Denon DVD 1920 (250). This is a perfect setup (maybe a little overkill) for my room. The sound is point perfect, bass awesome within movies and it is also good at playing audio. The amp automatically sets its self up depending on where you have placed the speakers and it also upscales the image to HD from what ever the input.

As stated checkout avforums.com for advice, however you may find you are more confused than when you started, also your budget tends to grow. At the end of the day you can get a good all in one system for 500 (denon DHT 500SD) or pay up to 80,000 for a top end, top dollar system ( a set of top end speakers can cost 20,000 alone).

tonyh
18-11-2005, 10:39 AM
The Kef unit has only 2 speakers and sub woofer so of course won't give a true 5.1 set up . However, it' s sound quality has won it numerous awards and for the money it's a super bit of kit.

angelboy
18-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Get a bigger screen :D

Jas, you're really small mate...........I like your pink top though :grin:

stevew
18-11-2005, 10:47 AM
It all depends on the room and what it's being used for.If it's a dedicated home cinema like Jas's then you will look at spending a few grand to get a good set up and you are probably as well seeking professional advice.
However if it's just just to complement your main TV in the lounge,a set up in a box for a few hundred quid should do the job nicely.

Jas
18-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Jas, you're really small mate...........I like your pink top though :grin:

All I need now is a pink 355 to go with my lovely top :laugh:

angelboy
18-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Has anyone had a listen to that new Yamaha box?
http://www.yamaha-uk.com/sound_projectors/

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238576&highlight=YSP-1

I can't imagine it replaces dedicated speakers but it gets you wondering a little!

About a grand I think!

jeffqv
18-11-2005, 01:40 PM
totally and utterly bemused, you guys make me smile all day! Tony you are right, I have the screen its the cinema stuff I want and cheers for the link. Lots of stuff to follow up here (not the screens!) thanks again:thumbsup: