PDA

View Full Version : Skittle Britain ?

beau_apex
18-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Looks like this is the beginning of the end. Must admit the strongest characters have probably been pushed as far as they can now. :snore:

The critics: Little Britain - yeah, but no
Jon Rogers and Lorna Goodyer
18 November 2005 10:26

It seems that the backlash from the critics over the BBC's hugely popular comedy show Little Britain has got underway.

One of the strongest critics was The Independent's Robert Hanks who said "the sense of novelty has long gone" and asked: "Has any comedy been so desperate to offend its audience?"

In a headline that ran "No, but, no, but, no, but, NO", the Daily Mirror's TV crit Jim Shelley largely panned Matt Lucas and David Walliams' new characters: "I found Tom Baker's intros far funnier than the five new characters in last night's debut. None of them had anything like the appeal of Daffyd or Vicky Pollard" adding that all the humour was based on disgust.

The Times appeared split on the issue of the show. Mick Hume, in his column, berated the show and said it was "less cutting-edge comedy than comic conformism" and admitted he'd rather be watching a video of Bernard Manning. Dominic Maxwell cautiously welcomed the start of the third series saying: "Though it was about as surprising as a one-disc jukebox, it was also compulsively consumable as a tube of chocolate Pringles."

Also taking a cautious stance was The Guardian's Rupert Smith who wrote: "Familiarity has dulled many of my objections to the show, although I still can't get used to comedy blackface or jokes about senile incontinence, mental illness etc."

Gerard O'Donovan spoke about familiarity as well in The Daily Telegraph but, unlike Smith, suggested that it was "All brilliantly done and very, very funny, but perhaps because we now expect it, never quite delivering the same knockout blow of shock".

Writing for the Daily Express and Daily Star, Matt Baylis's comments echoed O'Donovan's. He said: "Last night's offering proved that all good things come to an end. Or they should, anyway".

Perhaps the harshest critic was the Daily Mail's Christopher Matthew who claimed he never saw Little Britain's appeal in the first place. "I wish I could join in the applause for their success, but I cannot for the life of me see why it is deserved."