What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

2020 Corvette Stingray.

Agree!!

As an aside my 5 series drives me nuts sometimes. Doesn’t let me reverse with the door open or open the boot with the engine running! Next it will be telling me when to wipe my nose!!!!:laugh:

:laugh:

Interesting switch to mid engine - otherwise nothing new to see.

Bottom line they are / will be very common sports cars every US town will have one.

If Ferrari did corvette volumes (120,000 cars per model) they would be way cheaper than corvettes.

Prestige / rarity is a major part of the appeal in the supercar market.

Never thought about it like that :thumbsup:

Agree!!

As an aside my 5 series drives me nuts sometimes. Doesn’t let me reverse with the door open or open the boot with the engine running! Next it will be telling me when to wipe my nose!!!!:laugh:
:laugh:

My Merc does similar. It will still let me back it into a wall if I am not looking at my rear view camera though :laugh:

I'm also not convinced a Ferrari would be for sale on the 'home market' for under £50k no matter how many they made of the model. Maybe they could be but that's a different thing from saying they would be :)

Agree - Porsche have some of the lowest production costs in the sector (only some of which is due to amortisation of costs over larger volumes) BUT they already have a prestige image and perceived value so why sell for anything less.

It's the reason why they are, per unit, the most profitable car company.

Ferrari deliberately limit volumes way below demand so the customer does actually gets something in return for their heavy outlay in the form of strong residuals. They could produce at lower costs but then they also fund an F1 team with their inflated prices for cars & parts too so would have to shut the F1 team expenditure down. This alone would crush the perceived value for a lot of people who understand they are bankrolling the team on the track.

Agree - Porsche have some of the lowest production costs in the sector (only some of which is due to amortisation of costs over larger volumes) BUT they already have a prestige image and perceived value so why sell for anything less.

Ferrari deliberately limit volumes way below demand so the customer does actually gets something in return for their heavy outlay in the form of strong residuals. They could produce at lower costs but then they also fund an F1 team with their inflated prices for cars & parts too so would have to shut the F1 team expenditure down. This alone would crush the perceived value for a lot of people who understand they are bankrolling the team on the track.

:thumbsup:

And most of us would feel better about that if they’d get their act together and catch Mercedes :)

Not so sure Porsche make as much per unit as Ferrari. Some studies have found that taking taking annual revenue and EBIT (earnings before interest and tax) and dividing it by the number of cars sold you get the average profit the company makes per car.

Ferrari is $80,000 per car and Porsche is $17,250 per car. This is based on operating costs and turnover.

The Ferrari F1 team budget is circa $450 million but they do get some sponsorship so thats not the actual cost to the company, and Ferrari make a fortune in merchandising. How much money have we collectively spent on Ferrari tat :laugh:

I’ve really enjoyed reading through your opinions on the new Corvette. As a “Yank” i can tell you this. The Corvette has always been sub-standard to offerings from Europe to us too. It’s always been brutally fast but interior has always seemed cheap. Even with the C6/C7 improvements. But it’s relatively cheap and a beast on the road ! It’s like a racing cart with satellite radio, and cheap/easy to repair in your own shop. However the rumor mills here are churning out some serious fear numbers for Europe’s sporting giants. Will it ever be a 488? Hell no!! Will it outrun a 488 in EVERY category in Z06 or ZR1 trim? Hell yes. And 1/3 the cost or less. And cost of ownership? No comparison. The thing goes 2.8sec to 60 in BASE trim. Like I said it’ll never be a Ferrari. It isnt meant to be. But it will be a game changer. And having already sat in one you’ll be impressed with interior as well. Looking forward to more convo. Cheers !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve really enjoyed reading through your opinions on the new Corvette. As a “Yank” i can tell you this. The Corvette has always been sub-standard to offerings from Europe to us too. It’s always been brutally fast but interior has always seemed cheap. Even with the C6/C7 improvements. But it’s relatively cheap and a beast on the road ! It’s like a racing cart with satellite radio, and cheap/easy to repair in your own shop. However the rumor mills here are churning out some serious fear numbers for Europe’s sporting giants. Will it ever be a 488? Hell no!! Will it outrun a 488 in EVERY category in Z06 or ZR1 trim? Hell yes. And 1/3 the cost or less. And cost of ownership? No comparison. The thing goes 2.8sec to 60 in BASE trim. Like I said it’ll never be a Ferrari. It isnt meant to be. But it will be a game changer. And having already sat in one you’ll be impressed with interior as well. Looking forward to more convo. Cheers !!

Hi Brian and welcome to CS.

Good to have a view from across the Pond. As I’ve said, I quite like it. It seems to focus on what’s important ie performance and fun, without being too worried about things such as space age materials and high tech engineering. I think the ownership experience is likely to be good as a result. Be interesting to see how it goes down over here.

Indeed, European response in the showroom and in the Magazines will be the true test of the C8. It’s already successful here according to dealer preorders. I believe first year production is already sold out. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who would be the dealership over here then?

Edit...just remembered its a Chevy so local dealerships!

Last edited:
Apparently the new Corvette will be sold here in RHD next year. 0-60 in 2.9 seconds and just shy of 200mph (UK model will have the performance pack and as standard as well as the better trim pack I think), big NA engine, practical in terms of boot space even if probably not in terms of mpg...……

May not be everyone's cup of tea but does seem like a lot of car for £80k which is supposedly what it'll be sold for over here.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/401157/chevy-corvette-right-hand-drive/

P.S. Sorry, but it appears to have the 'ipad' as standard.

Last edited: