Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: House viewing

Name
    Nicola

Default House viewing

Background: looking to move house within the next 6 months or so.

Current house is not for sale yet, but I have been scanning the papers, online for the last few months.

Yesterday I found a house that fits more requirements than any I have seen before and it is in a village I would love to live in.

The bad points are: near the top end of the budget and the house has storage heaters!

Plus points: location (it's a mile from Silverstone circuit), just think of the noise. Has plenty of parking, secure/garage/workshop. Just the right size house.

Will take a drive to the place in the next few days for a better impression then decide on a viewing.
    I am even willing to do the 45min drive to work.

I am worried my heart will rule my head on this, although I know the storage heaters are the most expensive stupid heating system ever invented (I lived in a cold rented house that had them).
    The other half said 'we can find out the cost of installing central heating'. He is looking at the house with the rose tinted specs too.

Can I have some sensible thoughts.

Name
    jos

Please purchase as sounds ideal dosshouse for race weekends which tend to be in Summer so lack of central heating not a major concern

Sorry just saw 'sensible' : ok it probably will not come off due to timing & chains etc but if it does live with storage rads for a year or two til finances become a little more stable and then decide if new kitchen or real central heating takes priority - chances are if the storage rads were really horrendously expensive current or previous owner would have already replaced anyway & I'm sure they're still being installed in new build flats etc so cannot be all bad
    Last edited by jos; 05-10-2007 at 01:56 PM.

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Not a daft question.... but there is gas to the house? Many rural areas don't have a supply, hence the use of storage heaters.

The heaters you and I most likely remember were sodding great things and scoffed electricity at an alarming rate. Modern units are far more efficient. Get a small plug in portable blower/heater with a thermostat to take the edge off any winter chill in the sitting room.

If that's the only downside, and it's close to Silverstone AND has a decent garage/workshop I'd say let your heart rule your head.

Name
    Nicola

Quote Originally Posted by rmdferrari View Post
    Not a daft question.... but there is gas to the house? Many rural areas don't have a supply, hence the use of storage heaters.
    I had forgotten about that, thanks

Name
    Nigel R

Quote Originally Posted by rmdferrari View Post
    If no gas you could install oil based heating. My last two houses were in a village with no gas and used oil. Used to fill up the tank twice per year.

Name
    Neil

Bad points first:-
    1)One mile from Silverstone-too far to walk when pissed,not far enough for a cab.
    2)
    Now the good points
    1)One mile from Silverstone
    2)One mile from Silverstone
    3)Do you realise how many friends you will have coming to stay?
    4)one mile from Silverstone
    Forget value for money,mains water,gas,electric etc,just think,One mile from Silverstone

Name
    Nicola

Thoughts on the Grand Prix if living near the circuit.

My thoughts: Invite friends over to watch race/bbq with real sound if not at circuit.

His thoughts: Rent the house out for the weekend.

I will need to look into cost of living there.

Name
    Nicola

Quote Originally Posted by F328GTS View Post
    If no gas you could install oil based heating. My last two houses were in a village with no gas and used oil. Used to fill up the tank twice per year.
    Is the cost different to gas?
    This is said from a person who feels the cold and likes the heating on....yes I do wear lots of layers.

Name
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Thoughts on the Grand Prix if living near the circuit.

My thoughts: Invite friends over to watch race/bbq with real sound if not at circuit.

His thoughts: Rent the house out for the weekend.

I will need to look into cost of living there.
    Comprpmise,charge your friends.

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Is the cost of installing alternative heating significant compared to the price of the house? I don't think if I were spending 200K on a house - for example - I'd reconsider becuase I faced a 5K bill to install a new heating system.

Is there anything aroung the Silverstone area other than the track? Nice villages, country pubs?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast