Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't people use chamois leathers and sponges anymore?

Name
    Andrew

Red face Don't people use chamois leathers and sponges anymore?

Am I right in thinking that the good old chamois leather has fallen out of favour? Seems to be these new fangled things called Microfibre Drying Towels.

A similar fate appears to have befallen the trusty sponge, again to be replaced by microfibre cloths and mits. Not used one yet but it suprises me they can hold enough water. Am I right in thinking that I microfibre has won out because it doesn't leave any swirl marks?

Apologies for being out of the loop but its been a while since I had a car worth the trouble

Name
    SCP Ian

the chamois leather hasn't fallen out of favour but the trusty sponge has!

sponges aren't soft enough and the dirt you are trying to wash off will just sit on the face of the sponge and be dragged across the paintwork as you wash it causing scratches and swirls marks. microfibre or even better lambs wool mitts are softer and allow the dirt to be sucked up into the fibres as you move it across the panel. that said it is impossible to wash a car without putting swirls in the paint but with a mitt you reduce the damage considerably.

as long as you have washed the car thoroughly you can dry it with whatever you wish as there shouldn't be any dirt left on the car to scratch the paint

Name
    Andrew

Thank you, all is becoming clear.

So a Lambs wool mitt is better than microfibre when washing, amazing that a natural material can beat man made!

Name
    SCP Ian

Quote Originally Posted by John J. View Post
    Thank you, all is becoming clear.

So a Lambs wool mitt is better than microfibre when washing, amazing that a natural material can beat man made!
    lambswool are softer but don't tend to last as long as microfibre so just personal preference really

Name
    Si

I find a microfibre is easier to dry off and wring out than a shammy, I never use them any more. I have millions of microfibres

Name
    jay knowles

Have to be honest,i visited halfords sunday morning and purchased a maguires mit and a drying towel,they wernt cheap and im going to give them a go,probably this weekend,so im hoping on really good results with all this new technology,time will tell.JAY

Name
    SCP Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jay knowles View Post
    Have to be honest,i visited halfords sunday morning and purchased a maguires mit and a drying towel,they wernt cheap and im going to give them a go,probably this weekend,so im hoping on really good results with all this new technology,time will tell.JAY
    don't forget to use two buckets though or that money will be wasted

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

I use one of those silicon blades to remove most of the water and then chamois the car after.

Never dried a car in my life till Dave bollocked me earlier this year....

Name
    SCP Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Fraccie View Post
    I use one of those silicon blades to remove most of the water and then chamois the car after.

Never dried a car in my life till Dave bollocked me earlier this year....
    aye, and dave is gonna bollock you about using a silicone blade!

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by 1210tech® View Post
    aye, and dave is gonna bollock you about using a silicone blade!
    Goddammit,can`t win.....

Whats wrong with the blades mate ( other than them being a crap footie team from Sheffield)? It is 100% clean before I use it and it don`t half shift the water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast