Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geometry check - what does it entail?

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Default Geometry check - what does it entail?

Going on from Ted's post about the geometry check....

What exactly is it?
    How is it done?
    Is it something that can be done at any tyre fiiters?

Is it something to do with tracking and balancing as that's all I tend to do to my car.

Name
    Dave

Most tyre fitters can do the tracking, the castor and camber is a little is more involved

Toe or tracking is the amount the wheels are both turned in or out looking forward you would only have toe out by 1 deg max on certain track setup to help turn in on corners, it can also help balance out under/oversteer a little!

Camber is the amount the top of the wheel leans in, different tyres require different amounts of camber from 0 to -3deg aprox never + not thesedays anyway

castor is i think more involved but about the amount the wheel leans over whem the wheels are turned, helps with self sentering and things more complicated than i know about

thats my BS for the day

Name
    Malcolm W

Quote Originally Posted by Sy
    Going on from Ted's post about the geometry check....

What exactly is it?
    How is it done?
    Is it something that can be done at any tyre fiiters?

Is it something to do with tracking and balancing as that's all I tend to do to my car.
    Basic tracking can be done at almost any tyre fitting shop, but beware of the quality of their equipment.

To carry out a full geometery check using a modern machine will take around two hours. This will measure front and rear track, front and rear camber, castor and KPI angles. It will also measure the wheelbase and check if the chassis is "crabbed" (twisted).

At the end of the day it's mainly down to the expertise of the operator - and any adjustments will result in more costs, as in Ted's case.

Name
    Ravi

Quote Originally Posted by Ferraritech
    Basic tracking can be done at almost any tyre fitting shop, but beware of the quality of their equipment.

To carry out a full geometery check using a modern machine will take around two hours. This will measure front and rear track, front and rear camber, castor and KPI angles. It will also measure the wheelbase and check if the chassis is "crabbed" (twisted).

At the end of the day it's mainly down to the expertise of the operator - and any adjustments will result in more costs, as in Ted's case.
    So how often should you have a full geometry check on your car?

Name
    Malcolm W

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi 355
    So how often should you have a full geometry check on your car?
    It shouldn't be necessary at all so long as you haven't kerbed the car heavily or had a major accident or if you feel the car isn't handling correctly.

The tracking SHOULD be checked and adjusted if required at regular service intervals as explained in your service book.

Name
    julian

Having done a fair bit of work on both the front and rear suspension of my 348, I cannot see anywhere you can adjust the geometry as all the wishbones and mountings are fixed. Many of the older Italian cars had eccentric bushes or bolts which could be turned to adjust the settings but everything on the 348 looks fixed?

Therefore, can you adjust the geometry on a 348 and if not what's the point of a geometry check apart from indicating if something’s bent?

Good Luck

Julian

Name
    Nicola

I had the geometry done to my car last May as I knew it should have been handling better.

It was fantastic after, apparently my car had the worse settings for a scooby that the guy had seen (and the garage sees a lot of scoobies (Powerstation)).

You will get a printout of the 'before and after' readings too.

Here is the non technical description of what happens: Your car goes on a ramp, strange clamp like things get attached and I think a laser measures the wheel settings, the wheels are manually adjusted until the reading is correct.
    I didn't watch much of what was done but have a pic on my phone of the car in the clamp things if you need to see (spent more time watching some cars on a rolling road).
    Last edited by Nicola; 06-01-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Name
    Ravi

Quote Originally Posted by Ferraritech
    It shouldn't be necessary at all so long as you haven't kerbed the car heavily or had a major accident or if you feel the car isn't handling correctly.

The tracking SHOULD be checked and adjusted if required at regular service intervals as explained in your service book.
    So is the tracking checked as a matter of course during a service?

Name
    Malcolm W

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi 355
    So is the tracking checked as a matter of course during a service?
    It does depend on what the model is, but for example the 355's / 360's should have "the car setting / geometery" checked every service.

Name
    Malcolm W

Quote Originally Posted by madjules
    Having done a fair bit of work on both the front and rear suspension of my 348, I cannot see anywhere you can adjust the geometry as all the wishbones and mountings are fixed. Many of the older Italian cars had eccentric bushes or bolts which could be turned to adjust the settings but everything on the 348 looks fixed?

Therefore, can you adjust the geometry on a 348 and if not what's the point of a geometry check apart from indicating if something’s bent?

Good Luck

Julian
    Hi Julian,

Actually it's a very simple system, in the first picture the front camber is adjusted with shims #18 and the castor is adjusted with shims #16 & 17

In the second picture the rear camber / track is adjusted with shims #29
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast