Thread: Where can I find a decent Ferrari California video online?

Name
    Mitch Thompson

Default Where can I find a decent Ferrari California video online?

Like many I'm not overly impressed with the Ferrari California thus far, but I'm trying to reserve judgement. What I have noticed is that most cars look better in videos than they do in photos, and better still in real life than they do in videos. I'm not likely to see a California any time soon but I'd be interested to see some video footage of one being used normally - ie, not some contrived promo film, but some real footage of one on real roads among real traffic - preferably with the exhaust note audible instead of some poncey soundtrack that the video producer inexplicably feels we'd rather hear than a Ferrari engine. I've searched YouTube and various other places but drawn a blank. Does anyone know if there is a proper review of the California out there and if so, where?

Name
    jos

I'm pretty sure no-one outside Ferrari has published anything in print or video yet

My recollection is that they may start appearing in a couple of weeks

I notice a price has been announced at Paris of EUR 179 000 although quite what this represents is unclear - possibly Europewide vat inclusive - but no doubt excluding the RHD premium

Name
    Xmun

Keep an eye on you tube once the cars start being delivered They usually pop up there first

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

I had a good look at, sat in, and took lots of pictures (no video though) of one at the Nurburgring at the weekend. Schumacher also drove round in another.

My impressions, FWIW: It does look better when you see it than in pictures...apart from the rear which is just horrid in both pictures and real life. Whilst it was only possible to sit in the front, it seemed clear that the rear seats are completely useless for anyone with legs. I suspect, though, that it will be more-or-less obligatory to order the rear seats rather than the parcel shelf from a resale point of view.

It was barely audible when started up a few inches from me and when Schumacher was driving it round the circuit - in fact it was drowned out by other Ferraris on the road outside. Probably what the target (female) market wants, I guess, but a sports exahust would be obligatory for anyone here.

The roof was quite impressive in action. I understand it is German made so likely to actually work! I only saw the boot open with the roof up and it is bigger than on a 550's, for example, but has odd pillars and things for the roof mechanism so would fit lots of small things rather than a couple of large cases, for example. I think you'd have to fold down the centre section of the rear seats to get your golf clubs in.

Overall, it still looks too flabby to me and still looks like what it is: A car designed to be a Maserati that they then decided to badge as a Ferrari. Incidentally, rumour has it that there have been problems with the development so an early car might not be a wise choice for anyone that does want one.

I should say that the car I looked at was a recent build and seemed fairly well put together. I understand the original prototypes that were doing the rounds at previews were lashed together with sticky tape etc. so not representative of production build quality.

Jonathan

t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    ii

Quote Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
    The roof was quite impressive in action. I understand it is German made so likely to actually work!
    It's probably made by Alcoa at their plant in Soest. I just finished a project up there. They make the space frame components which are then assembled at the Alcoa plant in Modena, where they are then sent accross the road to the Scaglietti works for final assembly. I guess they must ship the roof from Soest as a finished sub-assembly.

Name
    Andy