View Poll Results: Would you Permagard your car?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 54.55%
  • No

15 45.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Permangard or not to Permagard

Name
    Philip

Default To Permangard or not to Permagard

Would you use Pwrmagard on your car. Apparently it gives a permanent concourse look and the car needs no polishing, just wash with water and presto. Needs a top up every year. Initial application is about 150 and 60 pa for the re-apply. Currently this is a product that is used on boats and airplanes. I spoke to the guys and they also said that the Norwegian airforce has treated their helicopters with it. They use to repaint them every year and now they havent doen it for 4 years or so.

What do you think?

www.permagard.info

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

I voted yes, subject to scrutiny. The editor of EVO has had his 550 done by these people. I'll be watching his reports with interest.

Name
    Philip

Interesting but your vote was not showing. I put a vote for me to see if its working and it is.

Anyone esle with an opinion on this? I'd really like some help to judge a concesus. I kinda want to do it but I wanted some sort of sense of what others think. If vote is negative I'll probably change my mind.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

I voted no. But I'm a Zymol freak.

I've heard about it coming off after a few months. But I can't confirm that is actually true.

Would be interesting to see a two car comparison with Permaguard and Zymol. Preferably two mettalic black cars.

Name
    Jules

I've got some form of guard on my 360 front bumper - haven't a clue what it is, have been looking through the history file to find the purchase - but nothing, I will say though it makes a difference. I've had the car for about a month, probably driven the car no more than 500 miles, but the guard has already prevented a number of stone chips.

I remember coming back from the European trip with my 348 looking like it had been shotblasted, thinking holy cow - that'll cost 300

So any guard has to be a good thing, If I do need to replace this 'clingfilm' type solution, I would definately take a look at other products

Name
    Jules

Just looked at the website - realise its not a 'film' protection solution, but interested anyway!

Name
    Dave

As the new "car care" expert my answer to this is based purely on my experiences of these types of protective coatings,
    Some of you may remember a similar thread on F-Chat which I gave the same advice.
    These coatings have been available now for a few years under different brand names , ie supaguard , auto glym life shine, Diamond brite etc.
    They are basically polymer/chemical based sealents which will protect the car from general road grime , salt and tar, so they do work , you can't knock them for that.
    In my experience I have found that they dont offer any protection from bird droppings, despite manufacturers claims.
    My only concern is how they perform in the long term, I normally come across a couple of cars per year where i have to remove these type of coatings , mainly due to them Scratching / Hazing and or oxidisation of the paint underneath, the biggest problem being that you cant get to the paint to polish it should it fade or oxidise.
    As far as price is concerned , if that is your budget and you want a low maintenance finish that in the short term is better than a wax/polish you 'd get from halfords, then go for it, but if your keeping your car long term , looking for full protection from everything that your car will come into contact with and a finish that is a bit special then you may be better off looking elsewhere.
    So waying the two sides to the arguement up ,and going from my experiences as a car valeter/detailer,I personally would have to say no

Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by tommo
    I've got some form of guard on my 360 front bumper - haven't a clue what it is, have been looking through the history file to find the purchase - but nothing, I will say though it makes a difference. I've had the car for about a month, probably driven the car no more than 500 miles, but the guard has already prevented a number of stone chips.

I remember coming back from the European trip with my 348 looking like it had been shotblasted, thinking holy cow - that'll cost 300

So any guard has to be a good thing, If I do need to replace this 'clingfilm' type solution, I would definately take a look at other products
    Julian I did have the armourfend for protection before. I had mixed results in that in the Elise it is fantastic. It's been on it for 3 years no problems. On the 355 ist started to come off and it started to look tatty. Also with the speeds you reach on the 355, you get the stones rip whole lines of 2+inches into the plastic so it does again start to not look too good. Considering that it costs 750 for the Armourfend kit, it is probably better to jsut have a respray avery year or so.

As you say however in your last post this is not anything to do with protection. It is just a polish type of thing that keeps the car shining with jsut washing it with water.

Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zymol
    As the new "car care" expert my answer to this is based purely on my experiences of these types of protective coatings,
    Some of you may remember a similar thread on F-Chat which I gave the same advice.
    These coatings have been available now for a few years under different brand names , ie supaguard , auto glym life shine, Diamond brite etc.
    They are basically polymer/chemical based sealents which will protect the car from general road grime , salt and tar, so they do work , you can't knock them for that.
    In my experience I have found that they dont offer any protection from bird droppings, despite manufacturers claims.
    My only concern is how they perform in the long term, I normally come across a couple of cars per year where i have to remove these type of coatings , mainly due to them Scratching / Hazing and or oxidisation of the paint underneath, the biggest problem being that you cant get to the paint to polish it should it fade or oxidise.
    As far as price is concerned , if that is your budget and you want a low maintenance finish that in the short term is better than a wax/polish you 'd get from halfords, then go for it, but if your keeping your car long term , looking for full protection from everything that your car will come into contact with and a finish that is a bit special then you may be better off looking elsewhere.
    So waying the two sides to the arguement up ,and going from my experiences as a car valeter/detailer,I personally would have to say no
    Dave thanks for your input. This is VERY helpful. Can I also ask what is involved in taking these off so that you can get to the paint again. So if I did do it and didn't like it, how could I get rid of it.

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 355fiorano
    Dave thanks for your input. This is VERY helpful. Can I also ask what is involved in taking these off so that you can get to the paint again. So if I did do it and didn't like it, how could I get rid of it.
    The only way to get it off is with a machine poliosher (mop) some G3 and about 5 - 7 hours hard labour, feel free to borrow mine :smiley:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast