Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Zaino and PPF

  1. #21
    15hn is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    HN
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stats007 View Post
    I think that's what a touch-up stick is for . A bit of practice and they are invisible from all but a foot away.
    touch up stick? what do you use to spray the panel? a can of dupli-colour from the local motorists discount centre?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NW
    Name
    James
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    depends what you want from a car really - preserve it's original paintwork and get PS - or for-go the odd stone-chip for a few years and have it painted.

    every clear film i've ever seen is noticeable, at any inspection - and they just don't seem to have the same lustre as paint!

    still, in the interest of protecting original paintwork, still the best option!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pistonheads Classifieds
    Name
    Andrew
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 15hn View Post
    touch up stick? what do you use to spray the panel? a can of dupli-colour from the local motorists discount centre?
    I suggest you look at what can be achieved rather than make uninformed comments .
    Stonechip guide.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NW
    Name
    James
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stats007 View Post
    I suggest you look at what can be achieved rather than make uninformed comments .
    Stonechip guide.
    that is superb!

    especially on such an outrageous colour!

    thanks for that

  5. #25
    15hn is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    HN
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stats007 View Post
    I suggest you look at what can be achieved rather than make uninformed comments .
    Stonechip guide.
    sure ive seen what chips away can do but ill probably give that a miss thanks.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Peterborough 01733 390777
    Name
    Tom Wakeford
    Posts
    3,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threesixtycs View Post
    depends what you want from a car really - preserve it's original paintwork and get PS - or for-go the odd stone-chip for a few years and have it painted.

    every clear film i've ever seen is noticeable, at any inspection - and they just don't seem to have the same lustre as paint!

    still, in the interest of protecting original paintwork, still the best option!

    At Last count we have done over 300 cars from this forum alone over the years and these cars have been at events all over the country.

    Indeed we even won a concourse class with our film on the front of the car at the Ferrari Concourse competition a couple of years ago so it doesnt HAVE to be as you describe.

    Although I will warrant with a poor installer and a value film you WILL see it from space often (especially on a black car).

    We have Black fezzas completely covered and I defy anyone but the owner (or someone in the trade) to detect this when walking past the car!


    Best Wishes

    Tom

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pistonheads Classifieds
    Name
    Andrew
    Posts
    323

    Default

    What's the best way to remove a film?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Peterborough 01733 390777
    Name
    Tom Wakeford
    Posts
    3,350

    Default

    Depends on the Brand of film, some require heat to be used, some dont (depends on ambient temperature) it also depends on the quality of the paintwork below, if its very weak sometimes a chemical like a G101 or a tardis in neat form (vapourises adhesive) can be the best way to go to reduce stress on the paint.

    However if the film has been applied to an alcohol based clear coat then due to the fact that alcohol is used in most fitting process then there can be an issue (common in smart repair type jobs) its why we have a body shop advisory document which we released some years ago (available on our website as a download if IIRC).

    You also have to ensure the angle is correct on removal, it needs to be kept below 90 degrees, under NO circumstances should you take the film back on itself, otherwise you run the risk of seperating the film from the adhesive, which whilst its no biggy does waste time in removing the glue.

    I can strip film from a full front in ten minutes without heat and damage and leave NO glue behind on ANY brand of film.

    As with all things do it right its a breeze

    Do it wrong then you are looking at a couple of hours of elbow grease (ask HUD) lol

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pistonheads Classifieds
    Name
    Andrew
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Thanks.

    I have some Autosmart Tardis and a low temp heatgun so will try that given it's about 5 degress outside.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NW
    Name
    James
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paintshield View Post
    At Last count we have done over 300 cars from this forum alone over the years and these cars have been at events all over the country.

    Indeed we even won a concourse class with our film on the front of the car at the Ferrari Concourse competition a couple of years ago so it doesnt HAVE to be as you describe.

    Although I will warrant with a poor installer and a value film you WILL see it from space often (especially on a black car).

    We have Black fezzas completely covered and I defy anyone but the owner (or someone in the trade) to detect this when walking past the car!


    Best Wishes

    Tom
    Granted some installers are bound to be better than others and a lot of people do speak your praise!

    And well done to your concours customers , even though they are technically cheating by entering a car with PPF on it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •