Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zaino and PPF

15hn is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    HN

Quote Originally Posted by stats007 View Post
    I think that's what a touch-up stick is for . A bit of practice and they are invisible from all but a foot away.
    touch up stick? what do you use to spray the panel? a can of dupli-colour from the local motorists discount centre?

Name
    James

depends what you want from a car really - preserve it's original paintwork and get PS - or for-go the odd stone-chip for a few years and have it painted.

every clear film i've ever seen is noticeable, at any inspection - and they just don't seem to have the same lustre as paint!

still, in the interest of protecting original paintwork, still the best option!

Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by 15hn View Post
    touch up stick? what do you use to spray the panel? a can of dupli-colour from the local motorists discount centre?
    I suggest you look at what can be achieved rather than make uninformed comments .
    Stonechip guide.

Name
    James

I suggest you look at what can be achieved rather than make uninformed comments .
    Stonechip guide.
    that is superb!

especially on such an outrageous colour!

thanks for that

15hn is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    HN

Stonechip guide.
    sure ive seen what chips away can do but ill probably give that a miss thanks.

Name
    Tom Wakeford

Quote Originally Posted by threesixtycs View Post
    depends what you want from a car really - preserve it's original paintwork and get PS - or for-go the odd stone-chip for a few years and have it painted.

every clear film i've ever seen is noticeable, at any inspection - and they just don't seem to have the same lustre as paint!

still, in the interest of protecting original paintwork, still the best option!

At Last count we have done over 300 cars from this forum alone over the years and these cars have been at events all over the country.

Indeed we even won a concourse class with our film on the front of the car at the Ferrari Concourse competition a couple of years ago so it doesnt HAVE to be as you describe.

Although I will warrant with a poor installer and a value film you WILL see it from space often (especially on a black car).

We have Black fezzas completely covered and I defy anyone but the owner (or someone in the trade) to detect this when walking past the car!

Best Wishes

Tom

Name
    Andrew

What's the best way to remove a film?

Name
    Tom Wakeford

Depends on the Brand of film, some require heat to be used, some dont (depends on ambient temperature) it also depends on the quality of the paintwork below, if its very weak sometimes a chemical like a G101 or a tardis in neat form (vapourises adhesive) can be the best way to go to reduce stress on the paint.

However if the film has been applied to an alcohol based clear coat then due to the fact that alcohol is used in most fitting process then there can be an issue (common in smart repair type jobs) its why we have a body shop advisory document which we released some years ago (available on our website as a download if IIRC).

You also have to ensure the angle is correct on removal, it needs to be kept below 90 degrees, under NO circumstances should you take the film back on itself, otherwise you run the risk of seperating the film from the adhesive, which whilst its no biggy does waste time in removing the glue.

I can strip film from a full front in ten minutes without heat and damage and leave NO glue behind on ANY brand of film.

As with all things do it right its a breeze

Do it wrong then you are looking at a couple of hours of elbow grease (ask HUD) lol

Name
    Andrew

Thanks.

I have some Autosmart Tardis and a low temp heatgun so will try that given it's about 5 degress outside.

Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by paintshield View Post
    At Last count we have done over 300 cars from this forum alone over the years and these cars have been at events all over the country.

Indeed we even won a concourse class with our film on the front of the car at the Ferrari Concourse competition a couple of years ago so it doesnt HAVE to be as you describe.

Although I will warrant with a poor installer and a value film you WILL see it from space often (especially on a black car).

We have Black fezzas completely covered and I defy anyone but the owner (or someone in the trade) to detect this when walking past the car!

Best Wishes

Tom
    Granted some installers are bound to be better than others and a lot of people do speak your praise!

And well done to your concours customers , even though they are technically cheating by entering a car with PPF on it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast