Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 360 Mag' Wheel repair – Essex

Name
    chief

Default 360 Mag' Wheel repair – Essex

Evening All (again),

One of the wheels has some slight scratches from a bit of grit moved around during washing (don’t ask). Can anyone recommend a mobile wheel repairer in Essex that is confident with mag’ wheels?

I have seen a thread at some point recommending someone but I'm having a bad search engine day it seems

Thanks,

Chiefly

Name
    Andrew

Localised repair on a magnesium wheel is not complicated - complete stripping and powdercoating has complications. Just make sure they use a compatible primer - Etoplast polyester was Speedline's original coating.

Name
    Aldous Voice

I used this guy www.thewheelrestorer.co.uk when I kurbed my wheel - he came recommended by Tim Walker. Although he's in Wrexham he sent a courier to pick up and drop off the wheel. Turn around was four days from pick up to drop off.

Name
    Phil Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by chiefly View Post
    Evening All (again),

One of the wheels has some slight scratches from a bit of grit moved around during washing (don’t ask). Can anyone recommend a mobile wheel repairer in Essex that is confident with mag’ wheels?

I have seen a thread at some point recommending someone but I'm having a bad search engine day it seems

Thanks,

Chiefly
    Chiefly, this cannot be done properly if the scratch means sanding down to bare me. You will get many more problems later.

I have been through the process twice. PM me if you want more information..

P

Name
    Andrew

Not entirely true. So long as the bare magnesium has been prepped properly, had a conversion coating and then epoxy primed it will last just as long as the original finish. Normally guaranteed for 12 months at any rate by a decent wheel refurbisher. Like any paint application - the result is only as good as the preparation, quality of materials used and skill of the sprayer.

For a full refurbishment, bear in mind that magnesium doesn't like being heated - those companies that dump a load of powdercoat on should be avoided.

Name
    Phil Worrall

Stats, been there done that and it is not the way to go IMO.

It may last a while but not that long and you will be back where you started. I am not saying the conversion coat does not work, just that if the painter does not understand magnesium and its oxidation processes then one will be in trouble.

Name
    Andrew

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I've refurbished magnesium wheels and have yet to have a single complaint.

May I ask who did yours?

Name
    Phil Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by stats007 View Post
    For a full refurbishment, bear in mind that magnesium doesn't like being heated - those companies that dump a load of powdercoat on should be avoided.
    Totally disagree stats becuse magnesium has a very high melting point and so any baking process for powder coat get no where near this.
    Baking a magnesium is a good process to follow whether painting or powder coating. Magnesium is porous and if the prep stage vapour is allowed to enter the metal then oxidation will occur from within the metal and eventually bring the paint off.

Many experts recommend having your mag wheels X-rayed if there are signs of corrosion. This is because oxidation can occur within the metal and not just on the surface. There are very few true magnesium wheel experts about.

Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by philworrall View Post
    Totally disagree stats becuse magnesium has a very high melting point and so any baking process for powder coat get no where near this.
    Baking a magnesium is a good process to follow whether painting or powder coating. Magnesium is porous and if the prep stage vapour is allowed to enter the metal then oxidation will occur from within the metal and eventually bring the paint off.

Many experts recommend having your mag wheels X-rayed if there are signs of corrosion. This is because oxidation can occur within the metal and not just on the surface. There are very few true magnesium wheel experts about.
    It has nothing to do with the melting point - aluminimum & magnesium alloy melt at roughly the same temperature. The problem occurs during the powdercoating process which is not an OEM application. Wheels should be wet-painted and stoved at 70 degrees - not 200+ degrees seen during a powdercoating process. As you're an expert you obviously know why .

348paul is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Sponsor
    Name
    Paul

How technical do you want to get

http://www.magnesium-elektron.com/da...s/DS256SU0.PDF

PS - I though the standard 360 wheels were an Aluminium alloy and not a Magnesium alloy casting??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast