Thread: Why are Spiders (and Spyders) called Spiders???

Name
    Gareth

Default Why are Spiders (and Spyders) called Spiders???

One of my mates asked me and I have no idea. I tried searching on here but there are hundreds of results with the word "spider" so I gave up

I am sure someone will provide the definitive answer any moment

Name
    cgt

I just take it to be an alternative to 'cabriolet' 'convertible' or 'drophead'. No actual meaning as such.

I think the term originated with Porsche in the 1950s, cant recall any cars in the 1930s or 40s that used it.

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Spyder

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the car body. For other uses of "Spider" or "Spyder", see Spider (disambiguation).
    Spyder or Spider is a term for a convertible car body style.
    Contents

• 1 Origin
      • 1.1 Porsche
      • 1.2 Later years

• 2 Spyders
    • 3 Spyder in name only
    • 4 See also

Origin

As with other automotive terms, the term derives from horse-drawn carriages. A "spider" was a lighter version of a phaeton, having narrower, spindly wheels and two-seat accommodation. The name implied an extremely rudimentary top mechanism originating from a small two-seat horse-cart with a folding sunshade made of four bows; with its black cloth top and exposed sides for air circulation it resembled an eight-legged spider. This term was subsequently applied to automobiles.
    Alternatively, a native Italian who has had no English influence in the pronunciation would pronounce "spyder" or "spider" as speeder. Thus a car labeled by an Italian car manufacturer as "Spyder" or "Spider" is intended to be simply a "speeder" or a sports car. (Aston Martin used to have a car labeled "spyder" but now have a model labeled "Volante", an Italian word that translates into English as "speeder".)

Porsche

Contrary to popular belief, the first car to be officially called a "spyder" was not the Porsche 550 Spyder. Aston Martin produced a spyder in the same year. Spyder is found on a wide assortment of car names since the advent of the automobile—for example, the Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Spyder that won the Mille Miglia in 1938, before Porsche existed, by Biondetti of the Scuderia Ferrari team—but arguably did not receive particular notoriety or significance until the popularity of James Dean's 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, "Lil *******", which he was driving when he died.

Later years

Other later spyders include Mitsubishi, numerous Ferraris and later Porsches. However, the most significant and known model to wear this name was the Fiat 124 Spider/Pininfarina Spider, of which approximately 200,000 were manufactured, of which 75% were sold in United States.

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by isuk View Post
    Spyder

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the car body. For other uses of "Spider" or "Spyder", see Spider (disambiguation).
    Spyder or Spider is a term for a convertible car body style.
    Contents

• 1 Origin
      • 1.1 Porsche
      • 1.2 Later years

• 2 Spyders
    • 3 Spyder in name only
    • 4 See also

Origin

As with other automotive terms, the term derives from horse-drawn carriages. A "spider" was a lighter version of a phaeton, having narrower, spindly wheels and two-seat accommodation. The name implied an extremely rudimentary top mechanism originating from a small two-seat horse-cart with a folding sunshade made of four bows; with its black cloth top and exposed sides for air circulation it resembled an eight-legged spider. This term was subsequently applied to automobiles.
    Alternatively, a native Italian who has had no English influence in the pronunciation would pronounce "spyder" or "spider" as speeder. Thus a car labeled by an Italian car manufacturer as "Spyder" or "Spider" is intended to be simply a "speeder" or a sports car. (Aston Martin used to have a car labeled "spyder" but now have a model labeled "Volante", an Italian word that translates into English as "speeder".)

Porsche

Contrary to popular belief, the first car to be officially called a "spyder" was not the Porsche 550 Spyder. Aston Martin produced a spyder in the same year. Spyder is found on a wide assortment of car names since the advent of the automobile—for example, the Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Spyder that won the Mille Miglia in 1938, before Porsche existed, by Biondetti of the Scuderia Ferrari team—but arguably did not receive particular notoriety or significance until the popularity of James Dean's 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, "Lil *******", which he was driving when he died.

Later years

Other later spyders include Mitsubishi, numerous Ferraris and later Porsches. However, the most significant and known model to wear this name was the Fiat 124 Spider/Pininfarina Spider, of which approximately 200,000 were manufactured, of which 75% were sold in United States.
    You are always good at putting my hat straight Do I get half a point?

isuk is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    You are always good at putting my hat straight Do I get half a point?
    You would have had Porsche been the first manufacturer to use the name but as it was Aston Martin then I'm afraid the answer must be no

Name
    Col Goldie

G'day Gareth
    'Spider', in Italian, is 'speeder'. The Porsche was 'speedster', an open 2-seater with a windscreen, full stop. The civilised version has windows & soft-top. You blokes call them 'roadsters' as speedsters would have been deemed as inappropriate for public roads.
    As to why 'spyders' is beyond me. There is no 'y' in the Italiano or Deutscher lingos.
    Alfa Romeo has claimed 'Spider' as Intellectual Property.
    As for my number plate................

The Spider Man

Oops, wrong computer. IGBTYS.