Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Running costs..?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Watford
    Name
    Brendan
    Posts
    92

    Default Running costs..?

    I thought I would ask the experts eg people who have these cars rather than those that don't. What would you say are the average running costs/repairs pa(2-3k miles) for a;

    348/355/360 I realize this is difficult to answer.

    What mileage would you consider as being high for these cars? 60k for a 348? 50k for a 355 and 60k for 360?

    How are these cars in terms of reliabilty?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    .
    Name
    Iain
    Posts
    7,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I thought I would ask the experts eg people who have these cars rather than those that don't. What would you say are the average running costs/repairs pa(2-3k miles) for a;

    348/355/360 I realize this is difficult to answer.

    What mileage would you consider as being high for these cars? 60k for a 348? 50k for a 355 and 60k for 360?

    How are these cars in terms of reliabilty?

    Thanks
    Even 360s are knocking on for 10 years old in some cases. Therefore you are pretty much out of regular maintenance cycles & can expect to have to spend on maintenance + repair & renewal - so it becomes much more difficult to say what costs will be & they will vary from one car to the next.

    The running costs you have to deal with will depend on the condition the car is in when you buy it and then how its been treated through its life. There are known issues with all these cars, some are not cheap to fix so buy on condition and get an inspection done by someone who knows what they are doing. If you read up in the forums on line you will get a feel for the kinds of issues people have had to deal with.

    If you keep on top of the maintenance (and R&R) then they can all be reliable for the kind of mileage you are talking about. There are plenty of independent specialists on the web that publish general servicing costsfor these models (QV/Verdi/Shiltech (I think)/ KHPC/DK Engineering etc)

  3. #3
    t1grm is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Name
    ii
    Posts
    7,772

    Default

    There are a lot of variables in there. How longís a piece of string? My 360 cost 56K over 3 years and 33,000 miles. That excludes depreciation but includes parking, road tolls and insurance which were high because I used the car in Europe a lot. If you have your own garage and donít go to Europe a lot you could knock about 8K off that. That figure also includes finance interest so again how much you borrow (if anything) will also have an impact.

    Apart from a starter motor and wiring loom, I had no major exceptional running costs apart from scheduled servicing and consumables (clutch, tyres, discs, and pads). So I would say it was quite reliable.

    It had 65K miles when I sold it which is high in the used Ferrari world but, the car ran fine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    england
    Name
    jos
    Posts
    19,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    How are these cars in terms of reliability? Thanks
    Have you read any threads here at all ?

    Also why do you think 360 & 348 last 60 whereas 355 have 50 000 mile life ?

    There are many of each of these cars here with mileages way beyond that ...........

    Sorry its late but really

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    brentwood
    Name
    david
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t1grm View Post
    There are a lot of variables in there. How longís a piece of string? My 360 cost 56K over 3 years and 33,000 miles. That excludes depreciation but includes parking, road tolls and insurance which were high because I used the car in Europe a lot. If you have your own garage and donít go to Europe a lot you could knock about 8K off that. That figure also includes finance interest so again how much you borrow (if anything) will also have an impact.

    Apart from a starter motor and wiring loom, I had no major exceptional running costs apart from scheduled servicing and consumables (clutch, tyres, discs, and pads). So I would say it was quite reliable.

    It had 65K miles when I sold it which is high in the used Ferrari world but, the car ran fine.
    56k over 3 yrs excluding depreciation???? You sure about that??? What were u doing rallying the car?!!!

  6. #6
    Murph7355's Avatar
    Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Name
    Murph
    Posts
    14,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridey0 View Post
    56k over 3 yrs excluding depreciation???? You sure about that??? What were u doing rallying the car?!!!
    I reckon that wouldn't be too far off for a car that's used properly. I reckon 2 quid a mile is ball park for full running costs including depreciation and the odd "upgrade" (certainly was for my 355). Note that the cost per mile goes up dramatically the less you use the car as many of the costs are the same regardless.

    To the OP. Do a search - it's been covered in vast detail many times.

    Average 2k-3k a year for general servicing and running I reckon over time. You can get away with less, but will probably pay more at some point to cover all the bits that you've let go. And if you pick a car that someone's done this with, it could cost you more very soon after purchase.

    I also suspect there won't be that much between the three models in terms of outright running costs now, especially if you use indies and are careful sourcing parts.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Watford
    Name
    Brendan
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Thanks for the comments

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Name
    Dan
    Posts
    1,718

    Default

    I can't say I have experience of those particular models, but have some advice to get the most for your money for running costs.

    a) Buy the right car in the first place i.e. a car that's been used and looked after.
    b) Specialist maintenance and repairs - Find a good specialist and take their advice on what needs attention before it goes wrong.
    c) Specialist insurer and limited mileage policy - Michael Ward insure my 308 for less than my daily driver.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    brentwood
    Name
    david
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    I reckon that wouldn't be too far off for a car that's used properly. I reckon 2 quid a mile is ball park for full running costs including depreciation and the odd "upgrade" (certainly was for my 355). Note that the cost per mile goes up dramatically the less you use the car as many of the costs are the same regardless.

    To the OP. Do a search - it's been covered in vast detail many times.

    Average 2k-3k a year for general servicing and running I reckon over time. You can get away with less, but will probably pay more at some point to cover all the bits that you've let go. And if you pick a car that someone's done this with, it could cost you more very soon after purchase.

    I also suspect there won't be that much between the three models in terms of outright running costs now, especially if you use indies and are careful sourcing parts.
    He's post was 'excluding depreciation' so there's some big bills in there then. I'm new to all this and I'm fortunate enough to not need finance on my car but tell me this. What my car going to b worth in 3yrs time with 27k miles on the clock (it's rosso with crema) gts and assuming all is sorted now and excluding fuel what's the 'maintenance' costs per year??? From a personal point of view that's how I look at it. Cheers

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South East UK / Hamburg
    Name
    Candellara
    Posts
    6,309

    Default

    If the OP was talking about purely maintainence.

    348 - allow 2.5k PA
    355 - allow 2.5K PA
    360 - allow 2k PA

    This factors belt services across the 3 years but excludes any significant repairs

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Running costs - Ferrari 430 Spider
    By Adz man in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
  2. REAL RUNNING COSTS
    By 996rmark in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
  3. Running costs for 360...
    By chemreact in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 12:30 AM
  4. P1 running costs , inc depreciation
    By tonyh in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •