Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 348 tyre advice

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Default 348 tyre advice

My car seems to tramline quite badly. I've been told that this is fairly normal for a 348, but I still suspect mine is doing it more than it should.

Alignment was checked by Wheels in Motion this morning and is fine. I suspect the main cause might be the tyres - the fronts are dated week 4, 1998.....

However, replacing them isn't easy. At the moment, it's got Pirelli - and I can get Pirelli fronts, so could do a straight swap.

I've never been a big fan of Pirelli though, and would prefer Bridgestone - but apparently, although I can get rears (SO1) there are apparentl no fronts in Europe at the moment.

What tyres are people running - are there other options? Or should I just stick with Pirelli and either live with the handling or hope that a new set of fronts settles the car down a bit?

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    My car seems to tramline quite badly. I've been told that this is fairly normal for a 348, but I still suspect mine is doing it more than it should.

Alignment was checked by Wheels in Motion this morning and is fine. I suspect the main cause might be the tyres - the fronts are dated week 4, 1998.....

However, replacing them isn't easy. At the moment, it's got Pirelli - and I can get Pirelli fronts, so could do a straight swap.

I've never been a big fan of Pirelli though, and would prefer Bridgestone - but apparently, although I can get rears (SO1) there are apparentl no fronts in Europe at the moment.

What tyres are people running - are there other options? Or should I just stick with Pirelli and either live with the handling or hope that a new set of fronts settles the car down a bit?
    I found 348's drive very well on Toyos.

Name
    jos

One of last month's 348 tyre threads agrees http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=43049

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    One of last month's 348 tyre threads agrees http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=43049
    Thanks. I did search, and did see that thread - although semi-slicks are not really an option.

I don't know whether Toyo's are easier to get hold of than Bridgestone seem to be. What type of (non semi-slick) Toyo's do people fit?

Name
    jos

My 355 had something like T1R

Name
    Candellara

Fit a set of 355 wheels with new tyres. The lighter 355 wheels transform the car

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by candellara View Post
    Fit a set of 355 wheels with new tyres. The lighter 355 wheels transform the car
    I think that may be a future mod (I do like the look of 355 wheels), but I'd be pretty reluctant to do it now. I've not even owned the car for a week yet - and the car was already 4k over the budget I'd set myself, so even a set of 4 tyres is an expense I could live without! Plus, I've timed it well enough that both my car insurance policies need renewing in about 3 weeks....

I think I need to recover a little from the hit on my bank account before I shop for new wheels.

Name
    Andrew

On my 355, I've run Pirelli Pzero, Kuhmo KU31, Bridgestone RE050 and Falken 452 so far. Going to try Michelin Pilot sports next.

Didn't rate the Pirelli much, especially given the price. Falken 452's are OK, but very soft so you can feel a bit more sidewall flex. Seem to be lasting OK though. Bridgestones have been good also, but favourites were the KU31's. Sadly, no longer available but I'm dying to try the replacement KU39 when I can get hold of some.

Also heard good things about the T1R's.

I'd try the RE050's if I were you...

Name
    Dave

Thanks - I've asked my local tyre place to see if they can get hold of RE050s or Toyo's. RE050s would probably be my favourite, just based on past experience with other cars. I liked Bridgestone on my 964 (SO2s) very much.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Got Pzero's on mine at the moment, but will be changing them to Michelin Pilot's.

Very impressed with their performance compared to the Pzero's.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast