Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carcoon - Impression of a new owner

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default Carcoon - Impression of a new owner

I've recently bought a carcoon and had it running for a while now. Before I start I'd like to say that I'm massively happy with it. I looked at Airchamber, carcoon, sealing up my garage and getting the walls plastered etc but all in all, for me, I made the right choice.

I went for a standard carcoon as I wasn't able to use a Veloce without replacing my garage door - it would have hit the frame at the top as I opened it. Setting it up is simplicity itself. You just put the heavy duty floor section down, zip on the top section and switch it on. Within a few minutes it's inflated. I've got one of those irritating things you plug in that nags you about how much electricity you're using (not my idea, trust me) and the carcoon runs on 2 or 3 pence a day so basically free. All in all it's a really good piece of kit. I've got a dusty, not particularly air tight garage and have been running a dehumidifyer constantly to try to keep the air dry. The dehumidifyer never really gets there and I've basically been trying to dry this part of lincolnshire so I needed a change of tack. It was costing a fortune.

There is one thing I would say and I'm sure this will apply to the airchamber in exactly the same way as the carcoon, if not more so. Both systems talk about removing moisture from the chamber, drying the air or preventing condensation. I went to quite some lengths to try to get a good answer as to how the systems do this as from a purely scientific standpoint I can't see how they can. No water is collected anywhere, the filters don't get damp on the outside, the system isn't heated (apart from when you put a warm car in) so I can't see how this could be the case. I've run the system for a few days now and the simple answer is it doesn't. I've had humidity monitors on the outside and the inside and given a few hours there's no difference between the the humidity level or temperature inside the chamber and the humidity and temperature outside it. When it was a relative humidity of 80 percent outside it was the same inside. Why wouldn't it be? the air goes in, the water isn't taken out and the temp is the same inside and out. While I can see that circulating air is a good thing I don't completely buy into the fact that if this is moist air it will keep the car in the perfect atmosphere. When I dried out the air inside, switched off the dehumidifyer a few hours later the relative humidity was back up to the same as the garage as the system has to take in a bit of outside air as well as circulating the air inside to maintain an overpressure.

The above seems like I'm criticising the system but as I said I'd advise people to rush out and get one. The carcoon does do one thing very well. Although the carcoon must take in some potentially damp air from outside the chamber to maintain the overpressure it's actually relatively air tight so the additional air it takes in is a very small amount. Leave the system running on it's own and it'll eventually re-humidify inside. However, run a dehumidifyer inside and it'll maintain a dry stable atmosphere easily and if like mine it switches off when it gets to a set relative humidity, it'll only be running for a fraction of the time it would previously have been attempting to dry the air.

All in all I think the carcoon is great. I would say that to maintain a fairly dry atmosphere inside the carcoon you need to run a dehumidifyer inside it but this will really just be on tick over and acually be switched off most of the time. In my opinion it doesn't entirely do what it says on the tin, but no system will unless you take the water out somehow. With a small dehumidifyer as well, though, it provides the perfect storage atmosphere. I got mine through SteveW on here and I think all CS members get a discount if they buy through him.

Name
    Phil Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I've recently bought a carcoon and had it running for a while now. Before I start I'd like to say that I'm massively happy with it. I looked at Airchamber, carcoon, sealing up my garage and getting the walls plastered etc but all in all, for me, I made the right choice.

I went for a standard carcoon as I wasn't able to use a Veloce without replacing my garage door - it would have hit the frame at the top as I opened it. Setting it up is simplicity itself. You just put the heavy duty floor section down, zip on the top section and switch it on. Within a few minutes it's inflated. I've got one of those irritating things you plug in that nags you about how much electricity you're using (not my idea, trust me) and the carcoon runs on 2 or 3 pence a day so basically free. All in all it's a really good piece of kit. I've got a dusty, not particularly air tight garage and have been running a dehumidifyer constantly to try to keep the air dry. The dehumidifyer never really gets there and I've basically been trying to dry this part of lincolnshire so I needed a change of tack. It was costing a fortune.

There is one thing I would say and I'm sure this will apply to the airchamber in exactly the same way as the carcoon, if not more so. Both systems talk about removing moisture from the chamber, drying the air or preventing condensation. I went to quite some lengths to try to get a good answer as to how the systems do this as from a purely scientific standpoint I can't see how they can. No water is collected anywhere, the filters don't get damp on the outside, the system isn't heated (apart from when you put a warm car in) so I can't see how this could be the case. I've run the system for a few days now and the simple answer is it doesn't. I've had humidity monitors on the outside and the inside and given a few hours there's no difference between the the humidity level or temperature inside the chamber and the humidity and temperature outside it. When it was a relative humidity of 80 percent outside it was the same inside. Why wouldn't it be? the air goes in, the water isn't taken out and the temp is the same inside and out. While I can see that circulating air is a good thing I don't completely buy into the fact that if this is moist air it will keep the car in the perfect atmosphere. When I dried out the air inside, switched off the dehumidifyer a few hours later the relative humidity was back up to the same as the garage as the system has to take in a bit of outside air as well as circulating the air inside to maintain an overpressure.

The above seems like I'm criticising the system but as I said I'd advise people to rush out and get one. The carcoon does do one thing very well. Although the carcoon must take in some potentially damp air from outside the chamber to maintain the overpressure it's actually relatively air tight so the additional air it takes in is a very small amount. Leave the system running on it's own and it'll eventually re-humidify inside. However, run a dehumidifyer inside and it'll maintain a dry stable atmosphere easily and if like mine it switches off when it gets to a set relative humidity, it'll only be running for a fraction of the time it would previously have been attempting to dry the air.

All in all I think the carcoon is great. I would say that to maintain a fairly dry atmosphere inside the carcoon you need to run a dehumidifyer inside it but this will really just be on tick over and acually be switched off most of the time. In my opinion it doesn't entirely do what it says on the tin, but no system will unless you take the water out somehow. With a small dehumidifyer as well, though, it provides the perfect storage atmosphere. I got mine through SteveW on here and I think all CS members get a discount if they buy through him.
    Nos that is just what I do.....
    I set the carcoon up with the dehumidifier inside. I set it to run 4 hours per day when the humidity could be at its highest (usually a.m.) and I have never had any condensation apart from the base of the carcoon that touches the cold concrete.
    This year I covered the floor with lots of old cardboard boxes and that has worked as a really good insulator.

And besides, the carcoon keeps all the sooty air out so the car comes out as clean as it went in; something you don't see on an ordinary garage with a cloth cover....

P

Name
    Si

Quote Originally Posted by philworrall View Post
    I set the carcoon up with the dehumidifier inside. I set it to run 4 hours per day when the humidity could be at its highest (usually a.m.) and I have never had any condensation apart from the base of the carcoon that touches the cold concrete.
    This year I covered the floor with lots of old cardboard boxes and that has worked as a really good insulator.

And besides, the carcoon keeps all the sooty air out so the car comes out as clean as it went in; something you don't see on an ordinary garage with a cloth cover....

P
    Picture Phil

Name
    Phil Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by barabus View Post
    Picture Phil
    Look here you old bugger I have posted loads of my Testa in her carcoon.

I'll see if I can find some more for you Si

P

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

P
    Phil,

My dehumidifier has a humidistat which I set at 50 percent relative humidity which the dehumidifier gets to pretty quickly and holds by just coming on now and then. With the carcoon fans circulating the air a bit you don't really get any condensation anywhere as I think I'm right in saying that the relative humidity has to hit 60 percent for condensation to be possible. Thinking back to my schoolboy physics you get condensation on cold surfaces because as temperature drops the relative humidity rises and next to a cold surface the air temp drops the most so the water condenses on the cold surface. No matter how cold it gets as long as you keep the relative humidity at about 50 percent you can't get condensation.

I did a bunch of trials and it took about 4 hours for the relative humidity inside the carcoon to return to being the same as the outside atmosphere if I left the dehumidifier off. As it took 2 hours to drop it down again I'd estimate that my dehumidifier is running something like 1 hour in every 3 in order to maintain a constant 50 percent relative humidity. Maybe not totally scientific but I think it's about right.

Name
    Phil Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Phil,

My dehumidifier has a humidistat which I set at 50 percent relative humidity which the dehumidifier gets to pretty quickly and holds by just coming on now and then. With the carcoon fans circulating the air a bit you don't really get any condensation anywhere as I think I'm right in saying that the relative humidity has to hit 60 percent for condensation to be possible. Thinking back to my schoolboy physics you get condensation on cold surfaces because as temperature drops the relative humidity rises and next to a cold surface the air temp drops the most so the water condenses on the cold surface. No matter how cold it gets as long as you keep the relative humidity at about 50 percent you can't get condensation.

I did a bunch of trials and it took about 4 hours for the relative humidity inside the carcoon to return to being the same as the outside atmosphere if I left the dehumidifier off. As it took 2 hours to drop it down again I'd estimate that my dehumidifier is running something like 1 hour in every 3 in order to maintain a constant 50 percent relative humidity. Maybe not totally scientific but I think it's about right.
    I think thats why the carcoon works so well. It delays the time for the RH to get to a level where condensation occurs. Its a VERY simple device but works incredibly well unlike some that just blow lots of air around. IMO

P

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

Am I the only one that fully inflated it in the living room first to see how big it was

Name
    Pete

I think thats why the carcoon works so well. It delays the time for the RH to get to a level where condensation occurs. Its a VERY simple device but works incredibly well unlike some that just blow lots of air around. IMO

P
    Agree with that. I do think that it's necessary to use it in conjunction with a dehumidifier in order to ensure you completely keep the relative humidity down though. The modern ones with a humidistat can ensure you never get to 60 percent so you don't even get the condensation you saw on the flooring. Obviously you got round it with the boxes (good call) but I guess there is potential for it to get up a bit above what you may want if the dehumidifier is on a timer.

Out of curiosity, I've got mine set at 50 percent realative humidity which seems to be about what most of the posh storage places go for. Anyone got a take on what it should be? I've heard everything from as low as possible to 60 percent (but not over).

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Am I the only one that fully inflated it in the living room first to see how big it was

And I thought I was bad when my wife caught me in the garage sitting in my car. No matter how many times I told her I was checking how the stereo worked, she just wouldn't buy it. Said I was like toad from the wind in the willows when he got a sports car. She can be a cruel woman sometimes......

stevew is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Expert
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post

Aren't you missing the part out where you slept in it as well

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast