Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Straw Poll help required. Choices Ferrari 308 Fibreglass or Ferrari F430 F1 coupe

Name
    Ricky S Youd

Default Straw Poll help required. Choices Ferrari 308 Fibreglass or Ferrari F430 F1 coupe

I'd like your opinion on which car to choose, either a Ferrari 308 Fibreglass or a Ferrari F430 F1 coupe. Both cars are about the same money. If the choice was yours, which car would you go for and why? Many thanks

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Kind of very different cars there Ricky. I like older cars so for me it could well be the 308. Financially it might be a better buy too. But a 430 is a great car if you're into modern performance cars. They are so totally different that it really does have to come down to personal preference, so I guess the question is - what are YOU looking for? Your profile says you're looking for a 360 F1 which would lead me to say a 430 F1 would be a good bet.

Also notice you're local to my neck of the woods. One of the local Ferrari owners club's next meet is just north of Newark at a pub for lunch on sunday 3rd March. Not sure if a 308 will be there but a guy I know will probably bring his 430. There'll be some other cars I'm sure, at least one 348 will be there for instance. If you'd like to pop along let me know and I'll PM you details.

Pete
    Last edited by Nosevi; 22-02-2013 at 09:37 PM.

sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

430 - For: fast, modern electrics so should be reliable Cons: Will depreciate
    308 Fibreglass - For: Stunning looks, will not depreciate Cons: Old Italian electrics, not very fast

If you like older cars then go for the 308. It will always get admiring looks wherever you go. If you are not into uncomfortable, very noisy & hard to drive (You need a weight lifters arms to park them and you need a cyclists thighs to press the clutch, I know cos I had one) cars then you will not like the 308 (They are far more noisy then the steel cars). But get them on a back road and they come alive and give enormous pleasure and satisfaction. Nice to drive on the track as well.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    Rick

Hasn't Harry (Evo) just bought a 308 ....

Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Redcarrick View Post
    I'd like your opinion on which car to choose, either a Ferrari 308 Fibreglass or a Ferrari F430 F1 coupe. Both cars are about the same money. If the choice was yours, which car would you go for and why? Many thanks
    "both cars are the same money"....no way man.

Regardless, these two cars safisfy 2 mutually exclusive needs so just buy both to avoid any disappointment.

I have a 308 GTS QV and is is unmistakably a Ferrrari in every way but a modern GTI would have it off the line at the traffic lights. I am seriously considering a 360 or a 430 but just can not let the 308 go. Also, the 308 is a obviously a classic and has ridiculous switchgear inside but looks just awesome. Later Ferraris are plastic and pushbutton and I think they are destined just to become old and possibly unfashionable rather than classic.

Both....gotta be both

Cheers,

Steve

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jasper_40 View Post
    Later Ferraris are plastic and pushbutton and I think they are destined just to become old and possibly unfashionable rather than classic.

Cheers,

Steve
    You mean like the Testarossa? Think it's a bit more complicated than that, Steve. Though I do agree to the 308 being a classic I don't think it'll be the last Ferrari to be one.

Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    You mean like the Testarossa? Think it's a bit more complicated than that, Steve. Though I do agree to the 308 being a classic I don't think it'll be the last Ferrari to be one.
    Yep, agree...bit of a generalisation..perhaps a poor attempt at trying to define a criteria to identify a classic.

what defines a classic to you ??

Cheers,

Steve

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jasper_40 View Post
    Yep, agree...bit of a generalisation..perhaps a poor attempt at trying to define a criteria to identify a classic.

what defines a classic to you ??

Cheers,

Steve
    Good question and kind of difficult to define. To me a 'classic' is often defined by the market rather than on a personal level. A good indicator could be when an early iteration of a design becomes more 'desireable' than a later, theoretically improved, version. 308/328 could end up that way, kind of difficult to tell, but anyone who put money in a 308 GT4 a few years ago is quids in now by the looks of things and they seem to be still rising. The Testarossa seems to hold on pretty well when you consider all the improvements that went into the 512 TR, I guess some want the original version with all its quirks. Daytonas all seem to be POA whereas 365 GTC/4s (I know, a slightly different beast) tend to have a price next to them. Other cars such as the noble Mondial or 400/412 which don't look like becoming classics (just my opinion) seem to generally be cheaper the older you go.

Anyway, that may be an indication in my view. 'Iconic' takes it outside the price comparison. I'd say the Testarossa is 'iconic' as is the 308 and F40. I wouldn't say the same of the 512 TR, 328 or F50, regardless of market value or my personal preference between the models.

Just the way I see it

Pete

Name
    jos

If you're looking at your first Ferrari it depends on what you really want to do with it and whether your head is older cars or not

If I wanted a 308 I'd get a GTS for under half the money and 90 % of the performance & fun

The 430 would appeal to a different person - quieter more comfortable faster and altogether more modern

What are your own feelings ?

Name
    dinosaurus

Default Wow

Two cars a million miles apart, do you want a modern or classic Ferrari?, why a glass car ? Steel 308's are great and undervalued, if you want investment grade by a glass car, if you want to go fast and loose some money buy a 430.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast