Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another disappointing viewing

Name
    Stuart

Default Another disappointing viewing

Does anyone have any images of a 360 spider with where the original paint edges should finish?

I've been to see another car today and pretty sure most if not every panel has had paint. Not excessive overspray like ive seen on others although there was evidence in places. I just want to see where the paint edge should actually finish as every time I view a car it differs. Even from one side of the car to the other on the one today.

For example (the car was red) on the bonnet and boot panels. How far should the red paint wrap underneath the panel before it meets the black on the underside? The previous car was almost on the edge but the car today wraped underneath about 5mm and you could feel the edge where it meets the black.

The doors. The red paint on the outer door edge runs underneath the door and meets the black. There is a groove. Should it meet here as always different!

I could go on.

Any help apreciated

Name
    TW

Rear section ....Red wrap around is about 5mm, Black section should be on top of the red.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WalkerSport; 12-03-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Name
    TW

Front Section...

I'll try to find some better pictures for you later!

T.

Name
    TW

I would not worry unduly regarding the car having paint, with most of our cars we repaint the front bumper, in some - but a fewer number we paint the lower sills too, rarely do we have to paint the front end but sometimes its required, your focus should be on panel fitment / alignment and paint quality. It will be a very rare car that has had no paint - the question 'why has a car had paint?' is more important refurb / cosmetic or accident damage - if the later - was it a paint tin dropped on the wing? or did it look like this once....(robbed from internet)

T.
    Last edited by WalkerSport; 12-03-2013 at 08:42 PM.

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Mark

That's only a scratch ! .... Lol

Most sellers would prob say .... Just a light front bumper scrape

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Cochst View Post
    Does anyone have any images of a 360 spider with where the original paint edges should finish?

I've been to see another car today and pretty sure most if not every panel has had paint. Not excessive overspray like ive seen on others although there was evidence in places. I just want to see where the paint edge should actually finish as every time I view a car it differs. Even from one side of the car to the other on the one today.

For example (the car was red) on the bonnet and boot panels. How far should the red paint wrap underneath the panel before it meets the black on the underside? The previous car was almost on the edge but the car today wraped underneath about 5mm and you could feel the edge where it meets the black.

The doors. The red paint on the outer door edge runs underneath the door and meets the black. There is a groove. Should it meet here as always different!

I could go on.

Any help apreciated
    I suspect, Stuart, you may be looking for utopia and it doesn't exist. Even if all the paint edges were/ are identical and in the right place when the car is first painted (very unlikely!) a vast number of cars need paint before they leave the factory and then again when they arrive at the factory, it's therefore likely a brand new car will have different paint edges, overspray etc and unless paint protected then it'll have been painted a number of times just for stone chips let alone anything more serious and i suspect every bodyshop uses a best guess method of where to paint to

My advice would be to stop looking for perfection, buy a reasonably priced car that is mechanically sound, good interior etc etc but maybe needs some paint and then have it painted to the level you want.

Name
    D

Have a look at this thread on Pistonheads which I think deals with the same premise.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+360s%2E%2E%2E

Name
    Mallard

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    I suspect, Stuart, you may be looking for utopia and it doesn't exist. Even if all the paint edges were/ are identical and in the right place when the car is first painted (very unlikely!) a vast number of cars need paint before they leave the factory and then again when they arrive at the factory, it's therefore likely a brand new car will have different paint edges, overspray etc and unless paint protected then it'll have been painted a number of times just for stone chips let alone anything more serious and i suspect every bodyshop uses a best guess method of where to paint to

My advice would be to stop looking for perfection, buy a reasonably priced car that is mechanically sound, good interior etc etc but maybe needs some paint and then have it painted to the level you want.
    +1 Agree with Mark.
    You probably could find the perfect car at a price, then you wouldn't want to put miles on it etc.. etc...
    I had problems finding the right car, paid over the so called market price but I tend to keep my cars for a long time and I had travelled up and down the country looking. Still very happy with it 6 years later and wouldn't change it.
    My advice is talk to Tim Walker and get him to source a car for you.
    good luck with the search

Name
    Steve Field

I'm of a similar opinion as above. when I looked for a 360 I didn't see a car that was any where near perfect and as muted there's no such thing.
    For me first of all was history, that was one thing I insisted on, all stamps in place in the right order etc. Then mechanical issues and general condition.
    You will have to compromise on something, paint would be the least of my worries!. I always found the seats to be the biggest let down, tired leather on cars with low miles.

Good luck

Steve

Name
    Stuart

I'd take a well serviced/maintained car even if it's had paint work done. I understand a 12yr old car wouldn't be perfect and would probably of had stone chips repaired or damage repaired. I've mentioned this in previous threads that I except this as long as the work carried out has been done to a decent standard.

Mallard- Tim does my inspections and has been on the case of finding me my car!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast