Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Being prepared for a puncture or blow out

Name
    Dark Knight

Default Being prepared for a puncture or blow out

Just curious how many of us are prepared for this. Given that the spare wheel is a very rare option, how many of you carry around the gunk stuff you can get that you can pump into the tyre in case of a puncture in order to get home? Or would you just call the AA/RAC and get towed home to get a mobile tyre place out later? Doesn't help if you're miles from home though and you get one in Europe or something, what would you do then? (ideally have a back up car with spare set of wheels but not always possible!)
    Last edited by darkknight; 15-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Name
    Richard F

My 360 still has the original can of stuff which is now about 10 yrs old. The expiry date passed ages ago.

I know that if the unexpected/inevitable happens I'll sit at the side of the road holding a can of stuff that is full but won't squirt because the gas departed 4 yrs ago. I'll toss it as far as I can out of frustration because I'll recall typing this post but not going into a halfords to buy a replacement. Getting home will then cost a fortune and take ages and all because I did not spend about 20.

Name
    Ed

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

The tyre stuff can damage your alloys.

Name
    Lord Adam

Ferrari Assist or AA will get a phone call! Also have the tyre foam stuff but as Sy says its not worth it really

Name
    Dark Knight

What do you do if you're in Europe though? Or if it were xmas day.. sorry to pose a "glass half empty question" but important to consider (and its unlikely most of the mobile tyre guys will have the right size, so chances are it would be AA or RAC to tow home..)

Garvin is online now Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

I have, on two occasions, tried to use the 'gunk' stuff on punctured tyres (not on the Ferrari I might add) and, on both occasions, it has been a spectacular, messy failure. Complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned so I ensure my mobile phone has the requisite 'recovery' number plumbed in. The last time I had a puncture the AA guy appeared within 30 mins and 5 mins later had put a temporary repair into the tyre which enabled me to get to the nearest tyre place with no problem.
    I like red & cream!

Name
    Aldous Voice

I carry a proper puncture repair kit prompted by getting a nail in a rear tyre inside the arctic circle once. The chances of getting a repair (let alone a new tyre) were remote to say the least. I took it slowly over 35 miles to a workshop and they plugged it within a few mins. I now carry one of those kits just in case...

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by voicey View Post
    I carry a proper puncture repair kit prompted by getting a nail in a rear tyre inside the arctic circle once. The chances of getting a repair (let alone a new tyre) were remote to say the least. I took it slowly over 35 miles to a workshop and they plugged it within a few mins. I now carry one of those kits just in case...
    Great idea. Any recommendations?
    Every puncture I've had (at least 1 a year across 4 cars) is either a nail or screw.

In reply to the post I have the 10 quid tyre weld but unless it is absolutely necessary to try it I'll call the AA out.

Name
    LondonSW7

Quote Originally Posted by voicey View Post
    Do you mean something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-T...dp/B001QUN9UQ/

plus one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automot...dp/B0030FBSQ2/

maybe? Were you able to repair the puncture without jacking the car up?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast