Nice pics not sure about those new wings tho

Name
    Mark

Nice photos!

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by darft vader View Post
    Nice pics not sure about those new wings tho
    Yeah they are quite agressive BUT uncanny in eliminating the problem they were designed to solve.

Five bolts each to remove and return to stock.

Name
    Russell

Mod, I may have missed an earlier explanation, but what problem are they designed to address and at what speed can you feel the effect?

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Yeah they are quite agressive BUT uncanny in eliminating the problem they were designed to solve.

Five bolts each to remove and return to stock.
    I fist saw them on a 599GTO and don't fancy them much either (looks-wise). If they serve a real purpose however and the car's driven hard, as yours is then yep, a good call. Are they from the XX?
    Last edited by Kyodo; 21-08-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post
    Mod, I may have missed an earlier explanation, but what problem are they designed to address and at what speed can you feel the effect?
    They are designed to provide targeted rear axle downforce and eliminate wheel spin on medium speed corner exits which happens a lot on fast road driving. The slot then bleeds air above the target speed so as not to induce front end lift. They are XX parts that normally require an XX chassis number to order OR were part of a Ďtrack aero packí that was launched for GTB and GTO at the time of the GTO launch. The genuine parts are made by RI-BA who do F1 and XX program parts but unfortunately there are some potentially dangerous fakes out there. I was offered a set by the factory who like the idea that the car evolves each year for the Mille Miglia hence Ferrari themselves sourcing and fitting them for me.
    Fakes (on a GTO)
    Name:  2FA7F225-F47A-42A1-972D-9A3695AB6879.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  47.8 KB
    The real thing pre-paint
    Name:  5A0726AB-BC64-4D2B-BCF7-88A8D798B9F1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  35.5 KB

Name
    Russell

Thanks, clever stuff. How fast is fast road driving though, what is a medium speed corner and how fast would you need to go to get wheel spin on exit? Are we talking like 100 mph i.e. approx half the top speed or is that too simplistic? Assume this helps with things such as your MM exploits?

Hope these aren't stupid questions.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post
    Thanks, clever stuff. How fast is fast road driving though, what is a medium speed corner and how fast would you need to go to get wheel spin on exit? Are we talking like 100 mph i.e. approx half the top speed or is that too simplistic? Assume this helps with things such as your MM exploits?

Hope these aren't stupid questions.
    The guys at the factory told me that meaningful downforce with winglets starts earlier than standard at 100km/h and peaks at 124km/h where the car needs no further rear axle downforce. I questioned why the 599 XX EVO has a massive wing but they showed me it is actually active and therefore controls both front and rear downforce fore and aft. The winglets on my car along with its standard nolder and GTO diffuser produces a theoretical peak just shy of 300kg of downforce.

What this translates to is meaningful inprovement in the shift from second to third which is where the car strips itís rear tyres of rubber at an alarming rate but more importantly triggers the electronics which means you end up driving around them and not using everything the power train can give. Of course we are talking small margins in a specific window but as an engineer that sort of stuff appeals to me.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    The guys at the factory told me that meaningful downforce with winglets starts earlier than standard at 100km/h and peaks at EDIT 224 km/h EDIT where the car needs no further rear axle downforce. I questioned why the 599 XX EVO has a massive wing but they showed me it is actually active and therefore controls both front and rear downforce fore and aft. The winglets on my car along with its standard nolder and GTO diffuser produces a theoretical peak just shy of 300kg of downforce.

What this translates to is meaningful inprovement in the shift from second to third which is where the car strips itís rear tyres of rubber at an alarming rate but more importantly triggers the electronics which means you end up driving around them and not using everything the power train can give. Of course we are talking small margins in a specific window but as an engineer that sort of stuff appeals to me.
    Late edit above

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Did the factory say what contribution to the downforce the winglets provided. Quite interesting and I might just get my old naca books out and see if I can figure it out. (Serious test of the grey matter!)

The end plates are interesting as well as they look far bigger than you would need, so either they are that way for style or something else is happening there.

Cheers for posting up.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast