Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All confused by this jargon...

Name
    Paul

Default All confused by this jargon...

With the arrival of my new (to me) F430 next week, I have been doing some research about car washing, and the magic of detailing opened its arms to me...

Although I have had pretty decent cars in the past (991s and maserati), I had never really realized how big a deal swirl marks were. Car was until now, to me at least, was as easy as driving to a manual car wash, staying in the car while an army of dodgy looking mens kept splashing shampoo and chemicals on the car, handing a fiver and then driving away.

After the hours of videos and forums reads I went through, I think I understand why detailing is such an unknown and misunderstood art. The information out there is vast, totally conflicting, with about 73 schools of thoughts, and millions of products with thousands of compounds...

The bottom line, as you guessed it, is that I am utterly confused with what to do when it comes to car washing.

I am going to summarize what I think my technique should be, based on what I could gather, and hopefully you can tell me if I am way off. Given the multitude of methods out there, I don't really expect feedback about the perfect way of doing it, but just for you to point out any major flaw in my approach.

- Let it be said first that I live in central London, with no front porch/front garden to park the car in for a wash. Nor do I have a spigot out front, which really prevents me from washing the car with a hose. Hence, we're talking (pressured?) watering cans to get the car wet and then the good ole 2buckets method.

- Given that the car has quite a few swirl marks already, I do intend to have it professional detailed at the end of the season, ready for her hibernation. But that won't happen for another few months.

First wash
    - Get the car wet thoroughly (with the use of a watering can)
    - Wash the car a panel at a time following the 2 buckets method. I intend to use Autoglym bodywork shampoo, with a capful of of Optimum No Rinse added in the water to soften it (London water is very hard, or is ONR an overkill?)
    - Dry the car properly with clean microfiber cloth
    - Clay the car with clay bar and lube
    - Dry the car again with clean microfiber cloth
    - Apply 2 coats of wax on top (Autoglym high definition wax)
    - Buff well and that's it

Routine wash
    This would be my preferred way of cleaning the car following short day trips... obviously long drive/week end away, or car being caught in the rain would revert to previous method (excluding claying, which I don't intend to do again).
    - Get the car wet a panel at a time with pressured watering can
    - Wash the car a panel at a time following the 2 buckets method, but this time with ONR and their waterless method
    - Apply 1 coat of wax on slightly misty car (autoglym aqua wax)

That's about it. The car would be covered under a clean car cover while in the underground parking I am renting for her.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

A good detail spray could be your friend if the car is only dusty after a run out.

I use meguiars last touch sprayed on with a bottle and microfibre off after a run out if the car hasn't got wet and proper dirty.

AG HD wax doesn't last. Try one of the slightly better ones but don't pay silly money. A lot on here use raceglace 55.

Otherwise enjoy the car.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Paul

Thanks for the tip on the detail spray Mike !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post

Try one of the slightly better ones but don't pay silly money. A lot on here use raceglace 55.

At 70, I already consider this silly money. I used to use the following on my granturismo, and thought it was OK... I guess every is more expansive with a Ferrari ;-P

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0ID7MNQY&psc=1

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the detail spray Mike !

At 70, I already consider this silly money. I used to use the following on my granturismo, and thought it was OK... I guess every is more expansive with a Ferrari ;-P

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0ID7MNQY&psc=1
    To be honest your right......

I used AG HD for a couple of years and it was fine on the 360. Where I noticed it not lasting was on my regularly washed cars and with my 360 getting 2-3 washes a year, longevity is not that important.

The shine is mainly down to the paint prep.

Last edited by Mike01606; 30-05-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Name
    Mark

I tend to think of the detailing industry and its associated products as the male equivalent of the female beauty & cosmetics industry. To me a lot of it is way overpriced and a bit nonsensical.

I've found a machine correction with Meguairs Ultra-Cut compound and then a machine polish with the Ultra-Finishing Polish provide an excellent starting point. These products are 25 for both: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-U...sAAOSwBPNXRvBc

After I've done the initial machine polish I give the car an annual hand polish and more frequent waxes throughout the year.

When I wash it I just wet the car with the hose pipe and wash it with a sponge - two buckets split top/bottom of car. I don't use any virgins to do this nor or purified water from Saturn

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

After the clay stage, consider using a polish with something like Dodo Juice Lime Prime then a glaze such as Prima Amigo - the polish will take out fine swirls, and the glaze will fill the swirls and lessen their appearance until you get the car fully detailed.

Lots of folk don't like glazes and fillers, but they may do a job for you here in that the car will look better until the swirls are properly dealt with. The glaze isn't a long term solution though.

Edit to add that Tardis is something I use before claying - spray on and it dissolves tar etc on the paint

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

..........and it's always a good idea to wash the bottom half first......

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Sponges are great for holding grit Ev en with two buckets.

Much better to use a woollen hand mit.

Name
    Carper Mike

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Sponges are great for holding grit Ev en with two buckets.

Much better to use a woollen hand mit.
    This thread is in danger of turning back into "hamster versus small fluffy dog"

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Carper View Post
    This thread is in danger of turning back into "hamster versus small fluffy dog"
    ha ha ha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast