Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: O/T : My first Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by darft vader View Post
    Tesla raises the bar with a new HGV truck & a new sports car with very impressive performance figures https://youtu.be/h_SjAcQeU1A
    I don't believe the claimed figures for a second.

Even assuming battery tech reaches the required levels by 2020, the car will only achieve such acceleration in some sort of "unusable" ludicrous type mode i.e. a limited number of times and doing great damage to the batteries etc. Just like current Ludicrous mode.

And it will be so heavy it will still handle like a barge and not go around corners.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Looks like another "spectacular" from Tesla that will under deliver and wont live up to the Hype. Some cities will love truck companies who have a Tesla truck but it will end up as the shiny PR special thats used for the last few miles into the city and its an expensive way to do a delivery, as it will spend half its life parked up being recharged. If the wheels aint turning its not earning !!!

I think in a few years we will look bag at the Tesla generation of electric vehicles with all the inherent problems of the technology charging etc, and wonder why anyone got excited about it, and the only Tesla you will be able to see will be in the science museum

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post
    Mod,

Anymore you can tell us about this? I'm generally interested in guitars as is my son who covets many an expensive guitar he cannot afford. Personally I think that the excellent quality you can now get from Korea/China means that spending 3 or 4 times the cost for a US made guitar isn't needed. Also the excellent guitar modelling amps and effects means that feel and playability can be more important than tone.
    Sorry to go off topic.
    Sorry not too much as it's subject to NDA. I teach Innovation to Masters degree level and have done a bit myself - they realised that without innovation they are going the way of Stradivarius. Sure their instruments are revered and hallowed even but unfortunately by an ageing and decreasing customer base. Let's just Say tone modelling will soon allow you play any guitar from any era with any amp stack and pedal combination in virtually modelled halls.

Exciting times

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

The sports car was supposed to achieve 1.9s to 60? Surely there's a point that getting the power through the tyres to the tarmac is at a limit? I guess it depends on weight but I'll wager this still carries some.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    The sports car was supposed to achieve 1.9s to 60? Surely there's a point that getting the power through the tyres to the tarmac is at a limit? I guess it depends on weight but I'll wager this still carries some.
    There are probably ways to do it if you want to. I know back in 1989-90 the only way Honda could get the NSX to better Ferrari was to use specially formulated 'sticky' tyres. Problem was, in normal use they wore out ridiculously quickly. The limiting factor these days is certainly the tyres and not the engine power as any performance car worth its salt can spin the wheels with ease.

Funny thing is with this new Tesla, no matter how quick it is, I simply don't want one.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    There are probably ways to do it if you want to. I know back in 1989-90 the only way Honda could get the NSX to better Ferrari was to use specially formulated 'sticky' tyres. Problem was, in normal use they wore out ridiculously quickly. The limiting factor these days is certainly the tyres and not the engine power as any performance car worth its salt can spin the wheels with ease.

Funny thing is with this new Tesla, no matter how quick it is, I simply don't want one.
    I get myself into so many FB arguments over Teslas. You either want an appliance or you don't. I did fancy a Model 3 but I'm not giving them the deposit (only 1000 admittedly) and then no official release date for the UK. The deposit is 100% refundable and it just gets you a place in the list.
    I understand this for high end exotic stuff but a Tesla with swathes of plastic inside and a centre mounted iPad! Really, no thankyou.
    Last of all, quoting 0-60 seems to be what the Tesla adverts are about today. Perhaps the only way they can compare their washing machine with a real car.

Name
    steve

Chris Harris drives the P100D https://youtu.be/mHhZ9jk-DrU

Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by darft vader View Post
    Chris Harris drives the P100D https://youtu.be/mHhZ9jk-DrU
    Watched the first 6 minutes or so. As you'd expect it leathered the 911 to 60, however when CH drove the 911 it walloped the milk float to 150.
    I have a lowly 360 with no launch control blah blah and I read/watch that on later supercars and fast saloons there are menus and buttons to press to get it to do super fast.

This Tesla though looked a bit of a faff and if traffic light GP's are your thing you need to make sure the light is on red long enough to start Windows and configure ****.
    Last and by no means least the batteries have to be within some temperature range.

Ultimately watching it to where I am it is clear to me that Chris is not a fan of milk floats so maybe it is not unbiased. I will watch it all at lunch time.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Watched it all. Still don't want one. If I wanted to go from 0-60 quickly I'd buy something like a Caterham 620R then buy a nice saloon with (some of) the change.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Too much emphasis on numbers I think, just like with these pointless German super saloons. I've seen old Yanks and air-cooled street legal Beetles that'll destroy that Tesla in a straight line but their dragster-like performance has little relevance in the real world either.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast