Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari buyers guide - Please contribute

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Default Ferrari buyers guide - Please contribute

Ade and I came up with an idea to create a buyers guide for potential owners.

The idea is to create a section that covers all Ferrari models (eg: check tyre wear, paintwork etc) and then create additional sections for specific models.

Once done, I'll copy and paste it on a word doc, stick on the Club Scuderia logo's and upload it. Anyone who wants to use it, downloads it, prints it and takes it with them when they view it.

[ ] Check paintwork
    [ ] Check tyre wear
    [ ] Last cambelt change

etc

I'm not mechanically minded so can people post up suggestions please. Thanks

If you have 360 buying tips, please post here:

PS. Please don't copy from any existing buyers guides as it would be breach of copyright.

Name
    Steve W

Get a new 8 cylinder - get your deposit down early, and get rid before the new model comes out.

Amen.

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis
    PS. Please don't copy from any existing buyers guides as it would be breach of copyright.
    Only if it's replicated "word for word"....! otherwise it's just similar opinions being given.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Quote Originally Posted by rmdferrari
    Only if it's replicated "word for word"....! otherwise it's just similar opinions being given.
    Ahem.....

Name
    Phil

Default F355 Gts

Ok, as I've just been through this process, I'll get the ball rolling.

My baby "Lola" is a 355 GTS, but I'd assume a lot of this will be applicable to all the 355 range as well as many other models.

First off, I'm no mechanic and the info below is a collation of my research and a number of different opinions from people i've spoken to.

If any of it is wrong or not quite the truth, my apologies - don't come looking for me!

1. Go to see a good number of cars as there will be a huge difference between each vehicle. Local garages are the best place to start as they have stock. (Not sure if this is allowed on here) but Matthew at Kent High Performance Cars really knew his stuff about 355's and was a huge help to me. Roger Hollingworth of Hollingworth @ Ombersley was great too and I eventually purchased my car from him.
    2. First out the box, check service history and number of owners. Look for a healthy number of Ferrari stamps and a regular service pattern. Ensure belts were done regularly too and when they are next due.
    3. Check to see if the manifolds have been replaced - I had the invoice in my s/history showing this, but it's worth asking the question.
    4. Have a look at the heads and the general appearence of the engine bay, it can give a good indication of how much the owner loved the car or not.
    5. From the outside, check headlight operation and electrics (hazards, indicators, high/low beams) as these are costly to put right.
    6. Check for rust under the coachline all the way along from the front wings, the doors and to the rear arch.
    7. Have a look at the bottom corners of the windscreen and around the boot lid catches as these areas will crease in the event of front end damage.
    8. Don't be alarmed if the nose has been painted, apparently this is quite common and is often done with the buttresses, which are discussed below.
    9. Check the dashboard for quality of leather and any sign of it shrinking in the sunlight.
    10. Check the sill covers. These rust in the front corners where the door opens. Not a big deal as they can be replaced, but check how bad they are. The standard Ferrari ones are black rubber with Ferrari stamped into them. They could have been changed already to carbon jobbies.
    11. Have a look at the rubbers around the windows and the roof. Check the roof comes out OK and goes back easily. Mine's in pretty good condition, but the drivers window still leaks under the hosepipe.
    12. Early cars without an airbag had a glove box and later cars, with airbags, have a little box between the seats, under the window. Check condition and operation.
    13. While inside, does the wear look to be consistant with the mileage?
    14. Buttresses - these do go by which I mean they look like they are rusting. Apparently the cycle for repair and repaint is 4-6 years or so, but I've not owned long enouh to confirm this. Apparently, it's not rust, it is due to a reaction between the glue (yes, apparently the panels are glued together) and the paint. If they are bad, factor it into the cost, if not, you're onto a winner.
    15. Check out the stoppers and make sure nothing is overlly warn.
    16. With the engine running, listen for a metallic tinking sound. This could be the exhaust bypass valve. Sometimes, this is wired open, so ask the question or when driving, listen for the change in exhaust note at approx 3.5k - 4k revs and when the engine is under load.
    17. At idle, listen for the gear stick rattling. There is a bearing under the stick which can wear out. No big problem if it has, I don't thisnk it is a critical part and you wont need a new g'box.
    18. Ensure the clutch is strong and not slipping - ask if it's bee replaced.
    19. While on test drive, flick the suspension switch. When the light is on in the dashboard, this is "comfort" setting, when off, its automatic/sports. See if you can feel the difference as actuators are costly to replace.
    20. Check wheels and tyres for overall condition.
    21. Sticking accelerator. Common problem without a cure. It gets greased if you ask during service, but will probably come back. Get used to driving with it and it won't worry you.
    22. A few other bits and bobs to consider: Toolkit, is it all there? Have you got the tyre inflation device? Have you got the Ferrari lead light that plugs into the lighter?

There should be 3 alarm fobs, 2 black and 1 red one. Ensure the red one is available as this is the master and a bugger to get hold of. Make sure the batteries are replaced in the black fobs.

You should also have a total of 3 keys I think, 2 ignition keys and one for the lock box / glove box.

As a bit of background, the 355 changed the engine management system to a 5.1 in approx 97, during which time the airbags were fitted.

There's no worries about the earlier cars and in fact, some say that they are faster and sound better. Early management systems can be recognised by the two airboxes on the left and right of the engine bay, each having an exit pipe towards the rear window. In the later system, the airboxes join in the centre of the car and then proceed towards the rear window.

That's about all I can think of right now, but if I do come up with anything else, I'll post it.

Cheers

Name
    Amo

Why not use these and add to them as required.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/classified/guides.php

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

Quote Originally Posted by Amo512tr
    Why not use these and add to them as required.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/classified/guides.php
    you have to pay to view

Name
    Sy

Good stuff there phil.

I'll get to work on it in a couple of days.

Name
    jos

I'm not trying to tread on anyone's toes but rather just save some duplication of effort :

Hasn't the 355 aspect also been covered frequently here based on both www.the355.com and a selection of posts that TonyH put together and developed ?

Name
    Sy

Quote Originally Posted by jos
    I'm not trying to tread on anyone's toes but rather just save some duplication of effort :

Hasn't the 355 aspect also been covered frequently here based on both www.the355.com and a selection of posts that TonyH put together and developed ?
    We're just trying to create an easy to use printable version for everyone. Something i widsh i had when i went looking for one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast