Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying Italian speeding tickets ?

Name
    Mark Wibberley

Default Paying Italian speeding tickets ?

After receiving the notice and charge from Hertz last year for disclosing my details, I received the charge notice last week for about Euro160 if I pay fairly quickly. It appears I was about 30kmh over.

What if I don't ?

Obviously I wouldn't use Hertz again and if stopped by the Rozzers I'd probably be in trouble, but I do have 2 fines from Australia which are nearly 3 years old and duly ignored.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I had similar a few years back. Three offences in total that the car hire company (forget who now but a budget Hertz company I think) charged me €40/offence to pass on my details. Standard practice but maybe the amount varies.
    I waited over three years (was the time period but I think the cheeky bassers have increased it now?) and just after the three year period I received one of them. Apparently I went through a tag only barrier at a toll. The fine was less that €20. I never heard about the other two. This was 2014 I think. I did post it up here at the time.
    http://www.euroconsumatori.org/82058d82507.html
    I was told not to ignore them as they will deal with debt collectors in the UK. I do not have any experience of this. I still wonder to this day if the other two offences were genuine or if the hire company was scamming me?

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I'm getting completely mixed up. Most European countries have a mere three months. I recall Italy had 12.

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...ighlight=italy

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    After receiving the notice and charge from Hertz last year for disclosing my details, I received the charge notice last week for about Euro160 if I pay fairly quickly. It appears I was about 30kmh over.

What if I don't ?

Obviously I wouldn't use Hertz again and if stopped by the Rozzers I'd probably be in trouble, but I do have 2 fines from Australia which are nearly 3 years old and duly ignored.
    Haven't a clue about Italy but don't go back to Oz as you won't get in. A good friend was stopped on entry and duly deported for exactly the same last year. 24 hours travel is a long time, 48 is a killer apparently

Name
    Steve

Is the letter written in English? If not, you are under no obligation to pay the fine - under EU rules, the letter must be written in the official language of the country to which it is sent.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

The Italian letter is written in English and offers a juicy 30% discount if I pay up swiftly. It came in the same batch of post as the offer of a Speed Awareness course from Yorkshire Constabulary. I only speed once a year...

I did go back to Australia after the 2 tickets were issued - it was my fathers car and he wasn't driving, so maybe they don't have a direct link to me ?

I was also flashed in Calais in Wednesday...(Ok, thats twice this year then)

Seems like I ought to pay the Italian one...they do need the money

Thanks folks

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

The Italian letter is written in English and offers a juicy 30% discount if I pay up swiftly. It came in the same batch of post as the offer of a Speed Awareness course from Yorkshire Constabulary. I only speed once a year...

I did go back to Australia after the 2 tickets were issued - it was my fathers car and he wasn't driving, so maybe they don't have a direct link to me ?

I was also flashed in Calais in Wednesday...(Ok, thats twice this year then)

Seems like I ought to pay the Italian one...they do need the money

Thanks folks
    For the cost of them it isn't worth the hassle of not paying and guessing where that might lead....Simple really, you were caught so pay the fine. We'd be up in arms if people were ignoring fines here (and I'm sure they do)…..
    Like I said to be turned around at Oz immigration for a 100 speeding fine and barred from re-entry for two years, followed by no doubt what will need an embassy visit to get a full visa just isn't worth it. He definitely agrees...….

I've just paid 300 in tolls to get to Italy and back. A 100 euro fine is lost in the noise

Name
    Andy Chadwick

Thanks folks
    Sounds to me like you need to listen very carefully to the content of the speed awareness course.

Que Mod ranting about money generation, blah blah.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

I do listen carefully but at my age need the occasional reminder...

The Italian fine is Euro 165 - had it been 60 quid or so, no issue as I wasnt aware of the limits where I was at the time, but worth asking the question on here. I shall pay up.

Name
    andy

I do listen carefully but at my age need the occasional reminder...

The Italian fine is Euro 165 - had it been 60 quid or so, no issue as I wasnt aware of the limits where I was at the time, but worth asking the question on here. I shall pay up.
    I got stopped by the Italian police some years ago in the 456, and was stopped because I WAS sticking to the speed limit. After a chat and them looking around the car, sitting in it, starting it back up again etc etc, couple of photos and I was then advised "Avanti", you are in a Ferrari, drive like the wind. As this was "official advise" I duly complied and took off. Not like here, where I get stopped and inevitably I get the "bit loud isn't it sir?"
    Hey ho, all adds to another experience in life, but made the drive through Tuscany a bit more pleasurable at the time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast