Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights and lights

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Default Lights and lights

So, driving down the M4 the other day in the dark and rain I noticed that some new cars don’t have any rear lights on, despite having their front lights one.

What is that about? Is this something new? I have no idea!!

What dumb dumb decided that you only need your front lights on, but not the rear!!! Is this the same person who won’t turn on their lights as it “saves fuel” or the same person that thinks that side lights actually serve some purpose other than to make you fail your mot!!!

Name
    jos

I think its daytime lights to which you refer (front 'side' lights only) and their owners forgetting to turn anything else on after dark

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

And especially dangerous if the dash lights are on with said lights, as then they forget to turn the lights on at all!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Name
    paul

Sadly people in new cars just stick them Auto, and never turn after that.Lazy drivers now leave the car to sort it out for them.
    Same as the idiots who have only one front headlight and one tail light lit, leave it for 12 months until the next MOT.
    Ignorance is bliss

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Ahhh, yeah that make sense. Summer certainly brings out a high number of people on the motorways who just can't drive!

I think my BMW has auto lights, but we just put the headlights on and leave them on.

Must admit I'm really going to struggle when we get our next car as I hate all this automation. Little things like on our BMW you can't reverse with drivers door open bugs the hell out of me. Don't need to do it often, but when I want to...!

Name
    Malc Holden

Default Good Rantage.

Merc has auto-lights which I normally leave alone. They usually do the job. Add to that the dash is not lit by default. I'm actually getting a new car in October, I guess it will have all this bollocks

I'm not sure why in the dark folk would only have the DRL's on. I guess they switch off the auto setting and as mentioned the dash is always lit. What really gets me is that I thought DRL's were for poor visibility conditions or maybe low light but no, they're there to be lit in broad daylight for extra visibility. It seems a good few think the same because in fog I have lost count how many cars you can see coming toward you or when you pass but from the rear there is nothing.
    Auto-lights are also not guaranteed to work in fog, you need to actually pay attention to the job in hand (pardon the expression)

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    And especially dangerous if the dash lights are on with said lights, as then they forget to turn the lights on at all!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    The Aston illuminates the dash even if the lights aren't on at all. Obviously that's never caused me to drive off without turning the lights on when it's dark.....

achaddy is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

On my old Audis I set mine to Auto and it worked very well i believe.

They always came on in low light, in fog and when raining, turned on by the fact the auto windscreen wipers came on. Always know they were on as that is when the dash was illuminated.

But the problem with fog is people who can very quickly turn on their rear fog lights but then never turn them off, so cause retina burn to the driver stuck stuck behind them.

And under the law they may as well have no lights on at all.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
    Restrictions on the use of lamps other than those to which regulation 24 refers
    27. No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

Rear fog lamp
    (a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Almost everything in this thread is a result of EU regs just like hazards that automatically flash when hard braking is detected. It’s your legislators that keep asking for all this stuff because they assume every motorist is an idiot that needs saving from themselves.

Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    It’s your legislators that keep asking for all this stuff because they assume every motorist is an idiot that needs saving from themselves.
    Judging by the standard of driving round my way, they're not far off!

Quote Originally Posted by achaddy View Post
    But the problem with fog is people who can very quickly turn on their rear fog lights but then never turn them off, so cause retina burn to the driver stuck stuck behind them.
    See also: people driving automatics that sit in D with the brakes on at traffic lights, with their LED brake lights at your eye level (because it's an SUV).
    Last edited by redwedge; 27-08-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast