Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paying Italian speeding tickets ?

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Ronald,
    I think you have misread the intent of the replies. (Taking a big liberty and speaking for others!)

Off course we should abide by the laws of other countries as we would expect those visiting ours to abide by ours. I think everybody would agree to that?

That said, speeding tickets are the exception to that along with parking “fines”. If we could find a means of not paying we will, regardless of the country we are in; and in particular in our own country. They are by in large viewed as a cash cow, have about nothing to do with improving road safety to which they are claimed to do and thus are viewed with disdain.

Hence the conversation on this thread.

I’m sure others will roast me as well if I’m speaking out of turn; one of the “benefits” of the great people on this site
    Adrian,

Thanks for your rapid reply. With due respect, I do not think that I misread the intent of the replies. I can assure you that the latest speed restriction on "B" roads here has not been met with pleasure. My point is very, very simple and I have lived outside the UK for many years. We pay for our pleasures and we should respect the laws of the countries that allow us to use their roads, their parking places, their speeding limits.......I am no saint, I can assure you. When I think I can get away with it, I break the law. So, to get back to the initial post, if you receive a fine for speeding and you agree that you were speeding, you should pay the fine - if it's in another part of Europe/World what's the difference? The difference is simply cheating.

All the best,
    Ron

Ron

Name
    steve

Tell'em to stick their fine where the sun don't shine ROLL ON BREXIT http://www.driverabroad.com/self-dri...parking-fines/

Name
    Mark Wibberley

As I'm being pilloried as feeling that somehow I am above the laws of whichever land I'm in, I have to agree that speeding or parking fines are a challenge that one pits ones wits against to avoid.

As the Italians deign to indicate what the limits are, and I was doing only a reasonable speed that I thought was appropriate to the road and perfect conditions (hired Renault Captur, 4 up plus luggage) and the fine is steep (£150) I'm obvious going to try to avoid it.

Had it been £60 then not an issue, but its rather steep. I don't know if I was speeding as I didn't know what the limits were, wherever it was - I'd put my hands up to it if I was taking the mick and knew it.

Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Ronald,
    I think you have misread the intent of the replies. (Taking a big liberty and speaking for others!)

Off course we should abide by the laws of other countries as we would expect those visiting ours to abide by ours. I think everybody would agree to that?

That said, speeding tickets are the exception to that along with parking “fines”. If we could find a means of not paying we will, regardless of the country we are in; and in particular in our own country. They are by in large viewed as a cash cow, have about nothing to do with improving road safety to which they are claimed to do and thus are viewed with disdain.

Hence the conversation on this thread.

I’m sure others will roast me as well if I’m speaking out of turn; one of the “benefits” of the great people on this site
    I concur. If there is a way I can avoid a speeding or parking invoice/fine (the latter I have had success with) then regardless to country or location I will because I believe in many cases it is purely a form of income for the local authority/government. TBH I'm more concerned with points than I am fine. However I'm not happy about paying anything out I might not have to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123