Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercar and roadtrip or......

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    I must admit - both is tempting. I've mailed my boss and said I want 6 weeks off - am considering a month in Europe and 2 weeks in the Maldives (Kuramathi).
    Kuramathi looks lovely, a little further north than the islands we've been to over the years. Maldives is a country (weather-wise) that's best visited early in the year though to enjoy clearer skies, less breeze and for us at least, great visibility underwater (if you didn't learn to dive over there, why not?!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    An alternative is to do a euro road trip in a cheaper fun car, and just book a ferry crossing and the time off work. Go where you like, dont worry about the car getting dented, stay in any hotel and just dump the car in the street anywhere when you stop over.
    I get what you're saying but what a waste. For me at least, to do the road trip in another car would be a total non-starter. Surely trips like this are the best thing about sports car ownership when day to day driving in modern Britain is so dreadful.
    Last edited by Kyodo; 22-01-2019 at 04:37 PM.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post

I get what you're saying but what a waste. For me at least, to do the road trip in another car would be a total non-starter. Surely trips like this are the best thing about sports car ownership when day to day driving in modern Britain is so dreadful.
    When i say cheaper fun car I was thinking soft top sports car so MX5/Boxster/3 series convertible/etc, not a eurobox.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    When i say cheaper fun car I was thinking soft top sports car so MX5/Boxster/3 series convertible/etc, not a eurobox.
    Guess the Alfa Spider would be ideal actually - but it's not a Ferrari

I've been giving more serious thought to this today. I was tempted to try and include Istanbul, since the g/f was planning to be there towards the end of May but for various reasons I've rejected that idea.
    I'm also thinking that I may start it on the first May bank holiday weekend - starting at Easter is too early and means I probably can't use the mountain passes - which I'd like to on the way back. It would mean I miss the supercar weekend though.

Very tentative route - guessing it's somewhere around 3.5k miles.

Use Eurotunnel in the morning (stay in Folkestone the night before)
    2 nights in Cologne
    2 nights in Rothenburg ob der tauber
    2 nights in Neuschwanstein
    1 night in Salzburg (not somewhere I care about, just splitting the journey - anywhere better?)
    2 nights in Graz
    1 night in Bled
    2 nights in Padova
    1 night in Bologna
    2 nights in San Marino
    2 nights in Montepulciano
    3 nights in Lucca
    2 nights in Turin
    2 nights in Geneva
    1 night in Reims (or somewhere close, it's just to split the trip)

Including the night in Folkestone, this is 27 nights. If I successfully get 6 weeks off work, that means I then have 2 weeks to go somewhere sunny for 2 weeks when I get back - or, I could just find somewhere nice to stay for a couple more weeks in Italy or Southern France.

More than happy for suggestions / comments.

Name
    Russell

Not sure why Brexit is an issue. The only affect I can see is that post 29th March you might need a Green card from your insurer, which will be at no cost. Sounds like a great trip.

Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post
    Not sure why Brexit is an issue.
    + 1

Fussen near Neuschwanstein is a good base - Hotel Alpenblick fairly basic but views over lake & has underground parking (or was ten years ago)

300 mile day direct to Graz ?

Another option is Spain lots of great roads and most Paradors have parking
    Last edited by jos; 23-01-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    + 1

Fussen near Neuschwanstein is a good base - Hotel Alpenblick fairly basic but views over lake & has underground parking

300 mile day direct to Graz ?

Another option is Spain lots of great roads and most Paradors have parking
    Thanks, I'll look it up.

The direct trip to Graz might be the best option - Graz is only on the list because a friend lives there, and so far I've not found much else that tempts me near there.

Just been recommended Cinque Terre when I'm in Italy, which looks lovely - although not really suitable by car so probably stay in Levanto and visit from there. And for the sunny break, Amalfi Coast is tempting me - including a visit to Pompeii. Maybe a week on the Amalfi, and a week somewhere else for chilling in the sun.

(I do want to do Spain one day, but think this trip would be mostly Italy again).

Name
    Dave

This is the route I've come up with so far. Most places I'm staying 2 nights, but probably ~6 nights at Amalfi Coast and ~4 nights at Como.

I have about 5 or 6 nights spare that I'd like to spend in one place (relaxing in the sunshine) - any suggestions for somewhere roughly on this route?

Name:  Holiday route.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  81.4 KB

Name
    jos

The direct route South (SP1 ?) into Amalfi is not very car friendly - check it out on Streetview or similar before committing

End of May can still have variable weather further North so RnR maybe relatively further South - around San Marino could be cost-effective (also MotoGP @ Mugello June 2 !)
    Last edited by jos; 24-01-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Personally I'd avoid Geneva and stay in one of the lower level alpine villages in the area or even Annecy on the NE side of the lake.. Also have you thought of running through into Croatia? I've often fancied it and Pula is only just over the border but I've heard mixed reviews of Croatia in general. The coast look fabulous, but away from the tourist areas it's apparently still a bit eastern bloc.
    I've no experience of Austria other than ski resorts but want to spend quite a bit of time there in the Summer in the near future... Although May will still have some snow at higher level.

I loved Venice but are you on your own? It's definitely a couples place.....

I'd spend a bit of time on picking nice drives and join those together with hotels.... When I took mine over we did too much motorway, mainly because of the distances we had to cover.

Name
    Dave

Having checked, I think Jos might be right about Amalfi - since that was one of my relaxing breaks, I guess I need to find somewhere else to spend those 6 nights. I would like to see Pompeii though.

I've been to Venice - and thought it was an overrated dump to be honest. But assuming the g/f comes with me, she is keen to go there - there is no way on earth I'm leaving my car parked somewhere for several days to stay in Venice - but I am prepared to stay on the mainland and go into Venice proper each day for a couple of days.

Austria is only really to visit a friend - been to Vienna (but not in a car) - maybe I should look for a few more nights somewhere else there.

I did consider Croatia - g/f mentioned it - but not sure if I want to add the mileage when I am keen to spend a lot of it in Italy. But I will look into it a bit further.

Current route is ~3,500 miles which is quite a lot already!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast