Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justa little too close!!!

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Default Justa little too close!!!

Instead of going on a rally for charity today I stayed in bed, foul weather and been too busy lately I was a bit tired. So felt the need to run the car up to temperature, make sure all is ok.

I had the engine compartment open in anticipation of checking the oil once up to temperature. Started her up no problems, but immediately a very strong smell of fuel. Quick look in the engine compartment and the right hand bank was covered, pissing out towards the exhaust manifold! Quickly switched off, else we were going to have a big bonfire very quickly.

On closer inspection, the fuel line was frayed. Its routing made it rub against the earth bonding points on the rocker cover. Where the non crown nut is is where the pipe holder was (pic below); and you can see similar on the other side.

Also looking at the fuel line when I took if of, its partially blocked...poor quality fuel line!!

I'll get two new ones made up tomorrow at my local motorsport shop at Castle Coombe and fit them. I initially though about ordering from one of the usual places, but these look suspiciously like the image from one of them!

So a bonfire averted, and hopefully the engine will run better with clear fuel lines! (And there was me thinking this forum was a bit quiet recently!)

Good job I didn't go to the charity rally, I would have likely been an instant youtube start as I burn my way down the M4; literally!!!

Left hand bank, and you can see the fuel pipe mount and the proximity of the earth bonding. (actually, you can see a little fraying on this one in the pic.)
    Name:  Engine 4.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  111.0 KB

Partially blocked fuel line, what you can see is actually part of the rubber in the fuel line folded over itself and restricting the dia. by about 70%.
    Name:  Engine 3.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  64.3 KB

Frayed fuel line
    Name:  Engine 2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  52.9 KB

Right hand engine bank (upside down sorry) Some good paint stripping going on! These are being redone properly in Feb anyway.
    Name:  Engine 1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  86.8 KB
    Last edited by A348W; 29-09-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Worrying but good save

Are those OEM lines? I got my car fitted with uprated fuel lines a while back. They're metallic on the outside so can't suffer like those have. Not sure where the indie I used got them from but I could probably find out if you'd like?

Rubbish blurry photo but could probably get a better one if you like:

Name:  fuel.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  59.9 KB
    Last edited by Nosevi; 29-09-2019 at 05:39 PM.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Wow lucky indeed Adrian 👍

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Worrying but good save

Are those OEM lines? I got my car fitted with uprated fuel lines a while back. They're metallic on the outside so can't suffer like those have. Not sure where the indie I used got them from but I could probably find out if you'd like?

Rubbish blurry photo but could probably get a better one if you like:
    No their not OEM:
    - as the routing is not correct; it has a 90 elbow of the injection rail, and should be a 180 swept;
    - ends on the OEMs are crimped;
    - and the OEM are S/S braid.

Easy option would be to get OEM ones, but they are silly money at 360 RH and 300 LH, ex VAT. Why one side is more than the other I have no idea as they look identical in all aspects to me.

I'll pop to Pirtek today and get them to make me up some in s/s braid, with a 180 swept crimped end on the fuel rail end, and I'll probably just go for adjustable on the fuel filter end as I wont be able to get the relative angles between the two fittings correct enough without a few trips back and forth.

I'll put up some pictures when I get them.

Name
    GQ

Weren't these a factory recall issue?

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Weren't these a factory recall issue?
    On the 355 yes - fuel line could rub on the big hose clamp securing a water hose (after an engine out job, the tendency was to leave the knurled part of the hose clamp too close to the fuel line). After many fires and probably due to the more reactionary Americans, they finally did a factory recall 5,6 or so years back. Might be wrong, but I have never read of a recall for the 348.

Name
    Jeff

Nick (pangea) posted some info about 348 recall on Fchat - dont know whether he posted it on here too...??

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...ooklet.516376/

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    No their not OEM:
    - as the routing is not correct; it has a 90 elbow of the injection rail, and should be a 180 swept;
    - ends on the OEMs are crimped;
    - and the OEM are S/S braid.

Easy option would be to get OEM ones, but they are silly money at 360 RH and 300 LH, ex VAT. Why one side is more than the other I have no idea as they look identical in all aspects to me.

I'll pop to Pirtek today and get them to make me up some in s/s braid, with a 180 swept crimped end on the fuel rail end, and I'll probably just go for adjustable on the fuel filter end as I wont be able to get the relative angles between the two fittings correct enough without a few trips back and forth.

I'll put up some pictures when I get them.

Name
    Carl

Emblem had a set of 4 fuel lines made up for mine costing about 200. They're stainless steel braid oem spec. Pirtek would be my 1st port of call as they should do them. Otherwise call Emblem. Friendly bunch at Emblem, and may be able to obtain some for you if you struggle at Pirtek.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    A 348 is like Marmite, you love it or hate it. Boy do I love it!

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Wow, close call

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast