Thread: LHD 308s

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Default LHD 308s

ok bit out on a limb here.....but with spending more time abroad, either in SoF or Spain ...I'm tempted with a lhd 308. great looking cars, always wanted one....and i'm worried about blind spots in a rhd abroad....or am I being nuts.

this caught my eye.....I know its an "i" Ö.so the lower powered ...but who cares.

worth the money or over priced ?

https://www.atelierpetworth.com/coll...rari-308-gtsi/

just a thought

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Looks like a nice little car to me

Regarding the LHD/RHR thing, I'd always get the one which matches the vast majority of my driving. If you're on your own, behind a truck (or even another car you're so low down in a 308/328/348 etc) and you want to overtake, you have to put the passenger side of the car right over into the oncoming lane to be able to see if something's coming. That's simply down to the fact that you can't see round corners. I'm not saying you can't drive LHD here and RHD over there, merely that it's not ideal. If you're looking at doing most of your driving on the continent I'd definitely look at LHD which also happens to be cheaper.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 03-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Name
    Paul

Fine looking car. I am so amazed at the price difference between the GTSI and the GTB (2.5x the price)... is it really that much better??

As far as LHD vs RHD - I do own one of each and driving the LHD in the UK doesnít bother me a bit. I agree w Novesi about very specific situations being less ideal, but they arenít as frequent as you think. If you enjoy driving your RHD on european roads, same will happen with your LHD in the UK.
    I would venture as far as saying driving a LHD 308 in the UK will heighten the sense of occasion making that classic feel even more classic!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    As far as LHD vs RHD - I do own one of each and driving the LHD in the UK doesnít bother me a bit. I agree w Novesi about very specific situations being less ideal, but they arenít as frequent as you think. If you enjoy driving your RHD on european roads, same will happen with your LHD in the UK.
    I think it perhaps partly depends where you are. Where I am in Lincolnshire with long straight but often quite narrow roads you sometimes canít wait for a slight righthand kink in the road to be able to see in a LHD car and depending on the time of year thereís lots of farm vehicles. Because thereís generally so little other traffic, in a RHD car itís no problem, you just nip round them, but in a LHD it really would be a right pain. Iíve driven in several places on the continent where the opposite is the case. As I say, in no way saying you canít drive LDH here and RHD there, just that if you know youíll do the majority of your driving either here or there it makes sense the match the car to that

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

That's a nice looking 308!

Many years ago my uncle did something similar, LHD for Europe travels and RHD for UK. From a driving experience it makes a lot of sense, and at those prices makes sense with the wallet as well!

When I was 4ish my parents use to drive around in a lhd TR4 as the daily car I'm guessing much easier back then due to less traffic/speed etc. But I don't recall my parents having any issues. That said it was a few years ago and the only thing I do remember is going out with me and the dog on the parcel shelf! Cant do that either these days

As to market value for that particular car, I couldn't comment. There was a guy on FChat recently who had imported three 308s of various guises to the UK to try and max his return...I don't think its working out that well for him for the obvious reasons! (Have a rummage in the UK section for the thread and links to the adds.) But from memory, not as nice as the one you have found, lovely colour combo!

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    As far as LHD vs RHD - I do own one of each and driving the LHD in the UK doesnít bother me a bit. I agree w Novesi about very specific situations being less ideal, but they arenít as frequent as you think. If you enjoy driving your RHD on european roads, same will happen with your LHD in the UK...
    I'd agree here. We've driven our Boxster, TT and the 360 (all RHD) around Europe and never have any problems, except for overtaking. I find even in a fast car you need to play it very safe. That said, it's all traffic dependent. I wouldn't hesitate to own a LHD Ferrari if you plan to use it even 30% of the time abroad. Here in the UK you tend to either have an open road or more likely, especially anywhere in the south, be sat in a line of cars so LHD/RHD probably isn't too much of an issue here either!

Name
    Mark

thanksÖ.its quite interesting as I always have wanted a 308 over my last 328......I prefer the switches in the older car.

..and what with me spending more time away, and thinking of the roads around Marbella - just couldn't see my 718 Ö.or even a rhd 458 with all those blind spots coming on and off the local by passes...ÖÖ..and the SoF is not a long trip either....and a lhd seems good value here.

I've asked for info so lets see what they come back with

mind you....knowing me I'll prob buy a 458 now

Name
    GQ

I actually enjoy driving a LHD car over here, and its never been an issue with regards road use, unless coming to a toll booth without a passenger!

That's a nice looking car for the money. I'm about to put my fully restored one up for sale to make room if you fancy chatting?

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    I actually enjoy driving a LHD car over here, and its never been an issue with regards road use, unless coming to a toll booth without a passenger!

That's a nice looking car for the money. I'm about to put my fully restored one up for sale to make room if you fancy chatting?
    actually that car is a US spec converted to Euro.....which makes it worth even less in my mind.

might go and see it though.

re yours ping me across the details and lets have a look

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post

Post the link on here when youíve listed it.