Thread: simulator

Name
    birdseye

Default simulator

had a play yesterday on a friends son's Xbox running Forza so "driving" a 430 scud and an F1 car round yas and nurburgring. graphics was pretty good and I gather the really modern ones are even better. The wheel, pedals and steering were a bit clunky.

Nevertheless, its something that appeals. So can you recommend a good set up? I would want a proper steering wheel and pedal set up rather than buttons etc.

Budget? Hopefully less than 1k but at the same time, something better than a kids toy.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

If you're not talking a full simulator but a PC sim then iRacing is about as realistic as they get in terms of how the cars handle - some racing schools in the US use it to train drivers. Haven't played it for a while but it's good fun. You do have to pay a subscription though. If you don't want to pay monthly Project Cars 2 (can get it on Steam download) is quite good. Maybe not as 'hard core' as iRacing but still pretty realistic. Wheel and pedals wise you can do worse than something like a Logitech G29. There are other options but I think the force feedback on the Logitech feels the most realistic.

Pangea is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    If you're not talking a full simulator but a PC sim then iRacing is about as realistic as they get in terms of how the cars handle - some racing schools in the US use it to train drivers. Haven't played it for a while but it's good fun. You do have to pay a subscription though. If you don't want to pay monthly Project Cars 2 (can get it on Steam download) is quite good. Maybe not as 'hard core' as iRacing but still pretty realistic. Wheel and pedals wise you can do worse than something like a Logitech G29. There are other options but I think the force feedback on the Logitech feels the most realistic.
    I have a PS4 running Grand Turismo Sport with Logitech G29 wheel and pedals. I have the stand for the wheel and pedals too. Recommend that. I have a Smart car seat I can rig up too. Cost nothing. All in all its pretty good for the money. I pay the subscription so you can race online with the general pubic. Thats more interesting. Cost about 500 all in brand new couple of years ago with Xmas deals.. Don't play it much now but its popular with visitors.
    The gearstick I had with it is pretty rubbish so I stuck with the paddles for manual gear change..