Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOT extentions

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default MOT extentions

Just in passing checked my Ferrari's MOT date. It was due to expire on 2nd April but with everything happening I didn't bother to get it done at the end of March. Date has been bumped forwards and is now due on 2nd October. I'd heard about MOT extensions but hadn't really paid any attention as it didn't effect my dailies and the Ferrari is currently SORN. One less thing to worry about and when restrictions are lifted, I guess I can Tax and put the Ferrari straight back on the road.

Anyone else?

KenC is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Ken

My understanding is that this will apply to nearly all cars over 12 months. To 29th March 2021. The only cars that may be caught out are those that had an MOT expiry after 30th March but had it done in the month before which means their date will be after 29th March 2021.

But I could be wrong............

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I had 3 vehicles MOT'd in March. The latest was due 4th April which is now 4/4/21.....

The guy at the MOT station said something similar happened in Ireland recently due to an issue with the vehicle lifts. I thought I must have misheard him but....

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-38902890.html

He said the really big issue for them was clearing the backlog. Imagine what it will be like here getting an MOT with several million additional vehicles all wanting the same. So.… book early to avoid disappointment!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post

He said the really big issue for them was clearing the backlog. Imagine what it will be like here getting an MOT with several million additional vehicles all wanting the same. So. book early to avoid disappointment!
    Sounds like a plan, although I have a good relationship with my local test centre so doubt it'll be an issue. Last couple of MOTs I've had done early on a Saturday morning so we can chat and have a good look over the car while she's up on the lift. Owner drives a 911 of a similar vintage so always a bit of banter to be had.

KenC is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Ken

Why would there be a backlog if almost all cars are extended? This would just push all dates back 6 months in perpetuity. The Ireland example may have only applied to a small proportion of cars meaning they would be fighting for slots with those that had not been extended and would be repeated annually. All the more reason for the extension to apply for a full year.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    Why would there be a backlog if almost all cars are extended? This would just push all dates back 6 months in perpetuity. The Ireland example may have only applied to a small proportion of cars meaning they would be fighting for slots with those that had not been extended and would be repeated annually. All the more reason for the extension to apply for a full year.
    My understanding (which I admit is limited) was that it isn't for all cars, only cars which were due for renewal once getting it done was difficult due to restrictions or garage closures. My Ferrari was due for renewal today but that's been put back 6 months. My daily was due for renewal on 17th Jan 2021 and is still due for renewal on 17th Jan 2021.

Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Sounds like a plan, although I have a good relationship with my local test centre so doubt it'll be an issue. Last couple of MOTs I've had done early on a Saturday morning so we can chat and have a good look over the car while she's up on the lift. Owner drives a 911 of a similar vintage so always a bit of banter to be had.
    Had to use a new garage for my daily drive. I use to sit in the car and do the signals/ wheel etc.for my last MOT guy. This time, I went to have a look underneath whilst he was doing the MOT and was very politely told I could not speak to him whilst the MOT was being done and please wait outside. Apparently MOT inspectors come around, sit outside and watch and give them grief for such stuff as apparently I could be "interfering". The garage had had this happen to them! Sad state of affairs!

Hopefully the MOT inspector jobs worths are now doing something a little bit more important; at least one would hope so

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Had to use a new garage for my daily drive. I use to sit in the car and do the signals/ wheel etc.for my last MOT guy. This time, I went to have a look underneath whilst he was doing the MOT and was very politely told I could not speak to him whilst the MOT was being done and please wait outside. Apparently MOT inspectors come around, sit outside and watch and give them grief for such stuff as apparently I could be "interfering". The garage had had this happen to them! Sad state of affairs!

Hopefully the MOT inspector jobs worths are now doing something a little bit more important; at least one would hope so
    Think we'll be ok out here. DVLA inspectors are highly unlikely to bother coming out this way unless they're trying to catch the 50% of the population driving around with red diesel in their tank.

To give you a flavour of a rural Lincolnshire garage, here's one near me. It is open, I promise. Only thing missing is the guy rocking on the porch with a shotgun and playing a banjo. Perhaps it was his lunch break....

Name:  gar.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  61.7 KB

Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    My daily was due for renewal on 17th Jan 2021 and is still due for renewal on 17th Jan 2021.

They are updating the system on a rolling basis in batches of 1 week so all dates will show as normal until then

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    They are updating the system on a rolling basis in batches of 1 week so all dates will show as normal until then
    Ok, that makes sense

I did notice the 'small print' at the bottom stating it's your responsibility to ensure your vehicle is in a safe condition for the road, if it's not you can get a hefty fine and points etc. Fine for many of us but not sure how that works for people with zero mechanical knowhow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast