Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving a Ferrari just now... (COVID-19)

Name
    Andy

Default Driving a Ferrari just now... (COVID-19)

... I hate not to drive my 458, because I know it's bad for the car to just sit, but it's obviously not "essential" for it to be used at the moment. Is this how everybody here is treating it too? The dark side of my brain is saying "how can me going out for a half hour drive on my own be a problem?". The sensible me is saying "it would be a problem if you broke down or had an accident".

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I wouldn't dream of taking mine out for a quick drive...reasons are obvious.

Whilst tempted to use it for some essential runs (taking the weekly groceries to the in-laws) I just don't see it as appropriate at the moment give how bad some people are suffering.

It is tucked up in the garage until this is all over, but gets run up to temperature every other week. Several 3-4 hours routes planned on my TomTom ready to go when we get let out (I find it therapeutic exercise to do some route planning in the evening whilst getting to the dregs of Netflix/Amazon/Disney etc!)

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

I've sorned both of mine much as I'd like ot be driving them on the empty roads, as Adrian say's just doesn't seem right

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I havenít SORNíd mine yet but as above itís not right to use it even for essential trips unless it was the only car available.
    The NHS are busy enough and the reduction in RTAís will free up all the emergency staff across the forces for more important things.

Protect the NHS is exactly what is says. It not about saving capacity.
    Unlike us they canít hide away from C19 they have to walk towards it.

Name
    Andy

Yep thanks guys, makes perfect sense of course. I'm glad we're all being sensible! One small point I don't really agree with - "running it up to temperature every couple of weeks" by letting the car idle in the garage. This can do more harm than good in my opinion (condensation, because you'll never really get it thoroughly warmed up), and in any case obviously doesn't help the seals and lubricants etc in the gearbox, transmission, suspension and brakes.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIn2Red View Post
    Yep thanks guys, makes perfect sense of course. I'm glad we're all being sensible! One small point I don't really agree with - "running it up to temperature every couple of weeks" by letting the car idle in the garage. This can do more harm than good in my opinion (condensation, because you'll never really get it thoroughly warmed up), and in any case obviously doesn't help the seals and lubricants etc in the gearbox, transmission, suspension and brakes.
    I agree.....I never even start mine unless Iím going to drive it for at least 30 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    I wouldn't dream of taking mine out for a quick drive...reasons are obvious.

Whilst tempted to use it for some essential runs (taking the weekly groceries to the in-laws) I just don't see it as appropriate at the moment give how bad some people are suffering.

It is tucked up in the garage until this is all over, but gets run up to temperature every other week. Several 3-4 hours routes planned on my TomTom ready to go when we get let out (I find it therapeutic exercise to do some route planning in the evening whilst getting to the dregs of Netflix/Amazon/Disney etc!)
    Almost exactly my way of looking at it.

Regarding running up to temp, I've heard both sides of this argument over the years - run up to temp, don't run up to temp? Best advice I've heard is from a couple of Ferrari techs I trust well - do it, not too often perhaps just once every month or even less, and make sure you do it for a long time so the heat builds up rather than so things only just get warm. If possible turn the gearbox over a bit (if you have a long drive / private road handy) and use the brakes etc. At the end of the day pretty much every single fairly posh storage place in the world does it with cars in long term storage as part of an 'active storage' plan and all those cars don't break as a consequence (really posh places use a rolling road but not that many do). In fact it's done to prevent the need for a complete recommission of cars coming out of long term storage.

Regarding storing our cars during this time generally - I 'store' mine every winter and it's yet to cause a snag. A mate stored his 348 for almost 3 years due to unforeseen circumstances and it fired on the key first time (I saw the video of him doing it) and had no issues at all either during or after a service. They'll be fine being off the road for a while, really not worth worrying about.

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Almost exactly my way of looking at it.

Regarding running up to temp, I've heard both sides of this argument over the years - run up to temp, don't run up to temp? Best advice I've heard is from a couple of Ferrari techs I trust well - do it, not too often perhaps just once every month or even less, and make sure you do it for a long time so the heat builds up rather than so things only just get warm. If possible turn the gearbox over a bit (if you have a long drive / private road handy) and use the brakes etc. At the end of the day pretty much every single fairly posh storage place in the world does it with cars in long term storage as part of an 'active storage' plan and all those cars don't break as a consequence (really posh places use a rolling road but not that many do). In fact it's done to prevent the need for a complete recommission of cars coming out of long term storage.

Regarding storing our cars during this time generally - I 'store' mine every winter and it's yet to cause a snag. A mate stored his 348 for almost 3 years due to unforeseen circumstances and it fired on the key first time (I saw the video of him doing it) and had no issues at all either during or after a service. They'll be fine being off the road for a while, really not worth worrying about.
    Undoubtedly two sides to it, probably a hang up from carb car days in Canada and the long winters we had! Regardless of the rights and wrongs...I like the sound! Call it mental therapy

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Undoubtedly two sides to it, probably a hang up from carb car days in Canada and the long winters we had! Regardless of the rights and wrongs...I like the sound! Call it mental therapy

Name
    Dave McGuire

My 360 is now on a SORN just did not think was worth taxing it when I have 2 other cars available I did have it out to go shopping before the tax ran out last week but in reality I guessed it would be off the road for a while also I am at the 'at risk' category so best just staying at home anyway.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast