Thread: Rust repair in wheel wells

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Default Rust repair in wheel wells

I've got some rust in the front wheel wells.

What's the best way to deal with it and what paint to use?

Thanks

WillW is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430
    Name

Remove ALL rust to clean and bare metal, then either etching primer or epoxy primer/filler (I would use latter one, you can get from me free as I have plenty ) and then painted normally (you'll need clearcoat as well as yours is metallic).

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

A couple of pictures of what I used.

Dinitrol RC900 - stops rust. Clean off surface rust as far as possible then treat. (spray) Dries black ready for top coat finish.

Dinitrol Metallic - corrosion prevention. Dries brown but a little tacky, looks the same finish as Ferrari uses out of the factory. See underbody pic.

Dinitrol ML - spray inside cavities for protection and stops existing rust.

Hycote Stone Guard - as the name suggests. I use this in wheel wells and dries suitable for overcoating if required. Dries somewhere between matt and satin.

Hycote Satin Black - use this most places as a general touch up. Use on fittings in the wheel well where stone guard is too thick. Used on the wheel well liners which allows the grain of the plastic to show through looking more original.

Others will have their own favourites but I have used this selection for a while. IMO Dinitrol is an excellent product widely used in the aviation sector.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

WillW is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430
    Name

Sy,
    sorry my bad english so did you ment wheel arches (normal bodycolor) or inner part (painted black)? As my reply was for wheel arches.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Thanks Terry.

Your car is looking awesome.

Did you powder coat the springs as well?

Quote Originally Posted by WillW
    Sy,
    sorry my bad english so did you ment wheel arches (normal bodycolor) or inner part (painted black)? As my reply was for wheel arches.
    It's the inner part. When I took the front wheels off I noticed bits of rust where the paint had flaked off. Just like the pic below.

I might put it up on axle stands and do all 4 corners next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    A couple of pictures of what I used.

Dinitrol RC900 - stops rust. Clean off surface rust as far as possible then treat. (spray) Dries black ready for top coat finish.

Dinitrol Metallic - corrosion prevention. Dries brown but a little tacky, looks the same finish as Ferrari uses out of the factory. See underbody pic.

Dinitrol ML - spray inside cavities for protection and stops existing rust.

Hycote Stone Guard - as the name suggests. I use this in wheel wells and dries suitable for overcoating if required. Dries somewhere between matt and satin.

Hycote Satin Black - use this most places as a general touch up. Use on fittings in the wheel well where stone guard is too thick. Used on the wheel well liners which allows the grain of the plastic to show through looking more original.

Others will have their own favourites but I have used this selection for a while. IMO Dinitrol is an excellent product widely used in the aviation sector.
    Car is looking great Terry,got a finish date yet?

Dinotrol is very good and always gets good reviews when tested in the motoring mags.
    Last edited by Fraccie; 28-08-2006 at 11:39 AM.
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

Thanks guys for the kind comments.

I didn't powder coat the springs, just cleaned them up (not a quick job and lots of WD40) and sprayed the lower loop with RC900 then satin black (double acrylic).

I used RC900 on those rusty bits in the picture after a wire bush in a hand drill to clean as much of the surface as possible. Then coated with satin black and finally stone guard.

Not got a finish date yet Ade but I expect I will keep busy during the winter, but looking forward to next spring.

Name
    Philip

Believe me guys when I say that it looks better in the flesh, terry has given it that just out of the box look.