What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Adrian's 355 musings

Well, a day to remember yesterday, for all the wrong reasons, RIP Elizabeth the Great!

The day was spent at Carrs in Exeter having the 355 serviced; in short all was good, passed its MOT with no advisories and got lots of positive comments from the mechanic on the condition of the car. Only thing that didn't get done which I asked for was the fuel filter, and I suspect they forgot to order one in, but no big deal as its not due.

Only thing to address was the high level brake light didn't work; so on the job list for this winter.

As background DL quoted £1300 and Carrs £829 and they checked the alignment, not included by DL! Its 1.5hr drive to Carrs, but I plonked myself in the lounge and in between chatting with the sales guys etc did a bit of work. They were also kind enough to offer up an office if I wanted some privacy. Worse places to spend the day working!

Yes its expensive for an oil & filter and brake fluid change; the later needed as I cooked it at Brands last weekend...oops! But there is some comfort in somebody else going through the car top to bottom not to mention the benefit if I ever sell it! Does that add value or just make it easier to sell; probably more the latter in my view. Plus I'm just not interested in scrabbling around on the garage floor under axle stands when considering the other points! A lift will be a different story and maybe in the next garage!

So that was just over 4.5k done in the last year; bringing the mileage up to 21k. Here is to next years drives and she will be going back for the engine out, which fingers crossed wont be too painful!

Yesterday was probably last drive out for the year. Great run to Podium, with a 360, 430 manual, 2*458s, lusso, 812gts and a Caterham!

F263EA21-18DA-4F4B-9B73-C8EAF66D540C.jpeg

Job list for the winter is fairly minor:
- fix the high level brake light. Sorted that today; fortunately just a loose connection!
- new front brake pads. currently has brembo and whilst loads on them, they are really not doing it for me, so either ferodo or pagid are going in; (if i dont like those, big brake conversion might be next)
- when replacing a front fog light bulb I noticed one air horn had come loose; bolt has come undone;
- clock light isn't working;
- clean and detail the suspension.

Then just get ready for some more continental trips next year. Loire and Swiss alps booked and we cant wait to get back across the channel!

Bit quiet on here recently! What’s everybody up too?

Bit of suspension and underside cleaning here; and new brake pads as I dint like whats in there at the moment; and the Swiss Alps becon next year; so they better work better than they did around Brands Hatch earlier this year!!!

CA2481CC-D5AF-408C-A66A-6C7C4B615F19.jpg

B75B01FA-B1D1-4318-A1E8-B45A99859D36.jpeg

Looking good :)

I have the regular Ferodo which work just fine so interesting to see what you make of the DS version.

Last edited:
Bit quiet on here recently! What’s everybody up too?

Bit of suspension and underside cleaning here; and new brake pads as I dint like whats in there at the moment; and the Swiss Alps becon next year; so they better work better than they did around Brands Hatch earlier this year!!!

Looking good Adrian :thumbsup:

Regarding what I'm up to car wise - not a lot. She's off the road for the winter now and although I'll probably find something to fiddle with there's nothing that really needs doing.

One thing I did do last week was drain the fuel tank and put in about 1/4 tank of fresh fuel with fuel stabiliser in. I normally run it low at the end of the summer then fill it up, add fuel stabiliser and leave it for the winter (running fully up to temp periodically) but this year the roads around me got very muddy before I ran the tank low. I'll probably leave it in there for half the winter then I might take it out again, chuck that petrol in another car and add fresh to the Ferrari again. A mate who's a mechanic has an electric fuel transfer pump, takes a few minutes to empty the tank from the filler into jerry cans. Did find out during the emptying that my fuel gage is actually pretty accurate and the fuel low warning light works which was nice to know.

ideally you want to either have a full tank or empty tank; anything in between will attract condensation. whilst you are draining it through the winter and get rid of the condensation thats run into the fuel; whats on the tank sides will remain. you shouldnt be too bad though as yours does not sit in a damp environment; but id still either press it full or leave it empty.

Regarding the Alps trip

If your brakes wilted on tack they will do if you drive hard on the Alps.

Be careful as the brake usage is much more severe than a typical track day (imagine even bend is a hairpin)

Given your DIY ability why not make some challenge style brake air ducts to feed more cool air to the discs.... The challenge cars had this upgrade to double the air feed to the brakes

Last edited:
ideally you want to either have a full tank or empty tank; anything in between will attract condensation. whilst you are draining it through the winter and get rid of the condensation thats run into the fuel; whats on the tank sides will remain. you shouldnt be too bad though as yours does not sit in a damp environment; but id still either press it full or leave it empty.

I know that's the theory but it's in a heated and dry environment and the fact it's heated makes a big difference.

Condensation in fuel tanks (and other places) obviously comes from a combo of dampness in the air and cold surfaces, take both of those out of the equation and you massively cut down the amount of water that will find its way into the fuel. Granted there will be a very small amount which is why I'm considering draining it again during the winter, but there will be significantly less than any car that's not in a heated and dried environment even if that car's tanks are almost full. Using fuel stabiliser is really just a 'belt and braces' approach, I probably don't need to.

Generally speaking with storing my car I follow what these guys suggest, they say it's fine to do what I'm doing for cars in long term storage (as long as they're in the right environment) so I figure if it's good enough for them it's good enough for my old motor :)

https://www.windrushcarstorage.co.uk/blog/fuel-tips-for-car-storage.php

I've got DS2500 pads on my Mini JCW semi-track car, and they're the best I've tried over the years. Good bite from cold, no squealing and keep working even with track abuse

That approach might be ok in a heated dry environment; and undoubtedly fine for a private individual, but it is not good practise and anybody selling it as part of their commercial service I would question there competence.

I've got DS2500 pads on my Mini JCW semi-track car, and they're the best I've tried over the years. Good bite from cold, no squealing and keep working even with track abuse

thats great to hear! im not sure what happened to the old pads; they were fine last year and on track days etc. this year they have just been rubbish with no bite to them!!!

whilst doing some modifications is tempting, id like to keep the car “oem” standard as im thinking of trying a late model 430 next. (ceramic brakes being one reason). if i change my mind and keep it longer term; ill probably look to get/ make elements of the challenge brake system.

still lots of fun to be had yet though!

I agree with your comments about the awesome DS2500 as Ive perviously used them with an AP calliper /disc set up but they are not approved for road use. I played it safe and used the DS performance option front and rear on the 348 as only used on the road which has worked out well. No complaints apart from a bit dusty maybe. Insurance safe though...:wink3:

That approach might be ok in a heated dry environment; and undoubtedly fine for a private individual, but it is not good practise and anybody selling it as part of their commercial service I would question there competence.

We’ll agree to differ but I think the atmosphere and temperature are far more of a factor as to how much water gets into the fuel than how much fuel is in the tank. At the end of the day my car doesn’t ‘know’ it’s winter - she’s dry and snug :) and I wouldn’t worry about keeping the tank full in the summer so why worry now? Take your point re a big commercial setup if they don’t keep the ambient temperature above the level where it’s effectively impossible to get condensation though.

A mate of mine who lived in Dubai, owned a 2002 Lotus Esprit with only 3000 miles on the clock. The car had been in Dubai all it's life. He exported it to the UK a few years ago and found out the steel tanks had rotted from the inside and was leaking fuel. It had been stored in a dry garage and obviously a dry climate. It doesn't seem to make much sense but I'm guessing condensation had built up in the tanks and as the car was standing for so long.

My theory is to run the cars all year round and take them around a few corners, so any condensation that builds up on the walls of the tank is wiped off with fuel. It worked for my 35 year old Esprit, it still had the original steel tanks in it.

I should add, I have a heated and sealed garage now and a desiccant dehumidifier running most of the winter (EcoAir DD3 Simple).
So hopefully that helps keep moisture levels down in the garage.

s
A mate of mine who lived in Dubai, owned a 2002 Lotus Esprit with only 3000 miles on the clock. The car had been in Dubai all it's life. He exported it to the UK a few years ago and found out the steel tanks had rotted from the inside and was leaking fuel. It had been stored in a dry garage and obviously a dry climate. It doesn't seem to make much sense but I'm guessing condensation had built up in the tanks and as the car was standing for so long.

My theory is to run the cars all year round and take them around a few corners, so any condensation that builds up on the walls of the tank is wiped off with fuel. It worked for my 35 year old Esprit, it still had the original steel tanks in it.

It does make sense in a way - I can see that happening inland in Dubai where it gets pretty cold at night or on the coast where it's actually pretty humid at some times of the year. I've been to Gulf a few times and in both Oman and Kuwait have seen humidity in the high 90s near the coast. In fact Dubai gets fog several times a year, it's not as dry all year as many people might imagine:

https://theculturetrip.com/middle-e...es/articles/a-guide-to-dubais-fog-phenomenon/

This is all getting a smidge off topic though, I'm 'storing' a car in a climate controlled garage where the humidity can't rise and the temperature can't fall and I'm doing it for about 4 months rather than 20 years. I think she'll be ok :)

I agree with your comments about the awesome DS2500 as Ive perviously used them with an AP calliper /disc set up but they are not approved for road use. I played it safe and used the DS performance option front and rear on the 348 as only used on the road which has worked out well. No complaints apart from a bit dusty maybe. Insurance safe though...:wink3:

I noticed that on the box after I had them fitted :grin: I don't know why though, they work fine from cold

I noticed that on the box after I had them fitted :grin: I don't know why though, they work fine from cold

Yes. Bit of an odd one. It will be compound related but Ive never looked into it. I have fitted sets to other peoples track day and road cars. Never had an issue with performance hot or cold.

Looks like some Ferodo arse covering going on...

Quote....

The manufacturer says not to use the pads on a car when driven on UK roads.

This is because these brake pads have characteristics which are more suited to driving on the track because of repeated use and generating sufficient heat. Outside of this environment, the pads won't perform as intended and likely not in a way that would be considered reasonably sufficient in all situations, or 'safe'... i.e. when Joe Public sets off on a cold morning and arrives at his favourite roundabout at 70mph only to find the first application of his brakes does nothing.

Therefore the manufacturer avoids getting Joe Public's blood on their hands because they warned him the pads were 'for track use only!'

Cleaned the suspension and replaced the calipers on one side; just turned the car around for easy access and as its, slightly warmer, started on the other side.

All going well till I took the pads out of the front and saw some clown had nicked all four dust seals on the front caliper! All the others are fine; so guess they had the trainee on that one!

Fortunately maranello spares have them in stock!

34469780-1A74-4C09-BB33-AEE866DFE9A3.jpg