What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

America's Cup Trials

geoffpfc

100 days until the biggest show in sailing returns to Portsmouth.:thumbsup:
The Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series, the hottest sailing competition in the world, returns to Portsmouth 22-24 July. This edge of your seat and adrenaline fuelled spectacle sees the world’s best sailors racing the fastest boats, reaching speeds of 40mph metres away from the spectators on shore.
This is your last chance to cheer on Sir Ben Ainslie and Land Rover BAR on home waters before next year’s historic America’s Cup in Bermuda. The best place to watch the action is from the ticketed ‘Race Village’ on Southsea seafront offering close-up views of the racing and the benefit of large screens broadcasting the racing action with live racing commentary, on-board footage, audio and amazing graphics. Pre and post racing the main stage will feature expert insight and analysis from the competing teams. Interactive content highlights includes the ‘Tech Zone’, opportunities to meet the sailors in ‘The Team Zone’, ‘The Marketplace’ a covered retail area alongside cool bars and food zones. A great day out!
Tickets start from £25 per person, with 6-15 year olds half price and under-5s going free.:thumbsup:

I'm going ! I went to see them last year when they spent the weekend at Portsmouth. I was actually travelling to Isle of Wight but purposely booked the ferry that was running the same time as these boats set off.

They are epic to a watch.

Watched the New York races at the weekend live on BT sport - they are disappointingly short ! Last two races only lasted about 5 minutes ! I know it's like that to make things more exciting to watch but they're a tight enough fleet to have raced for half hour of so. Ben struggled though and his language .... LoL

Well it's this weekend and the conditions are looking really good.

Some idiots from my sailing club are planning to sail there from Shanklin on the Isle of Wight right round to Portsmouth. This is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do ..... So, I'll be joining them :)

Might take some time !

058786e68ae010a999486842031aeba0.jpg

Some idiots from my sailing club are planning to sail there from Shanklin on the Isle of Wight right round to Portsmouth. This is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do ..... So, I'll be joining them :)

Might take some time !

:laugh: Have fun Andy

I'll try to act surprised.......

Have a blast, Andy. Very jealous. :thumbsup:

Might take some time !

If you're sailing and not motoring then you should have left on Friday morning to get there for Saturday:laugh:

If you're sailing and not motoring then you should have left on Friday morning to get there for Saturday:laugh:

I did !

Fortunately, we go there with the tide and back with the tide, so worse case we drift there & back. However, forecast is F3 gusting F4, so hopefully we should arrive in style ... on the wire & flying a hull [emoji41]

The hardest bit will be stopping and holding still to actually view racing. There'll be a lot of boats out there and all of them a lot bigger. Unfortunately, most of those boats have spent the last 8 months in the marina and will be helmed by ***** with captain's caps and a head full of G&T ....

I did !

Fortunately, we go there with the tide and back with the tide, so worse case we drift there & back. However, forecast is F3 gusting F4, so hopefully we should arrive in style ... on the wire & flying a hull [emoji41]

The hardest bit will be stopping and holding still to actually view racing. There'll be a lot of boats out there and all of them a lot bigger. Unfortunately, most of those boats have spent the last 8 months in the marina and will be helmed by ***** with captain's caps and a head full of G&T ....[/QUOT

:laugh::laugh: have a great time:thumbsup:

Sailing a 15' cat there probably wasn't the smartest idea .....

Wind died completely half way crossing the Solent leaving us ( 4 cats ) basically drifting and paddling across one the busiest stretches of water ... Those cargo ships move extremely quickly and are rather scary close up.

Opposite for trip back, wind around Benbridge and Culver bay was up to F6 with a huge swell - very challenging. Lots of my body parts hurt today :(

It was so busy there and a huge amount of idiots blasting around in motorboats and lots of boats bashing into each other. It was hard to get a decent view but I did get to see them boats pretty close up at one point. Not foiling but still impressive.

Watched replay of BT Sports coverage this morning - Ben raced a couple of excellent tactical races with a fantastic start to race 3

Have to flick between F1 and Americas Cup today as both start at the same time :(