What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Chipex Paint/chip repair

I've used it on stone chips on a couple of my cars and it gives a good result. It is possible to build up the "valley" and therefore eliminate the damage.

Can you post a picture of the damage?

I tried it on my regular car. It looks just as **** as it did before I started. However I'm sure much of it is down to the person who applied it.

One thing I learned from a pro is to warm the paint stick in hot water before using, makes a huge difference. I have bought chipex but tbh it's no different to buying any paint stick and building it up in lots of thin coats

One thing I learned from a pro is to warm the paint stick in hot water before using, makes a huge difference. I have bought chipex but tbh it's no different to buying any paint stick and building it up in lots of thin coats

That's interesting, as it doesn't appear to be a paint stick they're selling. It seems to be a small pot of paint, along with the 'blending' solution etc. I've tried paint sticks in the past and they've been rubbish, frankly. I was hoping this would be a better bet? Seems a good tip to warm it first though, thanks.

That's interesting, as it doesn't appear to be a paint stick they're selling. It seems to be a small pot of paint, along with the 'blending' solution etc. I've tried paint sticks in the past and they've been rubbish, frankly. I was hoping this would be a better bet? Seems a good tip to warm it first though, thanks.

It's a small pot of paint with a separate sponge paint stick, the 'blending solution' is a mild thinners. tbh It's not really any different to a carefully applied paint stick :)

Ok, bought the kit & thought it reasonable value for £27 inc delivery. Really pleased with the result, can't really see it up close, let alone from a few feet back.
Before & after pics (sorry if the quality is rubbish, used the iPhone):

Before:
image.jpg
(Key held up for scale)

After:
image.jpg

Sorry for the photo orientation! Still can't get to grips with rotating iPhone photos!!

Hi,

I posted a link in the opening post here....it was all via there, but manually inputted my colour (rosso 322) instead of putting my car reg details. I bought the smallest of the 3 kit sizes they do. There was also a discount code popped up for free p&p and £2.50 off, meaning I paid £26.50.

I'm pleased with the results & would happily try it on any stone chips I pick up.

Last edited:
That does look good. I know I tried to do too much at once. Mine was more of a rash as I unfortunately witnessed a red light runner and the debris from the car in front that was hit peppered the bonnet of mine. Probably wants a repainted bonnet.

I have bought and used this kit. One thing I liked about it is it is a 1 coat paint mix so no dabbing base colour and then clear on top. Never thought it user friendly when trying to touch in chips.
It's also not too expensive against other paint stick options. My Audi 2 coat touch up kit cost £20 and that's just 2 tubes of paint with a brush big enough to paint the whole car.
As for the results I think it's all about practice. The theory is good and while I haven't quite mastered their method you can always build it up, flat it back slight and polish.
From my experience I find I always seem to wash the paint out of the chip when using the blend in solution.

I agree with you about technique. The first time I tried it I seemed to wash the paint straight out, but figured I hadn't left it long enough. Started over again & left it a bit longer, until the paint was tacky dry, then used the solution. I felt the trick was not to apply any/too much pressure with the solution. It does say in the instructions to let it do the work for you. Once I'd finished that, used the polish they supply in the kit (which appears to be similar to T-cut etc) and it bought it up well. I used my Razeglaze 55 over the top & job done!

I've also since used the kit on a couple of scratches under my bumper after a small conflict with a speed hump. I wasn't too worried about the finish as you can't see it really, even when getting down on the floor and looking, but I'm really pleased with that result too.

And how about the colour match? I bought an aerosol from Halfords and watched carefully as the girl weighed out the various colours to make up the required shade only to fin on use that the shade wasnt a match. It seems that there are several rosso corsas.

And how about the colour match? I bought an aerosol from Halfords and watched carefully as the girl weighed out the various colours to make up the required shade only to fin on use that the shade wasnt a match. It seems that there are several rosso corsas.

I had Rosso Corsa mixed up by Halfords - using the correct code - and it was perfect.

I have chipex for my current car, and it's also an excellent match - but obviously you need to be choosing the right colour in the first place.

You should have a sticker in the luggage space with a paint code on it. More than 1 rosso corsa etc