What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Meguiars MT320 DA

Hi Mike,

I have an MT320 DA and I'm using it at the moment so call round if you want to take a look and/or have a try.

I'm also using the FG400 polish.

I might take you up I that Terry...[emoji106]

Which part of your car would you trust me on? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might take you up I that Terry...[emoji106]

Which part of your car would you trust me on? [emoji6]

You will see how easy it is Mike to use for a reasonable finish, just takes a long time if a nice finish is wanted prior to sealing and waxing.

Afternoon....I've been looking into buying a machine polisher and believe a DA is the best way for amateurs to start...

Two questions...
1. Is the Megs MT320 the one to go for?
2. If yes to 1 does anyone fancy joining me in a Halfords 3 for 2 group buy which will make them £176 each (plus some postage depending on where you live, split 3 ways).
The best I've seen them for is £265 ( which is also what these are but 3 for £530....)
Come with a 5" backing plate, 3 pads, so are brushes but no mention of a bag...

PM me if interested but please be quick as I'm buying one anyway in the next day or three (birthday present ;))

I'm up for taking one if you are still waiting for a third person to jump in.
Got an ancient Megs G220 and have been thinking about buying the new version for a few months and this group buy would be ideal. :thumbsup:

1210tech[emoji768 said:
;806605]I'm up for taking one if you are still waiting for a third person to jump in.
Got an ancient Megs G220 and have been thinking about buying the new version for a few months and this group buy would be ideal. :thumbsup:

Your the 5th! I should have just ordered the bloody things as they'd have gone.

I think Halfords either found their mistake or someone did order 3 (if it's anyone reading this who was tipped off by my thread....do the decent thing and offer me one ;))...as they took them down and when they came back up they are now outside the 3 for 2 offer....
I'm about to order one for myself but not from Halfords [emoji23]

I'll never know if they'd have honoured it. I guess they would as they're big enough to suck it up after a mistake.

I would personally look at the DAS6 Pro (this is what I personally use) or at a push the DAS6 Pro Plus. But to be honest you don't really need the pro plus, or the Meguiars. The thing that I couldn't find is the the 'Throw' or Orbit of the machine. This is important on cars such as Ferraris.
The reason is, A polisher with a large throw is good for doing larger flatter panels, whereas a machine with a smaller throw (IE the DAS6 Pro @ 8mm) are more suited to the smaller curved radius panels of Ferrari body types. The Pro Plus is 15mm and some companies even do a 21mm. The 'selling' point is that you can work faster, but in reality when working in the compound curves, like the rear quarters of the F430 etc then the 8mm throw is fine.

Also you should only need something like an Orange Hexlogic pad and a White Hexlogic pad. I'd go for 5". I also used an 80mm kit on mine to really get in to all of the curves of the panels. There is really no other way with a DA that you'll get in to the dips of the panels.

The DAS range of polishers are cheaper than the Meguiars, and are just as high quality, plus they're around half the price as you can buy them from UK importers, rather than dealing with the UK importer of an American company selling a product from China.

I would personally look at the DAS6 Pro (this is what I personally use) or at a push the DAS6 Pro Plus. But to be honest you don't really need the pro plus, or the Meguiars. The thing that I couldn't find is the the 'Throw' or Orbit of the machine. This is important on cars such as Ferraris.
The reason is, A polisher with a large throw is good for doing larger flatter panels, whereas a machine with a smaller throw (IE the DAS6 Pro @ 8mm) are more suited to the smaller curved radius panels of Ferrari body types. The Pro Plus is 15mm and some companies even do a 21mm. The 'selling' point is that you can work faster, but in reality when working in the compound curves, like the rear quarters of the F430 etc then the 8mm throw is fine.

Also you should only need something like an Orange Hexlogic pad and a White Hexlogic pad. I'd go for 5". I also used an 80mm kit on mine to really get in to all of the curves of the panels. There is really no other way with a DA that you'll get in to the dips of the panels.

The DAS range of polishers are cheaper than the Meguiars, and are just as high quality, plus they're around half the price as you can buy them from UK importers, rather than dealing with the UK importer of an American company selling a product from China.

Daz,

Thanks for the response.

I actually bought the Meguiars kit yesterday and it should arrive tomorrow.

In the end I paid £240 for the DA kit, backing plate, 3 pads, 3 polishes and some microfibres. Like you say a bit expensive.......but better than £300 plus.

M

No probs Mike,
That's not horrendous money in the end. Besides the polishes last you ages, and pads are just one of those things, they're normally about £9 each and you'll normally need a couple of each. Not sure what you've got, but you'll generally need an orange which is a medium cut with a cutting compound, and a white (softer pad) with a polishing compound.
It'll all make sense eventually. I did a quick youtube vid on polishing some scratches out of the rear deck of my 430, this is a quick run through on the procedure if you haven't done it before.
The great thing with a DA polisher is that I believe one of the only ways you can damage the paint is if you turn it around and hit the car with it. You get amazing results, yes it takes time to get it right, but it's really easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL9OUm9FEs4

Have Fun!