What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Salon Prive - Sat

No - the direct opposite kind of event for my version of car enthusiam

I totally respect those people who like these static events and the heroic levels of preservation / detailing involved but they always make me feel sad.

For me if I have time with my cars priorities are: Drive, move, travel, make beautiful noise, create adventures, make discoveries, make friends and share stories along the way.

Would rather put the admission money into the tank and use the time on the road / track with like minded friends.

The thing that always weirds me out about these 'Dog & Pony Show' events however is the sterile stately home settings - Why?

Why not an automotive based location?

No - the direct opposite kind of event for my version of car enthusiam

I totally respect those people who like these static events and the heroic levels of preservation / detailing involved but they always make me feel sad.

For me if I have time with my cars priorities are: Drive, move, travel, make beautiful noise, create adventures, make discoveries, make friends and share stories along the way.

Would rather put the admission money into the tank and use the time on the road / track with like minded friends.

The thing that always weirds me out about these 'Dog & Pony Show' events however is the sterile stately home settings - Why?

Why not an automotive based location?

Had to smile at that! I'm with you on that one. Stately home gives us something else to look at so we can eke out a 1/2 days attendance before getting bored!

(No disrespect to those that like these types of events; all adds to the rich diversity of owners)

Had to smile at that! I'm with you on that one. Stately home gives us something else to look at so we can eke out a 1/2 days attendance before getting bored!

(No disrespect to those that like these types of events; all adds to the rich diversity of owners)

Exactly - I do love the old 'uniform' people wear at these types of events - A day a races for the ladies and the beige chino's, blazer, Panama hat and tie combo for the gents.

Essentials are the wicker picnic hamper (fortnum & mason) blanket and folding chairs.

I went to a recent gathering where an owner brought along his full luggage set 'presumably' full only of air as I asked him if he was going on a big road trip straight from the event. :grin:

He wasn't unfortunately

I went to a recent gathering where an owner brought along his full luggage set 'presumably' full only of air as I asked him if he was going on a big road trip straight from the event. :grin:

He wasn't unfortunately

Good grief, you don't expect people to use the matching luggage set to put things in do you!?!?!?!? :laugh:

FWIW I have mixed feelings about these sort of events. While events I've organised have always involved either moving cars or moving aircraft (in the form of the Scampton families days / air shows some of you came to a few years back) I've been to a few of these more formal static events which I quite enjoyed. Mainly I like seeing some of the older high end cars which you'll get to go to Blenheim (in a covered trailer normally) but rarely entice to a track day.

I do recall one FOC event not so long ago where an admittedly very talented young lady was singing opera as the light entertainment over lunch time and it did make me question whether those making the decisions about such events were truly representative of a broad cross-section of the Ferrari owning public. Might have been the event where some of the more modern track focused cars couldn't get in due to the venue being plagued by vicious speed ramps all the way up the extensive drive. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, think it was an F50 and a couple of non-lift F40s but I was worried about my 348 and she's not as low as some. Still, I didn't volunteer to do it and they did so I can hardly complain at their choice of venue or 'style'.

I think there are events for all tastes, and while I don't weep as Mod does for the injustice of highly capable machinery being viewed more as static art than as dynamic automotive excellence, I've enjoyed going to watch the Pirelli Ferrari Classic with Tim Walker or the Pirelli Ferrari Hill Climb and meeting up with Mark Wibbley far more than any of the concours events I've been to. Just a different angle and a different vibe but isn't it great that we can have and enjoy both?

...agree there is a place for both types of event but I think every event should have at least some driving involved.

Anyway talking of that - who is off to Oulton Park 1/2nd October?