What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

The car that very few people are lucky enough to own ??? 250 GTO ???

dinoman

Hi all, a while ago I started to build my very own 250 GTO as I will never be able to afford the real thing, my spec is to try and keep it bodywise in Aluminium same as original 1962 model wheel base 2400mm and front width 1600mm and rear width 1675mm, and the correct style wheels now that is a different matter ??? where can one get a set of OE wheels as they were made especially for the GTO with the outer deep dish ??? so if anyone knows where I can get set please let me know, as I need those before I can start on the chassis, for the mechanicals I will use the Maserati 4200 Engine Prop shaft torque tube and Transaxle, not sure yet about Chassis ?? so any help advice appreciated, Regards DM

Interesting project and would be great to see pictures of it on here. Good luck with it :thumbsup:

Only advice/comment - don’t badge it as a Ferrari or original GTO. Feel the same about all replicas and ‘recreations’ - very cool as long as they don’t try to make out they are the real deal. As soon as they do, very very uncool........imo :)

The Favre GTO's made in the 1980's were scarily accurate. I spent hours with one and it looked stunning.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nice project especially if you are doing lots of the build yourself. Whilst making a bodyshell is just making a shell and wont upset the handling/drive/etc suspension and chassis design is another thing as mess up and you have either a structurally dangerous car, or something that handles like a real pig. Unless you are trying to get a toolroom copy of the original, using a proven chassis set up will save you a massive load of time and hassle.

I would have a close look at kit cars (Cobras etc) to see if you can find something thats close to your wheelbase and track, and then use that as a basis.

Another alternative is to use your Maserati base vehicle and "modify" it. This will help get round the current construction regulations that are in force for kit cars. I know its taking the piss but as long as you use the same engine and weld the chassis number onto your new chassis its kind of still the original car. :laugh:

Most important thing is we must have pics as we dont get many threads where people get the spanners on their toys ........... and it gets me thinking about the P3/4 replicas you sometimes see :)

Most important thing is we must have pics as we dont get many threads where people get the spanners on their toys

Agree, but Im not sure there's much interest on this forum any more? Ive just finished a complete rebuild on a V12 but didn't bother posting up.

Agree, but Im not sure there's much interest on this forum any more? Ive just finished a complete rebuild on a V12 but didn't bother posting up.

I think if you look at the post view count of the technical/resto threads there's plenty of interest. It's just a lack of general replies/posting that is the problem. I'd have loved to see pics of your rebuild.

My 250LC resto has 105k views and that's as boring as hell :D

Last edited:
Nice project especially if you are doing lots of the build yourself. Whilst making a bodyshell is just making a shell and wont upset the handling/drive/etc suspension and chassis design is another thing as mess up and you have either a structurally dangerous car, or something that handles like a real pig. Unless you are trying to get a toolroom copy of the original, using a proven chassis set up will save you a massive load of time and hassle.

I would have a close look at kit cars (Cobras etc) to see if you can find something thats close to your wheelbase and track, and then use that as a basis.

Another alternative is to use your Maserati base vehicle and "modify" it. This will help get round the current construction regulations that are in force for kit cars. I know its taking the piss but as long as you use the same engine and weld the chassis number onto your new chassis its kind of still the original car. :laugh:

Most important thing is we must have pics as we dont get many threads where people get the spanners on their toys ........... and it gets me thinking about the P3/4 replicas you sometimes see :)

250 GTO Bodyshell.jpg

Hi Thanks for all the reply's, here is a pic of the body so far and hopefully we will be getting back on it very soon, Regards DM

Interesting project and would be great to see pictures of it on here. Good luck with it :thumbsup:

Only advice/comment - don’t badge it as a Ferrari or original GTO. Feel the same about all replicas and ‘recreations’ - very cool as long as they don’t try to make out they are the real deal. As soon as they do, very very uncool........imo :)

I am not very cool, so yes I will have the Horse in the grill and some nice fender badges, and I am sure no one will think it is the real thing ?? Regards DM