What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 Re-trim

Nosevi

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all.

Was talking to someone earlier and they asked how my re-trim was going. Was going to wait till all was done but will post up some sneak previews pending a proper post of the finished article. So far most bits have been re-trimmed, just the last few bits to go then it all needs to be put back together. You may notice in shot 2 that's the top of the dash which in a 348 isn't normally leather. Back when the cars were built Ferrari used a fair amount of vinyl instead and in a 348 that includes the upper dash. windscreen pillars and suround, back parcel shelf and the bits around the back windscreen (does in mine anyway). The doors, however are leather which gives a very slight texture and sheen difference between different areas of the car. With mine the vinyl is also a bit shiny which does give quite a bit of glare on the windscreen when it's sunny. Although it pains me to say it, I was never that much of a traditionalist so have decided to get the lot stripped out and re-trimmed in black leather instead. For anyone contemplating a re-trim I found that 'Sateen' leather from Andrew Muirhead was about the best texture and colour match I could get to the original as it has a very fine grain. The colour was spot on compared to my original but if it's off they say they can colour match anyway. Carpets will also be replaced.

AJ's executive summary: Re-trim going well, here's some, rest to follow. :thumbsup:

p.s. It's a tad less yellow in real life, just a bit lighter, but resisted the temptation to photoshop it (mostly coz I'd bugger it up!)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 842
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 826
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 822
Last edited:
Thanks. As per the p.s. it's less yellow in real life, just didn't want to mess with the photos. Sorry forgot to add to the executive summary...... :)

I see, then your ES should have read 're-trim - happy but need new camera' :thumbsup:

Ok, leather wise it's the colour of the first of these pics, the texture of the second. It's Andrew Muirhead Sateen Linen. Was pretty much spot on for a match to what was there before just the lights and phone camera want to make it look yellow.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 741
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:
Seats look Great! :thumbsup:,

Dash looks amazing. What a difference, you've gone up market there!:dude:

Will that be marked down in the concours examination now :grin:

Matt

Seats look Great! :thumbsup:,

Dash looks amazing. What a difference, you've gone up market there!:dude:

Will that be marked down in the concours examination now :grin:

Matt

Thanks. Not sure I'd do all that well, tbh. I know nothing about concours judging but wouldn't I loose quite a few points for lack of originality? I do think replacing the bits I have done in leather will improve things to my eye but if you actually look at the black in a 348, more than half isn't leather so it's quite a big change. Added to that I've gone away from using the same carpet and gone for a fairly good quality one which I like better. I'm told there'll be no issues with the moulding round the wheel arches but it was tough to find a carpet of the right quality that was wide enough as I believe the front is all one piece. It's pretty much the same colour just a nicer finish.

Just clarifying what I've said about the carpet, it's a nicer finish than what's in there now ie it's 20 odd years old. Maybe buying new carpet direct from ferrari is the smart move, I'll just have to see.

Morning, Just thought I'd post up some pics of how things are going. Although I've called this thread a "re-trim", which obviously it is, it's really a full interior job. This is most of what's been done so far, just the instrument cluster, the bits around the rear window and the parcel shelf to go. Also, used my trusty iphone 4S this time which gives the colour about right.

Sorry for the first shot being out of focus but hopefully it gives an idea.

Attachments

• z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 661
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 682
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 679
This will give a better idea of some of the detail as well as the seat a bit better than the previous yellow pics.....

Attachments

• z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 504
  • z5.jpg
    z5.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 515
  • z6.jpg
    z6.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 510
I commented earlier on the vinyl that was used in Ferraris at about this time. Clearly it's down to individual taste to a certain degree, but I chose to strip it out and replace it with the same leather that I had the doors trimmed in. This gives an idea of the difference. Some may prefer the slightly shinier original, I just prefer it a bit more matt and with a finer grain. as was pointed out, this isn't going to score well with any concours judges.

Attachments

• z8.jpg
    z8.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 506
  • z7.jpg
    z7.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 503
Lastly just a few shots of what's currently left of my car. My carpet looked pretty good when it was in, it's not till everything was taken out that it showed it's true colours - quite literally. Faded in places, dirt ground in in others, and pretty ragged. As I said looked ok in the car. This also shows some bits all bagged up etc. Guessing you have to on this. And lastly my car interior right now. As I said, bit more than a re-trim, will have to see how it looks at the end. Will keep you posted.

Attachments

• z9.jpg
    z9.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 490
  • z10.jpg
    z10.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 501
  • z11.jpg
    z11.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 505
Pete

The pics give a great taste as to how good your car will be. The stripped out interior looks a little scary at the mo - when is it all due to be back together?

By the way, on the concours front, Ray Ferguson won with both his 348's when thay had (some) new leather!

Can't wait to see the result.

Pete

The pics give a great taste as to how good your car will be. The stripped out interior looks a little scary at the mo - when is it all due to be back together?

By the way, on the concours front, Ray Ferguson won with both his 348's when thay had (some) new leather!

Can't wait to see the result.

Hi Clive. You're not wrong re the scary pic of everything stripped out - just hope his labelling was good on all those wires etc. It's all due to be done in about 2 weeks time. On the concours front, it's not really my thing, tbh. I'll go and take my car next year but I'm not so sure about entering and having someone point out every bit I've changed. I'm kind of doing my car how I want her, still trying to keep a classy look but I am changing a few bits and bobs. The dash and windscreen surround being matt leather rather than vinyl for instance will change the look, some may not like it but I just wanted it that way. We'll have to see how it looks when it's all back together.

Well, she's finally done! Car was away for just shy of 8 weeks but I'm really pleased with the result. Every interior panel was retrimmed including ECU covers, roof storage inserts, back shelf, round windows, the lot. Also had new carpet put in as mine looked pretty awful once you had taken all the trim out and had a look at it - faded in parts, ground in dirt in others. In the pics some of the shots of carpet look a little pink (passenger side foot well for example) but that's just how the light hit it, it's more like the colour in the other shots. Lastly a shot of her back in the drive - finally!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 431
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 428
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 424
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 438
That looks really nice Pete, a credit to the guys that did it :thumbsup:

have you got any pics of the carpets going in.Just to see how they did it ??

That looks really nice Pete, a credit to the guys that did it :thumbsup:

have you got any pics of the carpets going in.Just to see how they did it ??

Thanks Steve. I'll ask the guy who did the work as I didn't see it go in.

I decided to get other carpet as opposed to going for a new set from Ferrari which did cause some problems as obviously it wasn't moulded as the original is and as the main piece is all one bit it wasn't straight forward to do. Round the inner wheel arches were the only difficult area and you can see where he's had to work the carpet a bit to get it to work. It looks good and you would never know that it's a 'compromise' unless you know how the original looks but the carpet is a bit thicker than the original and is wool based which I wanted. You'll also probably notice in some places there's a red leather edge that isn't there on the original (edge of centre console). This is basically because the carpet is thicker than the original. That leather trim is also on all the bits that have it on the original carpet.

So all in all some compromises in order to get the carpet I wanted but it works pretty well.

Looks good Pete

I'll ask - how much ?

(PM if top secret)

:)

Hi AJ, no not top secret but comes with a covering note as it wasn't all that cheap. When I say everything is retrimmed, I do mean everything. Bits that are a tad out of the way were still done so the whole interior matches. An example of this is inside the rear roof arches and under the rear roof arch round the lights, switches and cloth trim areas. Also every bit of leather or vinyl covered trim (and there were way more than I thought) was stripped and retrimmed. And it was in good scottish leather - had to buy 4 hides.

Anyway, enough excuses. The bill was £6K